Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
itachi uchiha

is game development industry work culture toxic

12 posts in this topic

i heard that game developer lifestyle is toxic.they have to work inhuman hours.is it true. i need to get 5 hours  everyday for my necessary things like meditation,selfhlep,relegion work etc .will i get those hours

It's the same in pretty much any line of work though. Ask anyone in any field to complain about something and they'll gladly complain for 20 minutes straight. Don't be so bothered by opinions of others, if your heart is in the right place you'll find the right circumstances for you.

Unless your have a real passion for video games i wouldn’t work in that field. The crunch time is notorious, even though improvements to the work circumstances are being made for employees.

If you have an interest for design or computer science in general, i would go into another field. But that’s me

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@vizual my life purposr is to be a police inspector but i will not make it.it has an exam i need to pass within 5 years.4.5 million people apply for it and i have to be within 1000 rank to secure job.so i am considering other carrear options

Games are the 1st love of my life.so i thought i would take it as a carrear.but now i lost meaning for gaming.everyone says gaming industry is toxic.so i will settle with programming

What can i say , i will never escape wage slavery.all my passions  cannot be marketed and hence will not earn me money

Companies will vary with regards to how toxic they are and how many hours they work.  Could look on glassdoor.com to try to find some that seem to have the best employee reviews and ranks.

My brothers both loved gaming and both went into software engineering and really like it.

If you have a passion for games and really want to design them, you could still go for it.

Playing the game won't be the same as developing it.

Why do you want to be a police inspector?  Wow that does sound like it is pretty tough to get in to.

4 minutes ago, PepperBlossoms said:

Why do you want to be a police inspector?  Wow that does sound like it is pretty tough to get in to.

I have a long history of getting abused .so i thought i will explore carrears in protection services.also i cannot earn money from martial art so i figured i would be a police officer.not low level or high level but in middle level.top and high are toxic and middle level police officer is healthy.i target a reputed branch of police.

Also being a sherlock homes is not that hard.they will give all the training and transform an ordinary guy like me into sherlock.also the techniques, method  for doing so is hidden/protected from common masses because if everyone have access to that then it will be very difficult to run a country

There is a range between unhealthy and healthy work environments that applies to all industries. Some industries can have overall better working conditions than others and some industries can have overall more difficult working conditions than other industries.

Regarding game development they are definitely issues in a certain number of big studios, however, you don't have to work for them if your health is important. If this is where you want to go, then I'm sure that it's possible to find companies who value their employees and offer healthy working conditions, you just need to search for them. You will also have to carefully read the agreement if you get there so that you can quit quickly if you don't like the work environment.

1 hour ago, itachi uchiha said:

I have a long history of getting abused .so i thought i will explore carrears in protection services.also i cannot earn money from martial art so i figured i would be a police officer.not low level or high level but in middle level.top and high are toxic and middle level police officer is healthy.i target a reputed branch of police.

Also being a sherlock homes is not that hard.they will give all the training and transform an ordinary guy like me into sherlock.also the techniques, method  for doing so is hidden/protected from common masses because if everyone have access to that then it will be very difficult to run a country

I am so sorry to hear that you have been abused.  That must have been tough.

There are lots of ways to help people who have been abused.  Doing something with police would be one like you have come up with - another would be doing something with counseling/therapy so that you can psychologically help the victims heal and would also be investigative into their mind/past experiences.

Other investigative careers also include writing, teaching, medicine, engineering, art - it will just differ as to what is being investigated, what is being healed, what is being focused on, etc.

Or just other protective careers would include fire fighter, trainer... I guess one could look at lots of careers and find various aspects of it that could be considered protective and various aspects that could be investigative - and other things.

I hope you've been able to work on healing from the abuse and that it isn't still happening.  Best of luck.

If you're working for a AAA studio, it's toxic as hell. Most people quit because it is not sustainable with having any kind of life outside of game dev.

AAA game development is a human meatgrinder.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 30-9-2021 at 2:09 PM, Leo Gura said:

If you're working for a AAA studio, it's toxic as hell. Most people quit because it is not sustainable with having any kind of life outside of game dev.

AAA game development is a human meatgrinder.

How can low LOC people develop themselves so high pff

In Tate we trust