Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Republicans are threatening voting rights all over the US!

38 posts in this topic

Just today, the GOP governor and the GOP state legislatures in Georgia just passed a new disgusting and horrible voter suppression law that will greatly restrict voting access to everyone within their entire state. Sadly, this is not just happening in Georgia. Major right-wing groups throughout the entire country have recently been ferociously pushing for sweeping voting restrictions within each of their states. President Biden and other Democratic politicians throughout the whole country have totally condemned this. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/24/us/politics/republicans-election-laws.html

How much of problem do you guys think this will turn out to be for the Democrats in future elections?

So basically there's an ID requirtement when voting by mail.  That makes sense to me.

14 hours ago, Woke456 said:

So basically there's an ID requirtement when voting by mail.  That makes sense to me.

Why did they need to modify that? You've always had to give your license ID number, which they carefully process through the government's system.

Conservatives are on the losing side of history most of the time so they have to make desperate moves to cling to the past.

Nothing new here.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Conservatives are on the losing side of history most of the time so they have to make desperate moves to cling to the past.

Nothing new here.

I agree with that. However, how do you think these new sweep voting restrictions will affect the elections coming up this year or the mid-term elections next year or the 2024 general election? 

I'm not too worried about it. In the long run conservatives will lose and these laws will be overturned.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The Republicans will likely have a hard time anyway.

I have the idea Biden is being received relatively well, especially because of how well he handles covid.

+ The Republicans have an internal war on their hands due to the Trumpists

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

24 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Nothing new here.

@Leo Gura I mean it should be such an obvious intuition that societies move more left and liberal overall over long periods of time, it's sort of an inevitability. Progress = expansion, not tradition or conservation. It's hilarious to see how resistant people are to how clear this is. They'll deny basic reality to "own the libs" as they say.

What's even more funny is within my own country (Canada) the Conservatives have spent the last few years rebranding themselves as "Progressive Conservative" (oxymoron lol) and adding things like pro-gay marriage to their platform. They are basically becoming what the Liberal party was 30ish years ago so they can still stay competitive in the modern age. Literally wolves in sheep's clothing.

hrhrhtewgfegege

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I'm not too worried about it. In the long run conservatives will lose and these laws will be overturned.

12 minutes ago, ItsNick said:

The Republicans will likely have a hard time anyway.

I have the idea Biden is being received relatively well, especially because of how well he handles covid.

+ The Republicans have an internal war on their hands due to the Trumpists

Just now, Roy said:

@Leo Gura I mean it should be such an obvious intuition that societies move more left and liberal overall over long periods of time, it's sort of an inevitability. Progress = expansion, not tradition or conservation. It's hilarious to see how resistant people are to how clear this is. They'll deny basic reality to "own the libs" as they say.

What's even more funny is within my own country (Canada) the Conservatives have spent the last few years rebranding themselves as "Progressive Conservative" (oxymoron lol) and adding things like pro-gay marriage to their platform. They are basically becoming what the Liberal party was 30ish years ago so they can still stay competitive in the modern age. Literally wolves in sheep's clothing.

Well, I guess we don't need to fret about it. At least not yet for a long while. Democrats and Liberals will indeed continue to keep on fighting for people's rights and hopefully continue to improve their campaign strategies over time. Other than that, let's see what happens in the future. Thanks guys.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Nothing new here.

Actually, the US voted Conservative in 7 of the last 11 presidential elections so that would mean usually they're on the right side of history. 

It'd be 8 of 11 if you count Clinton's second term.

8 hours ago, Woke456 said:

Actually, the US voted Conservative in 7 of the last 11 presidential elections so that would mean usually they're on the right side of history. 

Conservatives have lost the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 elections. And they lost 7 of 8 with voter suppression. To win on unpopular conservative platforms, they need partially un-Democratic systems (electoral college) and voter suppression. 

Currently, conservatives are so unpopular that their current level of voter suppression is insufficient to win elections - so they need to increase the level of un-democratic policies and voter suppression. They could change their platform to be more mainstream, yet they aren't willing to do that at this time. The MAGA influence is much too strong. 

US_Presidential_elections_popular_votes_

Given the choice between abandoning an unpopular Policy Platform or abandoning Democracy, in almost every instance Republicans have chosen to throw Democracy under the bus rather than modify their ideology so that they can win elections.

In the long run it's a losing strategy, but they sure as Hell have the ability to harm a ton of people before they finally become irrelevant.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

2 hours ago, Forestluv said:

Conservatives have lost the popular vote

You need to correct yourself:  

1.   Ross Perot got 19% of the popular vote in 1992.  Bush Sr, would have blown out the popular vote if the conservatives weren't split.  So combined it was a blowout.

2.   Ross Perot also split the conservative popular vote again in 1996

3.  Trump + Libertarians received more popular votes than Hillary + Greens in 2016

So actually, 7 of  the last 11 when conservatives won the popular vote.

@Woke456 Imo, you make a good point about 3rd parties - yet the way you are constructing categories is biased. If you want to take a closer look into subcategories, it is much more nuanced than your categories and those boundaries get blurry. 

For example, in the context of SD - it seems like you are trying to say that blue + lower Orange = "conservative" and upper Orange + green = "progressive". Yet this depends on were we draw the line between "conservative" vs "progressive". There are major differences between drawing the line at Blue, lower Orange or upper Orange. 

The meaning of "conservative" is fluid and constantly evolving. 

In today's climate in America, I would draw the conservative line at upper blue as represented by Trumpism / MAGA. Libertarians at middle Orange would have overlap with both blue (below them) and upper Orange (above them). A lot of libertarians voted 3rd party because they didn't like either the republican or democrat platform. I know a lot of people on the left that hated Trump and Biden so much that they voted libertarian, even though they were to the left of both Biden and Trump. 

Yeah, there were people that see the open racism from the Democrats and also people who were mad Trump for not wearing a mask.

10 minutes ago, Woke456 said:

Yeah, there were people that see the open racism from the Democrats and also people who were mad Trump for not wearing a mask.

You are making crude, sloppy distinctions. You would need to take off the lens you are wearing to see new distinctions and add precision / accuracy to your mind map. 

3 minutes ago, Woke456 said:

@Forestluv And you should go watch a movie with 10 black people.

I have and much more. Be mindful of your assumptions and projections. 

4 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

I have and much more. Be mindful of your assumptions and projections. 

Anyone can put half truth together.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, Leo Gura said:

Agreed. This will be more damaging to the republican brand, which is already in flux. I like to give our American society a little more credit, I think our majority is mostly centrists who will see this as an attack on voter rights and democracy. GOP is basically kicking and screaming to stay afloat at this point.