Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
actualizing25

What biases are the most important to let go of?

12 posts in this topic

So Im making a list of my biases and Im trying to find out which ones are the most important to let go of. There are biases which are easy for me to let go of and then there are biases which are quite difficult to let go of. An easy bias to let go of would be the bias for specific type of music. I can listen to all kinds of music without attaching myself to one genre. Another bias that I try to let go of is the  bias for my family and my friends. So next year Im moving out and with that I will be able to let go of that bias. I will also meet new people then, so my bias for my current friends will also be let go of. Of course I will still see my family and the friends I have here, but I have to learn to let them go and not attach myself so much to them. A bias that is difficult for me to let go of, would be my bias for enlightenment. That will be quite difficult. My bias towards women (as a heterosexual man) is another bias that will be difficult to let go of, but with practice I can open myself more and more to the other sex. Other biases of mine are: bias for health, bias for comfort, bias for the status quo and bias for entertainment (entertaining myself with YouTube-videos for example).

What do you guys think, are the most important biases that someone can let go of that will bring them closer to god/absolute reality?

thanks, appreciate your answers :D

Everyone has biases.  Most are benign, like taste in music or preferring chocolate over vanilla.  A bias that may be a problem is where it either negatively impacts other people (bias for racism) or intolerance for other peoples choices.  Any bias where we don't feel like we have any freedom around it, or it occupies an inordinate amount of our time (like OCD) is likely one to work on.  The first step is getting clear on them in the first place.

Let go of the biases that are most hypnotizing now, and which keep you from Self-realization. 

Well have you renounced these passing pleasures
So dear to the senses, Nachiketa,
And turned your back on the way of the world
That makes mankind forget the goal of life.
Far apart are wisdom and ignorance.
The first leads one to Self-realization;
The second makes one more and more
Estranged from one's real Self.

- Katha Upanishad 2:3-4

One person's Self-occluding bias is different from another's. Even within that person's life, the biases needing to be let go of in that moment, will likely change.

Discard whatever keeps you from being present, here and now.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Ramana Maharshi said: "In deep sleep you are entirely free from thoughts, because the ‘I’-thought is absent. The moment the ‘I’-thought rises on waking, all other thoughts rush out spontaneously. The wisest thing for one to do is therefore to catch hold of this leading thought, the ‘I’-thought, and dissect it – who and what it is – giving thereby no chance to other thoughts to distract one. There lies the true value of the vichara and its efficacy"

Edited by SriSriJustinBieber

@actualizing25 For myself letting go of biases that kept me from feeling and expressing love have been the most transformative. 

Edited by Matthew85

3 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

Another bias that I try to let go of is the  bias for my family and my friends. So next year Im moving out and with that I will be able to let go of that bias. I will also meet new people then, so my bias for my current friends will also be let go of.

Why wait to let it go?

@cetus Because Im still a student and I can still live at home. Next year im graduating and then I will move out. I try to enjoy the time with my family and friends here.

5 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

I try to enjoy the time with my family and friends here.

Do that. After all it's all you've got for this fleeting moment.

all biases equally

this includes the bias of 'not having biases' being better than 'having bias'

Edited by GoobyBooby

a good way to frame this bias deconstruction is in terms of structure vs. fluidity

we need some structure e.g. we need to eat something, we need to sleep 

fluidity is going with the flow, the flow state, functioning in god mode, letting god choose 

all bias is needing survival ...

can i be happy to die when i go to bed tonight, give everything up, sign my will and then wake up and enjoy thenceforth in god mode?

kill the structure and let god love what god will

i personally am able to do this with food, have no no-no's, i enjoy the inpalatable as much as the mouthwatering, truth told the former makes the later that much better

and as far as my lifestyle goes, have incorporated a daily 4-hr block where i do nothing ... something ... anything ... everything ... whatever, is perfectly good

Edited by gettoefl