Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Seeker

Attempt to Integrate Leo, Frank Yang and Jed McKenna

32 posts in this topic

I think Leo’s epistemics are the most correct, with respect to reality being God and love, as well as awakening having many facets that go deeper.

I think he is right about enlightenment not being the end of searching but an opportunity to go further and find infinitely more.

Frank Yang seems to be an example of someone who has found satisfaction in having awakened, and no-longer has the same motivating factor that brought him to enlightenment, because his motivation was not that of understanding everything, but was more akin to finding what it is that is true beyond this illusory world.

Jed McKenna had a similar drive. Most important for him was to no-longer live in a state of falsehood, so whether or not he had a Buddhist no-self awakening, he would still be happy having no found something eternally true, beyond the false or illusory. He might not even care to know if it was love or not.

Leo might lack the same fulfillment that Frank and Jed might share because he is still pursuing, and he is pursuing more understanding simply because that is his disposition, not because of lack of knowing. 

when one relaxes like Jed or Frank, they seem more able to embody the truth of enlightenment because they are giving themselves to the disposition that it suggests, that being needlessness.

i think it is a difference in their natures.

For Leo to embody his awakenings more he would probably need to loosen up on his drive to keep finding more.

this is my first attempt?

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

Jed mckenna puts focus on reclaiming authority.  S̶o̶ make of these people what you will, sir 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

5 minutes ago, lmfao said:

Jed mckenna puts focus on reclaiming authority.  S̶o̶ make of these people what you will, sir 

Nice, I haven't dove into Jed yet.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

What Frank talks about is not what Leo talks about. Frank is beyond enlightenment -- the only enlightenment -- the end of mystical experiences.

7 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

@Bob Seeker so now the question is what about you?  Where does your path lead? 

Haha, I’ve gotta be workin’ construction tomorrow, 6:30 sharp!

i do think there’s value in considering these things though, because one does choose a path using the mind at least in part. The mind has to have some sort of a map.

Edited by Bob Seeker

6 minutes ago, The0Self said:

What Frank talks about is not what Leo talks about. Frank is beyond enlightenment -- the only enlightenment -- the end of mystical experiences.

The end is the beginning and the beginning  is the end

14 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Jed is a phase ?

Edited by Bob Seeker

19 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Thought Art He's a funny man, a bizarre read

A couple of chapters into his second book he claims he has more to say. Whatever the case I'm enjoying it

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

13 minutes ago, Bob Seeker said:

The end is the beginning and the beginning  is the end

Yes but many think that liberation is just being convinced that there is no liberation to achieve -- but in that case there's still someone there merely thinking they're done. Many other ideas for what it is, but what it is can't be imagined. Liberation/enlightenment actually happens a bit more completely than that, liberation is transcended like everything else (everything is empty of existing in reality), but there's absolutely no separation left to experience exactly what that's like (which is why what enlightenment is like cannot be imagined). It really is different from God-realization and more complete -- there are no mystical experiences after liberation.

Edited by The0Self

5 minutes ago, The0Self said:

reality), but there's absolutely no separation left to experience exactly what that's like.

Are you speaking of cessation here?

Just now, Bob Seeker said:

Are you speaking of cessation here?

Liberation/enlightenment. A cessation is a sort of glimpse. I'm talking about the end of cessations.

44 minutes ago, Bob Seeker said:

@The0Self what path do you suspect might be the best way to get to the most ultimate truth, if there are better or worse paths?

Many would say to advise on this is to miss the point, but if you’re seeking you’re gonna seek, so TMI by Culadasa is as good a place as any to start. It’s just that enlightenment is not an achievement or prize that you get.

LOL. Integrate all those from the Brandon Rohe Holon as a rock. 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

I think it’s harder to embody your deepest insights while having strong commitments and purpose. 

it’s like the story in the alchemist of trying to take in the sights of a beautiful palace while balancing an egg on a spoon.

This could also differentiate how gurus appear to us

I mean, even a chimp would be enlightened if they were liberated from their duty of being a chimp

Edited by Bob Seeker

"Perfect brilliant stillness" by David Carse is similar to Jed, but less rambling, more to the point, less personal stories, and no constant sexual adventures (since Jed is always hanging around with women, many of which are beautiful. I assume he sleeps with them, but he doesn't admit it in the books. Maybe that's why he's anonymous.)

Read "Perfect brilliant stillness" by David Carse here for free (legally): https://www.perfectbrilliantstillness.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Book-from-PerfectBrilliantStillness.org_.pdf

@Bob Seeker I do, but he passed away recently. In my view he was more gentle than portrayed in the books. I would say he might have suggested to let the attempt to integrate him go.. well if you'd have asked him for a suggestion anyway

Edited by Waken