Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DocWatts

Any practical advice for how to begin contemplative meditation?

11 posts in this topic

Newbie/Intermediate question for experienced mediators.

I've been doing a basic mindfulness meditation routine consistently for the last six months or so, and was considering other types of meditation techniques to begin experimenting with once I've calmed my mind.

As far as contemplative meditation in particular, is the only real difference between contemplating something in meditative vs non meditative states the fact that it's being done from a calm or empty state of mind? Or are there deliberative steps one is supposed to be doing for this type of practice?

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

4 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

As far as contemplative meditation in particular, is the only real difference between contemplating something in meditative vs non meditative states the fact that it's being done from a calm or empty state of mind?

In my experience, one way to go about it is through thinking - trying to "reach" the answer to your contemplation, by thinking about it. It can be useful, but imo it's not the best way to go about contemplation.

The other way is to set an intention, let the intention go, empty your mind, have fun, and let the insight arise naturally. Suddenly, a thought will pop up, which will lead to an "aha-moment". Feels great and shows the magic of the receiving mode. The universe always communicates with you, you just gotta listen. You can listen while you're meditating, but listening is not exclusive to meditation. In a sense, everything is meditation.

11 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

Or are there deliberative steps one is supposed to be doing for this type of practice?

Put feeling first, choose perspectives which feel better to you, and focus on feeling good. One thought/perspective at a time. The rest takes care of itself.

This is an excerpt from Adyashanti's book Way of Liberation. You might find it useful:

Contemplation is the art of holding a word or a phrase patiently in the silence and stillness of awareness until it begins to disclose deeper and deeper meanings and understandings. Contemplation has the power to transcend beyond (not regress back from) the limits of analytical thought and logic, and open consciousness up to an order of wisdom and Truth that can only be described as revelation.

I have included some useful short phrases in this section, but any part of this book can be used as an object for contemplation. Take a short phrase as your object of contemplation and simply hold it in your awareness for some time. Do not analyze or philosophize about it. And do not get lost in your imagination either. Just hold the phrase in awareness. Then be still. Let its meaning germinate within you. Then bring the word or phrase back into awareness again. Hold it there for some time, and then let it go and be still again. With a little practice you will get the hang of it and find your own rhythm.

Edited by nistake

• Contemplation can come from a deep desire and curiosity to KNOW, and thus be initiated through posing a question, which is then surrendered to experience itself
  • It can also spontaneously arise out of silent sitting, in fact I would say that silence often leads to contemplation and contemplation often leads to silence
  • It's a dance between holding the curiosity and letting go of trying to go anywhere
  • Love for the truth (= for yourself) is like steroids for contemplation
  • Contemplation, and the understanding of the process of contemplating, deepens with your depth of consciousness. It is a self-revealing process.
7 minutes ago, nistake said:

@DocWatts Also, you can use journaling as a form of contemplation. That works better for me for some reason.

I second this, for me personally journaling/contemplating aloud is most powerful. I start contemplating what God is and quickly fall into silent, curious being.

I think the most important point is this: Your experience right now is where you can start your contemplation. All is truth, and so every facet of your experience can ultimately lead you to what reality is. But along the way, it can shed many false beliefs. So although "Who am I" is amazingly potent, it's also fine to just start with

• the sensation of gravity
  • the sensation of pain
  • the substantiality in your experience
  • the feeling of density
  • the difference between one thing and another

All these are direct, immediate things you can contemplate. Allow these things to reveal themselves, don't look for a specific answer, and you're bound to arrive at deep insight :) 

contemplation is the opposite of meditation, both are fine of course, opposites like bod and god

So oftentimes when I'm reading a book and come across something that challenges my preconceptions on something, I'll go for a walk and deconstruct the idea for awhile and if the idea has validity integrate it into my conceptual system.

If this is my 'default' mode of contemplation in non meditative states, would I be better off leaving deconstruction and analytic thought patterns behind while meditating and focus purely on sensations and feelings? Or would I ideally want to integrate analytic methods in to the practice once I get more comfortable with it?

So let's say I wanted to focus on the sensation of sight for instance with the intuition that my visual field is a mentally constructed, what would a contemplative meditation on that 'look like' so to speak (pun intended).

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

4 hours ago, DocWatts said:

So let's say I wanted to focus on the sensation of sight for instance with the intuition that my visual field is a mentally constructed, what would a contemplative meditation on that 'look like' so to speak (pun intended).

I'd say the key here is that, when you're using language, you are clear about where you're going - not for the language/concept itself, but what it is actually pointing to in your own experience RIGHT NOW. So use language for understanding, it can be helpful, but always eventually relate it to direct experience. What you discover in your experience might then clarify something and update your previously held concept about it. In this way, the conceptual framework and the direct investigation enhance each other. Direct experience is king, but as far as I can tell from your description, you're having a solid way of cognitively juggling and integrating perspectives, which is important as well. Now take it all the way :) 

Edited by peanutspathtotruth

8 hours ago, DocWatts said:

If this is my 'default' mode of contemplation in non meditative states, would I be better off leaving deconstruction and analytic thought patterns behind while meditating and focus purely on sensations and feelings? Or would I ideally want to integrate analytic methods in to the practice once I get more comfortable with it?

It is not just about letting go of thought patterns. Sensations and feelings are also products of the conditioned mind.

In meditation, the purest moments are spacious. Thoughts and feelings come and go, but you are the space itself. Realize your ultimate nature as the sky, across which the clouds of the conditioned mind come and go.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.