Chrissy j

Personal Development With Enlightenment

106 posts in this topic

@Prabhaker I would not be suprised if god created my life just to have fun, because when you know how a magician does his tricks, it all becomes boring ~ and funny, in the end. 

This enlightenment stuff reminds me of when I was a kid, and I use to pretend that my figurines were real, and that soldiers were actually fighting each other in my living room. It reminds me of my mum calling me to eat dinner, and the illusion all rubbing off in an instant. 

I know what you mean though

Edited by electroBeam

@Vercingetorix Ego is a very confusing consept. As it mostly ego defining ego. Lets say ego is a pair of glasses that you cant take of nore you know your wearing. The no ego xp is a temporary crack in this glasses. Enlightenments is the permenant awareness of the glasses.

On 11/3/2016 at 3:04 AM, electroBeam said:

No spiritual teacher holds god as sacredly and seriously as your views proclaim. Even the ancient buddhist monks who travelled the eight fold path. Buddhist, for example, have skulls inside their temples to remind them to laugh: because the fear of death is fuelled by an illusion. Its not that serious. The skulls, the fear of death that everyone has, is all a joke by god.

There are Zen Koans that make buddhist people laugh every time they read it, because it reminds them that all of the suffering in this universe, is from their seriousness with reality.

Dude...

When you abandon your entire lifestyle and go live in the woods or a cave for 10 years, living off one coconut per day, meditating 12 hours per day for years on end, for 10s of thousands of hours, begging for food, and eating it out of a bowl made out of a human skull -- THEN you can talk to me about seriousness.

No TV, no internet, no sex, no jerking off, no bed, no house, no fresh clothes, no money, no friends, no family, no A/C, no heating, no bed to sleep in, no sleeping bag, no tent, no health care.

I don't hold enlightenment nearly as seriously as yogis, Buddhist monks, or Zen masters.

You say such things not having done your research, and not having done any serious contemplation.

Try contemplating for 100 hours straight, non-stop. Then let's see how you feel. (That would still be newbie-level spirituality.)

And laughter or playfulness does not preclude seriousness. Those are actually by-products of it.

AFTER you've contemplated for 20,000 hours, then its easy to laugh. At that point, ISIS could be chopping your head off, and you could be laughing.

You, as you are now, have almost no capacity to laugh. As soon as you experience the slightest discomfort, insult, or even a minor calamity, you vent, cry, curse, get depressed, get agitated, etc. You can't even sit still on a comfortable couch for 60 minutes without serious suffering. An itch on your nose can send you into agony.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

57 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Dude...

When you abandon your entire lifestyle and go live in the woods or a cave for 10 years, living off one coconut per day, meditating 12 hours per day for years on end, for 10s of thousands of hours, begging for food, and eating it out of a bowl made out of a human skull -- THEN you can talk to me about seriousness.

No TV, no internet, no sex, no jerking off, no bed, no house, no fresh clothes, no money, no friends, no family, no A/C, no heating, no bed to sleep in, no sleeping bag, no tent, no health care.

I don't hold enlightenment nearly as seriously as yogis, Buddhist monks, or Zen masters.

You say such things not having done your research, and not having done any serious contemplation.

Try contemplating for 100 hours straight, non-stop. Then let's see how you feel. (That would still be newbie-level spirituality.)

And laughter or playfulness does not preclude seriousness. Those are actually by-products of it.

AFTER you've contemplated for 20,000 hours, then its easy to laugh. At that point, ISIS could be chopping your head off, and you could be laughing.

You, as you are now, have almost no capacity to laugh. As soon as you experience the slightest discomfort, insult, or even a minor calamity, you vent, cry, curse, get depressed, get agitated, etc. You can't even sit still on a comfortable couch for 60 minutes without serious suffering. An itch on your nose can send you into agony.

Would you recommend us to go this extreme towards enlightenment or not? I'm just curious what you think about people who decide to live this way for 20 years?

@Live Life Liam You probably couldn't handle that extreme. So no. But if you could, it would probably be the best life possible.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You made a good point, i dont really want to engage in a discussion thats 4 days old, but I would urge you to try and be consistent with your own advice in not make some massive general projection about a random on the internet. I could be shinzen young for all you know. unless youre using psychic powers to detect it(are you?).

Even if you did know, that is the biggest exaggeration ive ever seen, bigger than the exaggerations they make on Fox News.

Itch on my nose can send me into agony? LOL I meditate a total of 1.5 hours a day m8, that is the biggest BS in the world.

And there are other world views out there than yours, calling people dogmatic for not accepting a world view, then blatantly attacking Maximus for not doing enough research is the most hyppocritical thing ive seen in days.

A bad role model wont make this community better.

Edited by electroBeam

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Live Life Liam You probably couldn't handle that extreme. So no. But if you could, it would probably be the best life possible.

Makes sense. I hope some day I will be able to get to that point but I know at the moment I have attachments like to relationships especially (my girlfriend and friends) and to the comforts of modern living like the internet and good food. Of course there are plenty of other attachments but those are probably the main ones I notice in my awareness at this current time. I am definitely slowly moving towards that lifestyle more and more every day though and minimising my life drastically. Thanks for the response.

Edited by Live Life Liam

1 hour ago, Live Life Liam said:

go this extreme towards enlightenment

People go on searching for the opposite. People only respect the opposite. This has to be understood - this tendency. People are attracted by the opposite but the opposite cannot change you - because the attraction of the opposite is a very natural law. Man is attracted to woman; woman is attracted to man. The poor is attracted to the rich and - you will be surprised - the rich is attracted to the poor. Rich people always think that the poor are enjoying great things - they have beautiful sleep, they have good appetite. Rich people always think that there is great )oy in living in nature - in living in a hut, in a cottage. Rich people always think that in small villages far away there is joy and bliss. In great cities how can there be joy? They live in the great cities and they hanker for the village.

And ask the villager. He hankers for Bombay, New York, London. His hankering is to reach the biggest city possible. His hankering is to live in a big skyscraper. He wants all that the rich people have.

Remember, rich people are interested in the poor - so whenever they see an enlightened person living in poverty their heads bow down. They say, 'This is the right thing.' If they see a King  JANAK, a rich man, enlightened, they cannot believe it. 

After Enlightenment, Buddha returns home. His wife asks him: ‘What you attained in the jungle—was it not possible to attain it here? Why leave home, me, your child?’” Buddha was silent. 

If Buddha can become enlightened under a tree, you can become enlightened under a blanket.

1 minute ago, Prabhaker said:

People go on searching for the opposite. People only respect the opposite. This has to be understood - this tendency. People are attracted by the opposite but the opposite cannot change you - because the attraction of the opposite is a very natural law. Man is attracted to woman; woman is attracted to man. The poor is attracted to the rich and - you will be surprised - the rich is attracted to the poor. Rich people always think that the poor are enjoying great things - they have beautiful sleep, they have good appetite. Rich people always think that there is great )oy in living in nature - in living in a hut, in a cottage. Rich people always think that in small villages far away there is joy and bliss. In great cities how can there be joy? They live in the great cities and they hanker for the village.

And ask the villager. He hankers for Bombay, New York, London. His hankering is to reach the biggest city possible. His hankering is to live in a big skyscraper. He wants all that the rich people have.

Remember, rich people are interested in the poor - so whenever they see an enlightened person living in poverty their heads bow down. They say, 'This is the right thing.' If they see a King  JANAK, a rich man, enlightened, they cannot believe it. 

After Enlightenment, Buddha returns home. His wife asks him: ‘What you attained in the jungle—was it not possible to attain it here? Why leave home, me, your child?’” Buddha was silent. 

If Buddha can become enlightened under a tree, you can become enlightened under a blanket.

Great advice and thanks for this. I agree with what you mean. Its not like I have a huge desire for that lifestyle and if anything I don't want it that is why I'm not sure if its just my ego afraid of the hard struggle that life would entail. I love my comforts now I must be honest. I have a easy simple life and although not a millionaire live pretty wealthy materially (although I live more minimally then most) and in other areas too so I know the luxuries don't fulfil me but I know doing the opposite of how I live now isn't the answer. I probably don't have it in me currently to leave my relationship and everything else I have built at the moment which is why I am wondering if that what it takes to find the truth. I know what is needed is the time to meditate and contemplate on the existence of life and this so called me so that is what I what I am trying to work on to build my life around focusing on these thing. Probably not in the same way as the Buddha but still doing the same thing basically. What is the truth? Its definitely one of my values. 

On 11/2/2016 at 0:44 PM, Leo Gura said:

Yes, it tends to be byproduct, but the brain/mind is strong. It is full of old conditioning that takes decades of work to unwire.

Firstly, most people's enlightenments are far from complete from what I understand. True masters are very rare, and if you ever meet one face to face, you will know their mastery, it's simply awesome to behold. That level you will never reach with just one or two enlightenment experiences. That takes decades of work.

But even if one is highly enlightened, one could STILL hold all sorts of dogmas, psychological hang-ups, and cultural biases.

Shinzen told me that his teacher in Japan was an enlightened "asshole". The Zen traditions seem to like the asshole aesthetic. Seems to be a cultural thing. He told a story of where one of the monks punched him in the nose in the monastry while they were training because it was cold in the zendo and Shinzen had the sniffles while they were all meditating together. The next day he got punched in the nose for making too much noise!

So yeah... you could turn into that guy if you're not careful, lol.

Was the monk that punched Shinzen awakened/enlightened? Maybe he wasn't.

As for the teacher, maybe he was just showing tough love. I mean, enlightenment is all about being ego less. What a better way to shed the ego then hit someone in the head with a stick, or yell at them?     

Edited by Emptystickfigure

@Emptystickfigure I dunno the details, but there are many examples of highly enlightened masters run amok.

Like this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Da

Who became so enlightened he told his followers that he was the only human avatar that would reach the highest level of enlightenment (EVER) and that the only hope they had was to worship him as God.

He was genuinely very enlightened. But also sounds like a narcissistic prick. This is enlightenment gone awry. There are many similar cases.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Emptystickfigure I dunno the details, but there are many examples of highly enlightened masters run amok.

Like this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Da

Who became so enlightened he told his followers that he was the only human avatar that would reach the highest level of enlightenment (EVER) and that the only hope they had was to worship him.

I believe that an awakened/enlightened person can still have 'leftover' desires, like sexual desires, a normal human love of money. Or even have somewhat of an ego (the key word here is somewhat). But I highly doubt that Adi Da is enlightened. Once the Wikipedia article read 'Adi Da declared that he was a uniquely historic avatar', my doubt/inner cynic came up. Because I had an awakening experience a year, and a half ago, and I realized that enlightenment isn't about being 'unique', or 'special'. Because there is no shape/self to be unique.

I do believe that you, Leo Gura, are awakened/enlightened, but not that Adi guy.          

As for personal development, yes for me!!

@Richard Alpert I should release a book like that:

The Divine Ordeal of Supreme Conscious Avatar Leo Samraj The Magnanimous One :D

Just now, Leo Gura said:

@Richard Alpert I should release a book like that:

The Divine Ordeal of Supreme Conscious Avatar Leo The Magnanimous One :D

lol, i´ll buy a copy of that for sure.

I should probably read more about him. I guess enlightenment doesn't necessarily make a person perfect, or a good person. I wish it did. 

2 minutes ago, Emptystickfigure said:

I should probably read more about him. I guess enlightenment doesn't necessarily make a person perfect, or a good person. I wish it did. 

Why would it make a person perfect? The thing youre looking for has always been right in front of youre nose. When you realize that, you just realize what a fool you have been. I still wish thought that this would have stuck with me, lol