meow_meow

Getting second bachelors degree

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm 28 years old at the moment and I've already graduated (bachelors) in law, worked a while in debt collection, tried working as a legal consultant & eventually tried opening my business offering legal advice in the finance field. My business failed and I've realized that after ~5 years in the field I don't see myself in it anymore.

I did invest a lot of time thinking and trying things that I would like to do and consciously create a career out of it, and since I've been creating (programming) flash games, lots of other silly stuff for fun, and seeing how IT industry is blowing up I decided to jump careers.

For the recent 1 year I've been working as a Junior Web Developer (junior programmer) and for the first time in my life I like what I'm doing. 

However, I have no education in this field, since I have a bachelors in law, so I'm thinking is it really worth the hassle to go for another ~4 years to graduate in IT?

No dude, watch Leo's video on going to college. You can make it in this field by teaching yourself. Build your resume around 2-3 really super polished projects of your own that show you know how to code websites. There is so much free and paid content out there online that teaches you this skill.

@Lyubov Believe me, I already know this, this is the only reason why I'm already working in the field, I already have my portfolio etc. Getting formal education just sorta 'feels' right.

@meow_meow yes you have to. Don't lose the opportunity. Awesome that you're ready for it. Go for it. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

7 hours ago, meow_meow said:

@Lyubov Believe me, I already know this, this is the only reason why I'm already working in the field, I already have my portfolio etc. Getting formal education just sorta 'feels' right.

um... then why are you asking to spend money on an expensive degree if you already have a job in said field....?

@meow_meow If you're in one of those countries where a degree doesn't cost you 10 years of debt, go for it!

16 hours ago, Lyubov said:

um... then why are you asking to spend money on an expensive degree if you already have a job in said field....?

To increase my qualification and to be able to compete with people who already have a degree in this field.
To climb the corporate latter that is, a better paid rat in the rat race basically.

Edited by meow_meow

Maybe if that's something you really want and you can see yourself doing that for the next 10 years at least.

Investigate how necessary the degree really is. A motivated person can create A LOT in 4 years and after all it's the value you provide that define your market value, but I also understand a degree gives benefits when competing and hustling in crowded market.

And sure as hell it gives security, but if that security is needed, are you really ready to put in the shit load of work?

5 hours ago, meow_meow said:

To increase my qualification and to be able to compete with people who already have a degree in this field.
To climb the corporate latter that is, a better paid rat in the rat race basically.

Generally speaking experience trumps all. if your already in the field your putting your ability to market your experiences vs someone elses ability to market their experience. A degree in most cases won't enhances this enough to be worth the prices tag, but that depends on a lot of variables.  Learning how to market yourself better for example will likely yield better result for much less investment. If you must due some "formal" education look in to certs for your specialty. They are cheaper and IT moves fast a cert are typically more update since they require renewal then a degree where the relevant stuff might be outdated before you even walk out the door (I'm CCNA certified by the way).