assx95

What is the difference between contemplation and introspection?

7 posts in this topic

From what I understand, introspection is about feeling inwards, which I confuse with being mindful of my feelings, and of things around me. Do I introspect using a journal? What do I introspect about? My logical mind wants a straight A to B to C method for doing it. While what I understand by contemplating, using a journal, is writing down a question, and letting the answers come to me? Thinking about it. I'm confused. 

Also, are these the right questions to contemplate? 

1. How should I live my life? 
2. What is the meaning of life? 
3. Why do I suck in my dating life? 
4. Why am I not a success? 

Edited by assx95

2 hours ago, assx95 said:

From what I understand, introspection is about feeling inwards, which I confuse with being mindful of my feelings, and of things around me. Do I introspect using a journal? What do I introspect about? My logical mind wants a straight A to B to C method for doing it. While what I understand by contemplating, using a journal, is writing down a question, and letting the answers come to me? Thinking about it. I'm confused. 

Introspection is seeing your thoughts and feeling and let go of them. They are what defines your life and by letting go you transform them and your life.

1. How should I live my life? 

You do whatever you want to do in your life so ask yourself what you want to do in your life. Let go of all resistant thoughts and feelings that come up when you do know what you want.

2. What is the meaning of life? 

Be happy by doing what you want to do and discard the things you don't want to do.

3. Why do I suck in my dating life? 

That's a belief. If you want to find someone to share a life with then date. See what feelings come up and let go of them. They are what stands between you and what you want to have.

4. Why am I not a success? 

Also a belief. Focus on what you want and see the resistant feelings that come up. Notice that even the desire to be a success is resistance to it because it implies you have to struggle to get it.

If you want a cup of coffee in the morning you make yourself a cup of coffee. No desire was there because you knew that it was already yours. But if the coffee package was empty then desire came up because you knew you couldn't get it and you had to struggle yourself to the store to get more coffee. If resistant feelings is let go it becomes effortless action.

Contemplation can be about anything.. why is the sky blue? What does my dog dream about? How do glasses work? 

Introspection is contemplation aimed at itself.  Who or what is contemplating? What am I? 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

They are similar.

But contemplation specifically focuses on asking questions and gaining answers/insights whereas introspection is a more general function of looking inward and observing the operations of your own psyche. You could also call introspection mindfulness.

To me contemplation is a more cognitive, verbal activity. Introspection is more about feeling. Although of course you can mix them together.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Great thread! I want to see more like this

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Introspection = deep feeling, seeing

Contemplating = deep thinking, creating

During contemplative journaling I introspect and feel a topic. I listen to silence what comes up from direct experience that crystalizes into a thought. What is then written is close to truth. It was first felt and derived from that into a thought structure. Now there are thoughts being connected to each other. Every thought arises from that introspection. By feeling into yourself and truly listening, you see yourself.

It's basically what I did here in this description of journaling. I checked in how it feels and derived that into a thought being woven into a sentence.

Edited by Loving Radiance

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.