tatsumaru

How to fix dry skin for males?

13 posts in this topic

I have overall dry skin on my face, scalp and my back. I would like to fix this from the inside without relying on cremes etc.
What could be the root cause of this?

I am already taking, magnesium citrate, vitamin C, vitamin K2.
I am not using any harsh shampoos or excessively hot water.

Do you live in a dry climate? Are you hydrated?

Tbh some people just run more dry than others and there's not much you can do internally to change the body's natural constitution, sorry to say. 

But if you are a naturally dry person, foods that are higher in quality fat and staying hydrated can help. 

Don't be so opposed to topical solutions. Once you've done all you can internally, try shea butter, olive oil(made for skin) castor oil, these are all natural, single ingredient moisturizers that can actually improve skin's dryness and overall quality. 

Something else you might consider is doing "no-poo" which is the no shampoo method for your hair. It allows your hair to regulate back to its natural cleansing routine and will help with dry scalp as its oils are not being stripped (any shampoo, no matter how gentle, is stripping the scalp of its natural oils).

"You Create Magic" 

solution: hard dry fasting

don't argue just do your research AND try it

you're welcome

Edited by levani

Vit D

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Zinc deficiency can slow down kerarinocyte turnover and so can retinol (vit A) deficiency. Look up some rich foods for both and test them out. 

Also ensure you consume enough fats in diet especially essential fatty acids. 

Chronic stress is also not something I'd discount as contributor (if that's a case)

Also what @Flowerfaeiry said, water hardness and climate are very relevant

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

Do you live in a dry climate? Are you hydrated?

Tbh some people just run more dry than others and there's not much you can do internally to change the body's natural constitution, sorry to say. 

But if you are a naturally dry person, foods that are higher in quality fat and staying hydrated can help. 

Don't be so opposed to topical solutions. Once you've done all you can internally, try shea butter, olive oil(made for skin) castor oil, these are all natural, single ingredient moisturizers that can actually improve skin's dryness and overall quality. 

Something else you might consider is doing "no-poo" which is the no shampoo method for your hair. It allows your hair to regulate back to its natural cleansing routine and will help with dry scalp as its oils are not being stripped (any shampoo, no matter how gentle, is stripping the scalp of its natural oils).

Climate is moderate. I stay hydrated - I make my own electrolyte drink in the morning with lemon, salt, potassium and magnesium and drink about 1.5 l water/day + eat plenty of veggies etc. I know topical solutions can work but a) I feel this is masking the problem, b) I don't want to have to coat myself with oils every day. I looked up the "no poo" method - scrubbing your head with ACV and Baking soda like a crazy person for 30 mins, no thanks. Honestly most of the times I don't need to use anything at all just hot water, I use shampoo like once every two weeks. For some reason my hair is fine and doesn't get too oily.

Have you tried increasing your water intake?  I'm just 48kg and I drink at least 2 liter a day

Edited by mivafofa
Forgot a word

3 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

I looked up the "no poo" method - scrubbing your head with ACV and Baking soda like a crazy person for 30 mins, no thanks. Honestly most of the times I don't need to use anything at all just hot water, I use shampoo like once every two weeks. For some reason my hair is fine and doesn't get too oily.

Just to clarify--there are many different ways of doing "no poo" and that is one of the worst-- although most popular. 

I'm kinda possessive of this method because it's worked really well to heal my scalp and hair so had to defend my advice a bit lol. 

I just water wash and occasionally use shampoo to remove buildup that comes from life. 

Edited by Flowerfaeiry

"You Create Magic" 

3 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

Climate is moderate. I stay hydrated - I make my own electrolyte drink in the morning with lemon, salt, potassium and magnesium and drink about 1.5 l water/day + eat plenty of veggies etc. I know topical solutions can work but a) I feel this is masking the problem, b) I don't want to have to coat myself with oils every day. I looked up the "no poo" method - scrubbing your head with ACV and Baking soda like a crazy person for 30 mins, no thanks. Honestly most of the times I don't need to use anything at all just hot water, I use shampoo like once every two weeks. For some reason my hair is fine and doesn't get too oily.

I'm also doing no poo with only water and it's going great. My scalp used to be so irritated from the chemicals in shampoo that are designed to remove oil, now no more irritation or scalp problems. Your "hair can be fine" while your scalp is dry underneat. This is kinda what shampoo does imo.

Do you wash your face with soap? Regardless of the soap you use being dry or not, any type of soap removes oil by design. If your face/scalp is dry it's because of a lack of oil (although lots of thing can be causing this lack). The body has been designed to maintain it's oil naturally but when you introduce chemicals that strip off the oil it creates an imbalance. If you don't put any soap in your face but still have a dry face then that might just be how your body is.

Edited by 4201

2 hours ago, 4201 said:

I'm also doing no poo with only water and it's going great. My scalp used to be so irritated from the chemicals in shampoo that are designed to remove oil, now no more irritation or scalp problems. Your "hair can be fine" while your scalp is dry underneat. This is kinda what shampoo does imo.

Do you wash your face with soap? Regardless of the soap you use being dry or not, any type of soap removes oil by design. If your face/scalp is dry it's because of a lack of oil (although lots of thing can be causing this lack). The body has been designed to maintain it's oil naturally but when you introduce chemicals that strip off the oil it creates an imbalance. If you don't put any soap in your face but still have a dry face then that might just be how your body is.

No soap.

5 hours ago, mivafofa said:

Have you tried increasing your water intake?  I'm just 48kg and I drink at least 2 liter a day

According to my research 1-1.5l per day is optimal for kidney health, too much water and kidneys are pumping and working needlessly.

Just now, tatsumaru said:

According to my research 1-1.5l per day is optimal for kidney health, too much water and kidneys are pumping and working needlessly.

You can also try relying on experience rather than research. 

Researches you did are not done onto you specifically, but onto some random other humans that functions differently than you. There's no needless working in trying to find what works for you.  Dry skin is usually a sign of dehydration. Maybe your body needs more who knows. You have test it for yourself. 

Pay attention if the air is dry in your room. 

If you're using some heat system make sure the windows are a little bit open. Also sun can dry it out. 

If it's still dry buy an air moisturizer.