mmKay

How are Tasers legal?

29 posts in this topic

Better than a .45 bullet in your face.

I think you under-estimate how serious a brawl with the police is. If a cop is pulling his taser on you, something is already seriously wrong. In which case you should be glad he's not pulling a .45 or a baton.

Policing is dirty work. How do you think a baton to your skull feels?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Are you proposing to outlaw tasers? In the early 21st century? That would bring more harm than prosperity. Excessive system-blind Green will attempt to pull off such a stunt. :ph34r:

58 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Better than a .45 bullet in your face.

I think you under-estimate how serious a brawl with the police is. If a cop is pulling his taser on you, something is already seriously wrong. In which case you should be glad he's not pulling a .45 or a baton.

Policing is dirty work. How do you think a baton to your skull feels?

In Europe it is working fine without tasers. Tasers are misused because most policemen are horny for power. Giving them tasers is a bad idea. 

In Tate we trust

Police need to have some way of neutralizing threat, tasers seem like a great tool for that. 

The tool itself, the purpose of it and how it is actually used are two vastly different discussions.

Misue of amount of force is independent of the tools. Misuse a taser, Misuse a baton, Misuse a gun or Misuse of hands or knees. Everything can be all abused when operated by an abusive individual.

There will always be abusers, and addressing actual misuse is needed - while not having an impact on the rightful use. 

Would there be an as effective tool with even less risk for permanent damage, of course, that would be even better. 

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

@StarStruck Tasers has been evaluated for some time now, by Swedish police. They seem overwhelmingly positive towards making it permanent. 

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

41 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

In Europe it is working fine without tasers.

Yes but you can't compare Europe with the US. 

The idea is that it gives Police Officers a less than lethal way of subduing people, without having to resort to using deadly force.

The problem, like it is for so many other things, is that the potential exists for that tool being abused, and some cops will inevitably end up using it as a first, rather than a last option.

When you compare that with the number of lethal shootings by police officers in the US, it's hard to see giving police officers a non lethal way to deal with threats as a bad thing, even taking the potential abuses of tasers into consideration

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Dude, being tasered is much less damaging to anyone than 

7 hours ago, mmKay said:

I'm curious about y'all opinion on cops having tasers. Inspired by these videos .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser_safety_issues

That looks deadly tbh. Imagine it gets in someone's eye or spine discs.

Thoughts?

Being tasered is much less damaging to one's body compared to the damage anyone would receive from a shot from any kind of gun or even compared to getting hit really hard with a billy club by any trained cop.

6 hours ago, StarStruck said:

In Europe it is working fine without tasers. Tasers are misused because most policemen are horny for power. Giving them tasers is a bad idea. 

That's cause in Europe ya'll have been disarmed and pussified by soy-drinking communists :P

Here in capitalist Murica -- land of the free -- we have more guns than people, and a mass shooting once a week.

4 minutes ago, mmKay said:

@Leo Gura I've seen a gun once here in Spain

@mmKay  Some people do die from tasers. Depends on the person's nervous system, pre-existing heart conditions, brain chemistry like seizure attacks, also psycho-somatic stress. You'd be surprised how easy it is to kill, and do life long damage, through increases in electricity.

Edited by Danioover9000

Most people won't even die from a single gunshot. It's actually pretty hard to kill someone. You'd be surprised.

People can get shot 4-6 times and still live.

This one example, at least to open people to the possibility that tasers, when abused, can kill:

Their medical examiner said the teen died of acute cocaine overdose. This does mean that some drugs were present in his system, which does tie to what I've said before, that other causes can lead to death or severe injury. This does not excuse the cops shooting their tasers several times.

Edited by Danioover9000

lol, wtf are you smoking guys? :P Guns are a standard part of policemen's equipment even in Europe, or at least in Czechia. To quote a website: The policeman also has a pepper spray, a telescopic baton or tonfu, a stun gun, a knife, a tactical flashlight, a first aid kit, handcuffs and gloves, ideally with a Kevlar insert.

Our cops are just way more civilized. 

Edited by SirVladimir

2 minutes ago, mmKay said:

In Barcelona they use guns that shoot special rubber ammunition that is allegedly not lethal. 

I believe 'less than lethal' is the more accurate technical term. A rubber bullet that hits someone at close range, hits someone with a medical condition, or in the wrong place such as the head, can absolutely kill someone.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

52 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Most people won't even die from a single gunshot. It's actually pretty hard to kill someone. You'd be surprised.

It depends on where you’re aiming at.

One shot to the head, and people pretty much, uhm, cease to exist, Leo. 

Only the very lucky ones get to see a new, beautiful, imaginary day. 

Edited by xxxx

4 minutes ago, xxxx said:

One shot to the head, and people pretty much, uhm, cease to exist, Leo.

Not so.

Even a headshot is survivable. And police almost never do headshots. Headshots work in video games but professionals rarely aim for the head since it's so hard to hit.