ivankiss

How you do something is how you do everything.

20 posts in this topic

Do you find this statement to be true in your experience?

Yes. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

I knew it. 

The reason why my mix's suck is because I'm not conscious enough while washing the dishes.

So that means one cannot do a half-ass job in one area of life and expect to do an excellent job in another?

Oh...

9 hours ago, ivankiss said:

So that means one cannot do a half-ass job in one area of life and expect to do an excellent job in another?

Oh...

It means that everything happens, automatically.

Half-ass jobs happen.. excellent jobs happen.. trees happen.. thoughts happen.. this conversation happens.. clouds happen.. rocks happen.. 

The reason 'how you do something is how you do everything' is because there really isn't a 'you' who 'does things' the way it's imagined there is.  Consider how you are growing your hair? Are 'you doing that'? How hard are you trying to do that? Not at all.. it happens automatically, like everything.. effortlessly. 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

@Mason Riggle I hear ya. But I'd say that's only one side of the coin.

Just because everything simply IS; doesn't mean there's nothing to be done.

15 hours ago, ivankiss said:

The reason why my mix's suck is because I'm not conscious enough while washing the dishes.

Look at successful rockstars, djs etc... they can be completely fucked up in 'normal life' but still do genius shit when performing

@acidgoofy Exactly what I've been saying to myself all these years. Doesn't seem to work ?

@acidgoofy Nah. I'm pretty sure I'm just not supposed to let the dishes pile up.

Dirty dishes = muddy mixes

As above so bellow. 

I think that more than the result itself (being it good or bad) the behavioral structure will be more less the same. 

Imo looking at successful rock stars and etc and only seeing the duality, and maybe contradiction, between their success and private life is too simplistic. The same modus operandi might work perfectly in a specific environment, but a slight change, may ruin everything. Like over optimization.

Might be helpful doing a meta analysis, comparing the content and the structure.

Being balanced and whole is better than being niche for the most part in every area of life. Although niche-ing creates success quicker. 

22 hours ago, acidgoofy said:

maybe you just think your mixes suck

show me what you got

Obviously I was goofing around a bit... But yeah, I do feel like there's room for improvement. Recently I've been enjoying making chill stuff like this;

19 hours ago, Barbara said:

As above so bellow. 

Precisely.

Thank you.

@Finax I hear you. Good point.

I have a thought that maybe you think you aren't improving, but actually are. I immediately thought of a musician named Ralph Mctell who I recently heard say that he has lots of people learning guitar that tell him they ain't improving. He then asks them to turn their guitar around and play with the other hand. Then they realize how much they actually have learned. 
If it is your thought that you aren't getting better, perhaps listen to a song you made some time ago, and see if you actually haven't improved? If you are getting better, it also takes a better quality of your production for you to get satisfied. So you not getting satisfied perhaps also can be seen as you developing in your music.
I don't see it possible for you not improving. And if it's your passion, then I think you're doing the exact right thing you should be doing. And obviously if something is your passion, it is an expression of who you are, and of course if something is an expression of what you are, it must come naturally to you, so how couldn't you be good/talented at it?

@Zeitgeist It's more about the attitude you have when it comes to doing things. If you do a half-ass job at one thing; that's going to echo through your whole experience and affect how you do other stuff. Even the things you enjoy doing.

At least that's the idea.

Hmm I dunno... I actually delved straight into my art with whole heart and my business has started sliding. ?‍♂️ Damn. It sucks but it'll work out.  Probably 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay