LordFall

Who has actually read the spiral dynamics book?

12 posts in this topic

I feel like SD is one of the most widely discussed concept on this forum. I watched the whole series of video and use the concept a lot but I've never read the actual book.

I ordered it a few days ago and it just came in! Super hyped!

I'm curious who else has read it.

IMG_20210121_201308.jpg

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

Synchronicity lol just downloaded a pretty great copy of that book. I like the terms they use so far, not dry yet totally fascinating imo. 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

1 hour ago, Megan Alecia said:

Synchronicity lol just downloaded a pretty great copy of that book. I like the terms they use so far, not dry yet totally fascinating imo. 

How much have you read so far? I got about 3-4 pages in and it's good but a bit dense to be honest. Can't read it while tired or not totally focused. 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

I've read multiple books on SD by Don Beck. They are good, but Ken Wilber's stuff feels more holistic. Don Beck focuses more on socio-political and socio-economical implications while Ken Wilber focuses more on spiritual and self-actualization implications 

Edited by Hello from Russia

thank god i dont have to, but i will out of respect. Does that makes any sense?:ph34r:

#grateful

Because Spiral Dynamics is such a significant part of Actualized.org, I decided at one point to sit and casually read the entire book even if I didn't enjoy it that much. It's quite dense as you say, but like what Ken Wilber says, you will move up the spiral just by having an understanding of the model, i.e. it's psychoactive in your understanding. Most of my books are digital copies, but that one sits on my desk with a bunch of other paperbacks for further consultation if needed :D.

The Religion of Tomorrow by Ken Wilber was a far more exciting read I thought. I like the way integral theory specifically addresses enlightenment in the Waking Up states and describes the Growing Up structures separately. And I love the idea that re-owning your shadow material in Cleaning Up produces an authentic self that is then the "vehicle" for the Real Self of enlightenment. I hadn't understood the connection between the psychological and spiritual this way before.

SD is good and very popular but is mostly focused on society. It has helped me a ton. Ken Wilber covers more bases with his integral model so I would read him too. I also recommend Susanne Cook-Greuter's 9 Stages of Ego Development. You can download it as PDF. Leo has a 3 part series on it if you haven't seen it.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:33 AM, Hello from Russia said:

I've read multiple books on SD by Don Beck. They are good, but Ken Wilber's stuff feels more holistic. Don Beck focuses more on socio-political and socio-economical implications while Ken Wilber focuses more on spiritual and self-actualization implications 

@Hello from Russia

I started watching Ken Willber. He is amazing! What books do you recommend from him? 

Edited by EddieEddie1995

22 minutes ago, EddieEddie1995 said:

@Hello from Russia

I started watching Ken Willber. He is amazing! What books do you recommend from him? 

erm......everything???:x:x:x

Im reading it right now and I take notes in OneNote. It's a little exhausting, but also fun.