The Monk

Facebook?!?!

31 posts in this topic

I deactivated Facebook the other day. I also stopped Snapchat and never had Instagram. Loving it so far, it's mostly just toxic noise, and egos trying to self aggrandise, and will encourage yourself to do so. Plus it's just a time waster and addicting. If you're using it for business purposes, I suppose you could just use an account for admin use of your page only.  

If Facebook is not useful for you and I mean useful tangibly, then don't use it.

Just unfallow from all your friend's posts on FB.

For me this worked . When I was seeing a  pic of them or some check-in in a fancy  place  on my wall, I would automatically start to go down on a spiral of negative thoughts about my self-worth and on  all kinds of victim mindsets. 

However, the best choice long-term would be to deactivate your account. Seeing certain  people from your past every day  won't help you to move on. 

Edited by Everyday

Nothing is wrong with Facebook per se, although i deleted it 5 years ago.

At first it seems like one is out of the Social Circle, because one don't know things that r going viral. But after some time had I Connections for everything. My roomate had FB and literally every stupid s**** he ranted und gossiped about was some FB content. After some time I thought "Ah, there is a new trend. I give that Ice Bucket Challenge 2 Weeks". Watch out for that extrem.

I have Whatsapp but want to transit to some saver alternative. 

SYY

Edited by supremeyingyang

Delete it! Facebook is a toy.

Only reason I'm still on is that I manage other peoples' channels, else I would not be.

On 6.12.2017 at 1:44 PM, supremeyingyang said:

@vibrate

lol. How can you say it's only a toy if you earn money (i guess it's you job) or reputation from FB?

To me, it's a toy, a distraction, mere entertainment. I lose a ton of time on facebook and I wish I could get off. But it is also a tool I use to market and campaign certain things (for others) so I need to use it.

I think you should delete it and live in reality. It’s better to talk to real people and have real friends than to sit alone in front of a screen and hunt for likes. 

1 hour ago, MaximilianIV said:

Now I'm choosing between norton vs avast. Better safe than sorry after all.

Windows Defender is all you need.

You can build a sense for safe/unsafe websites that will keep you more protected than any antivirus software.

6 minutes ago, Andreas said:

I think you should delete it and live in reality. It’s better to talk to real people and have real friends than to sit alone in front of a screen and hunt for likes. 

Online is as real as reality is real.

You aren't fully appreciating the benefits of long distance communication that can actually serve to further in person communication.

On 12.11.2016 at 7:09 PM, The Monk said:

Hey guys, 

I usually go on facebook, but then when I do i simply see posts riddled with hate, low consciousness, jealousy, and negative beliefs. And daily I usually spend 2 hours on average scrolling facebook, hoping to find something good, but what I come to realise is that it is just my ego manipulating me to prevent me from finding the truth or from doing what's important to me. But, the upside is I have friends that I contact through facebook, but rarely have a talk with them, I mainly just scroll continuously through these negative comments, as it brings me pleasure and distracts me.

Should I de-activate Facebook, and replace it with a more effective habit, that would be far more meaningful and fulfilling, within the long term?

First of all, the most important thing on actualized.org: Dont ask other people if you should do X.
Everyone projects their own lifes misery and experiences onto your question, sometimes not even that. Sometimes, they just listen to a youtube video where some 3rd guy tells them "X is bad" and they just adopt this as truthclaim without putting a second of critical thought or research into it. Its not their fault, we are just story telling monkeys and love shit like that. In reality, life is incredibly complex and NEVER a black or white thing. 

So, that said - here is the deal:
What would be the smart thing to do? 
Maybe instead of making it a binary question, why not try it and see for yourself? Why not abandon facebook for, lets say, 4 weeks and then come back and see how your life has changed? Maybe its 200% better, maybe its worse. Find that out.

Also, and this is my personal opinion: If you cant deal with "low conciousness" (which is a bullshit term if you ask me), jealousy and "negative believes" on a freaking website, then how are you supposed to deal with all that in real life? You will bombarded with all that crap everyday, all day, for the rest of your life. The enlightened thing is not to dodge anything negative, its to fully embrace it and see it for what it is. Everything else is spiritual bypassing and will lead you to hell. If I read a super negative comment on facebook, I literally have to laugh out loud. At a certain level of conciousness you start to embrace that stuff instead of hiding from it. 

Nontheless, social media addiction is a real thing. I know people in my direct social circle who waste hours everyday on instagram, making the perfect picture to hold up some fake identity. Personally, I dont mind those platforms at all - I use them daily, but maybe post like 3 pictures in one year. The problem is when the platform uses you and not the other way around.

Anyway, wanted to write more but got to go!

I hope you find yoru way,

Love, undeather!

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

This thread is three years old and the OP hasn’t visited the forum in 9 months.