kieranperez

Rupert Spira on Sam Harris Podcast

297 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VeganAwake said:

"The greatest obstacle to Discovery is not ignorance-  it's the illusion of knowledge"

Exactly. If you’re ignorant, you can learn new things. If you think you know already, you resist learning.

@Mannyb I've started threads on here before. I love talking about this stuff. 

'I' (everything currently being experienced) operate from a paradigm that the 'I who is experiencing my experience' is an illusion (albeit a very persistent one, as Einstein noted, because without the illusion of duality, I don't 'exist'). There is just experience, and whatever this experience is, is True. 

Current experience is that of a 'me' and a 'you' and a 'forum' where we are talking, but this 'me' is something that is happening, not something that 'does things'. 

This is always happening now.. 

There is no 'experiencer of what is happening', there is just 'what is happening'. 

I have no other self than the totality of current experience, whatever it is, whether I feel like a separate self who experiences experience or not, that is what is true. 

I don't think my thoughts any more than I grow my hair. Hair is growing. Thoughts are thinking. Experience is experiencing. 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

13 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Mannyb I've started threads on here before. I love talking about this stuff. 

'I' (everything currently being experienced) operate from a paradigm that the 'I who is experiencing my experience' is an illusion. There is just experience, and whatever this experience is, is True. 

Current experience is that of a 'me' and a 'you' and a 'forum' where we are talking, but this 'me' is something that is happening, not something that 'does things'. 

This is always happening now.. 

There is no 'experiencer of what is happening', there is just 'what is happening'. 

I have no other self than the totality of current experience, whatever it is, whether I feel like a separate self who experiences experience or not, that is what is true. 

I don't think my thoughts any more than I grow my hair. Hair is growing. Thoughts are thinking. Experience is experiencing. 

This part of our understanding we can agree on, most of us here wouldn’t dispute that. It’s the other things you’ve said which don’t make sense. 

Edited by Mannyb

@Mannyb I've only repeatedly stated that to think about Sam Harris separate from 'that which is not Sam Harris', is to be lost in duality (which is his point). Even having this discussion is to be lost in duality.

To experience 'oneness/formlessness' is to experience Harris, his paradigm, this conversation, as You/God/Everything/nothing, in which case there is no separate 'Sam Harris'. 

Edited by Mason Riggle

16 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Mannyb I've only repeatedly stated that to think about Sam Harris separate from 'that which is not Sam Harris', is to be lost in duality (which is his point). Even having this discussion is to be lost in duality.

To experience 'oneness/formlessness' is to understand that Harris, his paradigm, this conversation, is You/God/Everything, in which case this is all just mental masturbation and meaningless.

Sure, if so you say. 
Just be clear and straight to the point. Your previous comment implies you agree with Rupert, yet when he mentions finite minds you seem to resist such a concept, although you seem open to concepts such as hair, thoughts and so on.

The fact of experience is there is only the knowing of it, that’s what Rupert says and that can not be disproven.

Edited by Mannyb

23 hours ago, How to be wise said:

@lmfao If I was a moderator, this place would have a lot less trouble makers. There’s a bucket list of people I would throw out of this forum.

hahaha, I hope I'm not on that list. 

@Mason Riggle You're using mental gymnastics to not see the obvious, which is that Sam Harris is epistemologically stuck in physicalism. And doesn't appreciate the first order nature of consciousness or the present moment either. That's where Sam is at, I don't know why you're so desperate to contort and twist what's so simple. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@Mannyb what even is 'material' from a non-dual paradigm? (material/immaterial, real/imaginary, this/that.. all duality) 

I use 'material' 'real' 'physical' etc interchangeably.. they are all imaginary duality, which must be, for any of those 'qualities' or 'limits' to mean anything. 

Were 'I' to be fully awake to the 'nothingness/everythingness/formlessness/infiniteness' of 'reality', there would be no 'me' who knew it.

6 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Mannyb what even is 'material' from a non-dual paradigm? (material/immaterial, real/imaginary, this/that.. all duality) 

I use 'material' 'real' 'physical' etc interchangeably.. they are all imaginary duality, which must be, for any of those 'qualities' or 'limits' to mean anything. 

Were 'I' to be fully awake to the 'nothingness/everythingness/formlessness/infiniteness' of 'reality', there would be no 'me' who knew it.

You equate them, that doesn’t mean they are equal. Experience is real & made of consciousness, that doesn’t make it material. Yes there would be a you which is no other than awareness or more correctly “being aware of being aware”. Sam doesn’t want to admit that, otherwise he would agree with Rupert and spread the love of non duality. Namaste ?? 

Edited by Mannyb

@Mannyb who or what would be aware of awareness? More awareness? 

There once was a boy who said, though

it seems that I know that I know.

But what I'd like to see, is the I who knows me,

when I know that I know that I know. 

-Alan Watts

12 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

Just as Sam Harris is stuck in the materialist paradigm, one can also be stuck in the non-dual paradigm.

Both are two sides of the same coin.

Find the Middle Way to know the coin of reality as it is.

Edited by Valwyndir

7 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Mannyb who or what would be aware of awareness? More awareness? 

There once was a boy who said, though

it seems that I know that I know.

But what I'd like to see, is the I who knows me,

when I know that I know that I know. 

-Alan Watts

Awareness (being aware of being aware)  is aware of being aware, that’s it. It is not a thing, there can’t be more of it, it is ♾ and eternal. Rupert gets it, most of us here get it, Sam does not, do you get it? 

Edited by Mannyb

1 hour ago, Mannyb said:

@Mason Riggle either you’re onto something, or you’re the confused one. 

I am necessarily 'confused'. 'I' can only seem like me (as opposed to that which is not me), by forgetting/pretending/imagining duality, which means I/God/Everything/Nothing is confused about what it is. I'm glad this is the case, because to fully wake up from the illusion of 'somethingness' isn't like anything.. 

I prefer seeming like something to be me, otherwise I wouldn't. ?

Edited by Mason Riggle

12 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

I am necessarily 'confused'. 'I' can only seem like me (as opposed to that which is not me), by forgetting/pretending/imagining duality, which means I/God/Everything/Nothing is confused about what it is. 

You’re implying I is a separate thing. You are god, and can only seem to be confused, same with Sam. God can’t be confused. God is pure understanding.

Edited by Mannyb

'If you think you got it, you don't got it.'- Leo Gura

If you really understood what you think Sam isn't getting, it would not matter to you what Sam Harris thinks. 

Again, this whole conversation is like having a dream where you are trying to tell one character in the dream, that some other character in the dream doesn't understand that they are a character in a dream.  To even have that conversation, is to be lost in the dream.. the very thing you think the character in the dream doesn't realize. 

14 minutes ago, Valwyndir said:

Just as Sam Harris is stuck in the materialist paradigm, one can also be stuck in the non-dual paradigm

how would that even happen? 

If you access really the non-dual, it will automatically involve the dual. Like looking at your hand, it is a hand but it is nothing. How would I be stuck in looking at it as only nothing? what does that even mean?

I am the only thing stopping myself from receiving infinite Love form Myself. I am Infinite Love for god sake.

22 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

'If you think you got it, you don't got it.'- Leo Gura

If you really understood what you think Sam isn't getting, it would not matter to you what Sam Harris thinks. 

Again, this whole conversation is like having a dream where you are trying to tell one character in the dream, that some other character in the dream doesn't understand that they are a character in a dream.  To even have that conversation, is to be lost in the dream.. the very thing you think the character in the dream doesn't realize. 

Leo was addressing a person, not God. God gets it, God is understanding itself. 

Sam as a character in God’s dream is in denial about his very nature, it’s simple. I (relatively speaking) care about what he thinks, since his audience is quite big, and he could be spreading love, beauty, understanding and happiness instead of fear, doubt, and fundamental ignorance of the fact that we share our being. The implications of such a realization are already starting to have a big impact in many of us, and soon our society.

To be lost in the dream is to not know this is a dream. Once you know you are dreaming you’re not lost anymore. 
Here we are having a conversation within the dream, doesn’t mean we are lost at all. Only those who think themselves to be separate and reality to be out there made of matter, in time and space are lost.

Edited by Mannyb

@Mason Riggle You begging for a banning if you keep up this nonsense.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Be here to learn.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.