PepperBlossoms

If Time is a Concept, Why Do We Have Memory?

27 posts in this topic

If nothing is happening and we are in a dream, imagining a past, how do we even have memory?? or an illusion of having memory???

Just like how when we wake up from a dream and see that the people/place/events were a dream, this very thing could be the same - taking up no space/no time/not happening.

I can see that to experience what we are experiencing, we have to have a memory otherwise the experience wouldn't work.  Could it be that we are looking around and we are constantly making up a story about ourselves/past (and that looking around includes not just what we see with our eyes but what we see in our mind).

If there is no absolute separation from inside/outside a house and apply that to inside/outside the body and inside/outside the mind - then the stuff happening in the internal is just as much reality as the external - but there is no where to divide the line between internal and external?? - so the "memory" isn't just in the head but also in the environment?? (Idk lol)

So the "memory" IS "reality"

But reality constantly changes so the memory constantly changes too?

And memory is tied to time but time is a concept and memory is a concept.. 

the memory isn't over there in the brain, just like reality isn't some other place - reality is right here. memory is right here too.?

--

consciousness has access to everything so it can see everything - but it has no memory so it can't take something from one moment to the next - there is no absolute dividing line between one moment to the next and between conciousness and moments - so the moments are consciousness - there are not several moments - just one (no time).  the consciousness sees what is in front of it as an appearance - but it is imagining what it sees?

Edited by PepperBlossoms

You know how flickbooks work? Every page exists you just flick from front to back and see an apparent moving object. Wherever you are in that book, the other pages exist just as much.

Memory allows for humans to survive and replicate through the apparent motion.

@RMQualtrough do all the pages already exist? is there no happening that makes a new page? or are we making new pages?

@PepperBlossoms I think they already exist. Both forwards and back. Outside of time infinity happens instantly, from outside of time the end of the universe has happened. From inside it seems eternal.

It is much like being stuck in The Jaunt (Stephen King short story).

Let's say you are in your kitchen right now. Think about your bedroom. What is your bedroom? A place in your imagination, right? Now go to the bedroom and think about the kitchen. What and where is the kitchen? Now, here as an imagined place/memory.

What you recall as being your kitchen while you're in another room is no different than the room you're in. It's infinite imagination.

"Words mean something because they point to meaning beyond themselves."

Your memories give you the impression of continuity & causality, thus creating a storyline.

Edited by Anahata

Chronological order gives the impression that what's happening now is the result or the continuation of past events.

Without dreaming up a past, reality would reveal itself to be groundless. Despite the fact that it is groundless in the absolute sense, reality is somehow designed to reveal it's nature at the right time, like.. divine timing. Of course, since God is dreaming it all up, the way everything is presenting itself must have an inteligent/perfect 'design'. 

When you become conscious enough the notion or impression of time passing completely vanishes. The present moment is you, you've always been it=here. The content/experience can become anything since you are the creator & the source. Your will is the 'remote control' which decide what channel you want to 'watch' out of your own infinity. Sometimes, when identifying with being a human being, God makes himself forget he is the remote control, the channels, the actors in the movie, the room, the screen and everything else but he also makes himself remember whenever you decide to since you=him. So God-realization is the purpose of life. You are the answer. Truth is it's own purpose. And God/You are Truth. And truth is love ❤ God is such a player lol :x

Edited by Anahata

Also, notice that when you walk you have the impression of moving with the current of time and it seems like you go from one place to another. In fact every move you make and any distance you walk, no matter how far you go, only what appears to be the world of form changes it's content, but the existence you feel that you are is static just like a movie. "Wherever you go there you are."  As an analogy, what happens in the movie is in a constant transformation yet the screen is not going anywhere. Same thing with reality. 

You've always been Here. But not here as in the same dream, here as the eternal consciousness. Here as not affected by time or space. Since time & space are part of your dream.

Memory is imagination.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If you live in a reality where someone has the power to stop time does that mean time stopped? 

Just now, Kambido said:

If you live in a reality where someone has the power to stop time does that mean time stopped? 

There is no time. Only You/Now.

The content of your experience contains the imaginary idea that time is real. You've been dreamimg it all up.

Where is your direct experience occuring?

When 1 becomes 2 in God's experience he is mirroring aspects of its infinity in different 'combinations' & recreating that novelty again and again aka the content changes. This second, next second, the other second, this minute, the other minute, third minute, one hour, one day, one month etc

What is a book without any word written in it?  It has no story. Yet you can write anything in there. It's up to you. You're the one that gives it meaning since You are the Source of any meaning you want. You are the author.

What would the present moment mean to you without your memories? Life. Pure Consciousness. Devoid of any story. Here and now. 

1, 1+1, 1+1+1, 1+1+1+1, 1+1+1+1+1

Edited by Anahata

2 minutes ago, Anahata said:

There is no time. Only You/Now.

Why go down that path? It's obviously both. In my infinite self, there is no time in that i know the end of my story... but that is the ultimate joke right? It's the ultimate spoiler of every story. Therefore, "time" in its many forms exists, bc god isn't just in on a joke. I don't find a reason why i should deny time in its many forms. I don't understand why i would deny time is just one of god's manifestations. If we can define it, hasn't it already been defined times infinity?  

51 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Memory is imagination.

Hmm... not really an argument when everything is imagination ;) 

3 minutes ago, HereToLearn said:

Hmm... not really an argument when everything is imagination ;) 

You're creating your memories each instant.

Past is literally fiction, it's created out of thin air.

It's just soooooooooooooo consistent :)

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Just now, Kambido said:

Why go down that path? It's obviously both. In my infinite self, there is no time in that i know the end of my story... but that is the ultimate joke right? It's the ultimate spoiler of every story. Therefore, "time" in its many forms exists, bc god isn't just in on a joke. I don't find a reason why i should deny time in its many forms. I don't understand why i would deny time is just one of god's manifestations. If we can define it, hasn't it already been defined times infinity?  

Ask yourself this question ? When will you experience "tomorrow"? 

1 minute ago, Anahata said:

Ask yourself this question ? When will you experience "tomorrow"? 

Me personally, as i create each note to my next song. I get your argument of the now only exists, but so does my concept of time. All we are doing is mental gymnastics around such an easy concept. Whether i count or not, put down numbers... even if my next song already exists, as of now, it doesn't exist until i make it exist. 

Just now, Kambido said:

Me personally, as i create each note to my next song. I get your argument of the now only exists, but so does my concept of time. All we are doing is mental gymnastics around such an easy concept. Whether i count or not, put down numbers... even if my next song already exists, as of now, it doesn't exist until i make it exist. 

The absolute is the source of the 'finite' experience, this specific customization of time being part of this specific experience you're having in this dream. It's an expression of Infinity indeed. There is no fragmentation since everything is occuring within consciousness. Which is amazing ❤ Enjoy ? I surely love it ?

Edited by Anahata

@PepperBlossoms

Remember something now. You will likely hear voices, see images and maybe start to feel something.

Then, ask yourself. Is there a difference between that experience and the experience before you started remembering something?

5 hours ago, PepperBlossoms said:

@RMQualtrough do all the pages already exist? is there no happening that makes a new page? or are we making new pages?

The pages just appear. And they can appear contextual / as part of a story.

As for why we have memory... Well, there's no real why, but how else would you be able to fool yourself into thinking you're someone? Memory reifies time which reifies experience of reality.

Edited by The0Self