spiritualryan

self inquiry question

32 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

It’s adorable at first, yet gets old fast.

It's adorable yet gets old fast for who?

There isn't a "   "...?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

19 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

There isn't a "   "...?

There’s nobody for whom having a me is a problem. There isn’t anyone who has a me. So who exactly are you trying to disabuse of this notion?

56 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

There isn't a "   "...?

Best to put it to bed. Like a beanie, it goes over the head.

10 hours ago, The0Self said:

There’s nobody for whom having a me is a problem. There isn’t anyone who has a me. So who exactly are you trying to disabuse of this notion?

Yes, there are no ME's ?

Its so under the nose that its already the case.(the cosmic joke)

There is no one to convince already.

Keep LOOKING at this...no one is getting very warm. 

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

allow me to dissect this aware of being aware business

i am aware is ego

i am aware that i am aware is god

so what is the self enquiry method then?

when anything comes up ... be aware of being aware of that anything ... namely ego is absent and god is the one who is aware

god is back to being god again

whatever comes up, remind yourself of this

it is not me it is god that sees everything

because i am aware of being aware

33 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Yes, there are no ME's ?

Its so under the nose that its already the case.(the cosmic joke)

There is no one to convince already.

Keep LOOKING at this...no one is getting very warm. 

It doesn’t matter. There’s no one to look and things aren’t happening

54 minutes ago, The0Self said:

It doesn’t matter. There’s no one to look and things aren’t happening

Correct,

But there is a subconscious belief that adopting this outlook will benefit someone.

THIS isn't about denial, detachment or adopting a "it doesn't matter" attitude.

Its clearly recognized by no one that the beneficiary was an illusion.

Nobody becomes enlightened, no one awakens.

Nobody enters the gateless gate.

3 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Correct,

But there is a subconscious belief that adopting this outlook will benefit someone.

THIS isn't about denial, detachment or adopting a "it doesn't matter" attitude.

Its clearly recognized by no one that the beneficiary was an illusion.

Nobody becomes enlightened, no one awakens.

Nobody enters the gateless gate.

Yeah. It's just it, and not.

1 hour ago, gettoefl said:

what is the self enquiry method then?

What do you currently believe you are? The body? The brain?  A soul?  It's the process of deconstructing your mind until something clicks that the "you" was an illusion.   Leo's early enlightenment videos are very effective and there are some later ones as well.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Read this. Start with the first section... self-inquiry
then section 2..  attention ,
then section 3 etc., etc.,.

Also understand that self inquiry requires the ability to stabilize attention in the "object-less", thoughtless silence. Unless the ability to sustain this one pointed attention has been at least "adequately" developed, self inquiry as a stand-alone practice, will be tough because of the mind's activity and tendency to wander or  get distracted.

https://selfdefinition.org/ramana/quotes/sadhu-om-self-inquiry.htm

2 hours ago, gettoefl said:

allow me to dissect this aware of being aware business

i am aware is ego

i am aware that i am aware is god

so what is the self enquiry method then?

when anything comes up ... be aware of being aware of that anything ... namely ego is absent and god is the one who is aware

god is back to being god again

whatever comes up, remind yourself of this

it is not me it is god that sees everything

because i am aware of being aware

That's not inquiry.

Find the subject, or more simply, just turn away from all that is happening... constantly

It has no use, but there's no reason not to do it either. It can be fun. Leads to powerful realizations, etc.

On 29/04/2021 at 5:03 PM, spiritualryan said:

i’m having trouble understanding being aware of being aware/being. i’ve been doing the practice everyday for the past couple months. at first i tried being aware of being aware through senses other than thought (sensations, sight, sound). i quickly grew frustrated and confused because i realized that is impossible and is not the point. the point is to “kill” the ego (thoughts), so to speak. and i actually can very easily just “be” as awareness when a thought comes up. because it is just so obvious i am before thought. but now that the ego is very quiet, thoughts don’t come, how then am i supposed to be aware of being aware? if there is no thought, the only other senses left are sight, sound, and sensations (mainly). and focusing on the other senses isn’t the point as far as i know.

edit: also, when i focus on the “i am”, is it supposed to go like this? first i create the thought “i am”, then i see that i am actually before the thought. is this it?

i am just so confused

Self enquiry is a practice used to cut at the root of the egomind - to find the unreality of the I thought, which in turn is mixed up with every other thought that appears - every other egoic thought is related to that "I".  By tackling the root, all the leaves and branches might continue to exist further, but not for long, exactly as if you cut the root of a real plant - so initially might appear you're doing nothing big, because every leaf remains the same for a long time until it withers due to lack of sustenance. 

Cutting down the "I" thought is not a destructive process however, because it really is not real to begin with - so to destroy it you don't need to kill it, but rather just see that it is not real and then it falls by itself if not reinforced further. Like a branch that looks like a snake, what you need to do to destroy the snake is not to kill it, but to see its reality as a branch, it was never a snake.

The methods of self inquiry have been mentioned in the thread but if you want more clarification I can post more

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.