Define Enlightenment

47 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2016 at 8:36 AM, DizIzMikey said:

Simply put

Knowing who I am 

Or what you are.
That you just are.

Edited by Happiness

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@goodguy I'll answer with a thought experiment. No need to answer me, just imagine yourself in this situation.

For this example, let's say your name is "Joe" (but replace with your name). Now, imagine that you thought you were "Joe" your whole life, and then one day "Joe" goes about his day without you, but you're still there, experiencing everything that "Joe" does. What would that mean to you?

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

@goodguy I'll answer with a thought experiment. No need to answer me, just imagine yourself in this situation.

For this example, let's say your name is "Joe" (but replace with your name). Now, imagine that you thought you were "Joe" your whole life, and then one day "Joe" goes about his day without you, but you're still there, experiencing everything that "Joe" does. What would that mean to you?

You're still incorporating a "you"

So "I'd" reflect on this day saying "I" was an "Advanced Joe"

Another thought experiment 

What is "was"

What is "an" 

^_^

Edited by Kenya

Enlightenment is a simple realization that everything is as it should be.

That is the definition of enlightenment: everything is as it should be, everything is utterly perfect as it is. That feeling...and you are suddenly at home. Nothing is being missed. You are part, an organic part of this tremendous, beautiful whole. You are relaxed in it, surrendered in it. You don´t exist separately – all separation has disappeared.

A great rejoicing happens, because with the ego disappearing there is no worry left, with the ego disappearing there is no anguish left, with the ego disappearing there is no possibility of death any more. This is what enlightenment is. It is the understanding that all is good, that all is beautiful – and it is beautiful as it is. Everything is in tremendous harmony, in accord.

The self is the imagined statue in a block of marble - enlightenment is the realization that there are no statues,  just the block. 

Interesting topic. When you read them all one after the other, it sounds a bit like someone who's just been prescribed Lithium lol.

I had a simple dream many years ago that I looked out into the back garden of my childhood and saw in the dark of night and blue light in the garden of extreme intensity. And I went to pick up that blue light and it gave me a clear head freedom from pain, clarity of thought, I could breath, I could feel confident of who I was, and I had the freewill to surrender. This was a true dream I had and I was kinda hoping I could find it in Enlightenment one day.

Edited by Neo

On 8/31/2016 at 2:21 AM, Makis said:

Are you?

I AM

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

5 minutes ago, Beam said:

Enlightenment is a concept

@Beam So true. Enlightenment exists only in the conceptual mind.

On 31 augustus 2016 at 9:34 PM, Makis said:

These may be the last deceptions of the ego to believe that enlightenment will be a certain way, where there is something at least very abstract for itself to identify with. So it comes up with imaginations like "it is realized that I am consciousness", "i am awareness", "I am spaciousness", "I am everything", "I am divine", "I am the now" or maybe just "I am". But the thing is, there is just no I. :) And there is nothing there to be in relationship with enlightenment. There is no one realizing enlightenment, seeing enlightenment or witnessing enlightenment. There is just what is, including consciousness, but there is no I. I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just telling it like it is.

Then why do great teachers like Eckhart Tolle who seemingly really know what they are talking about keep on referring to consciousness as I Am?

My biggest awakening experience was when I was able to observe this I Am and see how it is just a concept of the mind. 

@Beam I just looked this up. Thought it was interesting. It seems to fit here.

Mental model[edit]

Further information: Mental model, Representation (psychology), and Cognitive model

In cognitive psychology and philosophy of mind, a mental model is a representation of something in the mind,[10] but a mental model may also refer to a nonphysical external model of the mind itself.[11]

@cetus56   My goal is become more useful to myself and others perhaps that is where true enlightenment lies , I can only guess.

ccb160d06cebf788a64b98fa3f731ad5.jpg

20 minutes ago, Makis said:

No, that's just a thought

and who is aware that is just a thought??

Edited by abrakamowse

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

concepts everywhere and old outdated ones at that , I'm bad !  lmao

3 minutes ago, Makis said:

Reality is without anyone in it

And who is aware of that?

1 minute ago, Makis said:

There is no separation between a perceiver and the perceived

And ? what does that prove?

1 minute ago, Makis said:

There is no you.

I agree there's no you... but we are talking about I AM...

Depends on the perspective where you are looking. The "I Am this" doesn't exist. But the being-ness of I AM does. I know is just a matter of words, words are concepts but the idea is that the big I AM is reality.

The I AM is everything, and nothing at the same time. And cannot be grasped or objectified.

When the realization that "I AM nothing" comes, we understand that the "I AM" is everything.