Roy

What are some techniques to raise and keep awareness/consciousness during the day?

19 posts in this topic

I've been struggling for a long while (since late 2017 when I started all this) trying to maintain the level of awareness and consciousness I would like, especially in day to day living. I find being out and about in society running errands, or working/being busy getting things done keeps my brain in kind of an "auto-pilot" low consciousness mode. Either because it exhausts me as an introvert or because I subconsciously know (or I think) it won't be helpful to be super "aware" during that time, even though I do try to be.

When I get home I'm usually tired and physically exhausted (I work a physical job and do firefighting on the side) and just want to turn my brain off even more and distract myself with entertainment and relaxation. However this is my free time where I want to be consciously pursing the things I want deep down.

Usually my higher self and "awareness" comes at the moments at late night when I should be going to sleep, or I get extreme moments of clarity after days, weeks, or even MONTHS have passed having realized yes I did get basic shit done during all this time, but overall it feels like I'm wasting my life. It feels like I'm living the skeleton of what my life could be and my potential is slipping away, you know?

These constant up and down waves and spikes from low consciousness to higher consciousness are very frustrating and makes me resentful of all the time I've lost because I can't maintain any damn consistency with it. I feel it's feeding a deep depression inside me and some other negative emotions and I just would like it to stop.

I've made progress on basic things to aid me like getting regular sleep and cutting back sugar/caffeine in my diet, but I need more help.

For people who have gone through this and have experience in consciousness work what are the best and most effective things to help maintain a higher, consistent level of awareness? I want to know all your secrets, tricks, and techniques so I can throw them at the wall and see what sticks.

Thanks in advance for any contributions. Hope the new year is being good to you all so far.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

To use tricks and techniques during the day as a hot-fix/band-aid might be better than doing nothing, but unfortunately in the long run, it will most likely not lead anywhere, or infact be detrimental. Techniques that you can just do on a whim whenever you feel like it will inevitably create more compulsive thinking patterns. It's truly unfortunate, but in my experience, long-term results are gained from sitting down and focusing all your attention on one practice at the peak of your daily energy levels, and then simply going about your day while not using up any of your attention on spiritual techniques to "train your awareness". Awareness is a seed that grows. Growth requires rest. You can't really beat a plant into growing faster.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Oh I don't want to hot-fix anything.  I'm in it for the long haul. I'm just after the things that helped people in their journey.

hrhrhtewgfegege

@Roy The human condition being what I is, I think your question is spot on. Even though @Carl-Richard makes some seemingly valid points, the way he framed your question with his answer implies a non recognition of the prevalence of spiritual sleep of which I include myself to be as susceptible as anyone.

Sensing the physicality of the body anytime of the day helps the embodiment of awareness if it is carried out deliberately  and not mechanically. The feet, because of the pressure of our weight and the numerous nerve endings make an easy target   for one’s awareness and attention to get out of the head and become more wholly present. 

The use of observing any kind of negative emotions or reactivity can also be a very useful “alarm clock”. Observing it in others is easier but to stand in the middle of oneself and name and hopefully call it down is where the big payoffs occur. This exercise is difficult to do but it’s just plain bad ass! For instance, notice here on the forum when other’s response to questions are more about looking big and important and just pissing all over someone, instead of a friendly, helpful form of skillful means. 

A tongue in cheek quote from Ocke de Boer comes to mind.” If you could float above the earth and become aware of all the negativity that’s going on, you would never laugh again.”

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Bump. Hey, @seeking_brilliance, excuse me for bumping into you this morning. ?

6 minutes ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

Bump. Hey, @seeking_brilliance, excuse me for bumping into you this morning. ?

Oh that's OK, I'm nice and... bumpable? 

@Roy this has helped me alot. After I started doing it I've noticed myself zoning into whatever I'm doing throughout the day, even medial tasks at work.  If you try it, just set some time aside and read it slowly and consciously, and try to follow the instructions. 

And with a smartphone, your daily check in is truly mobile. Have a hectic moment at work and need to realign? No problem. Head to the bathroom for a quickie (a quick check in, of course) 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

You don't need techniques. Just stop feeding on that entertainment BS that you subscribe to, and you will be fine. You have a limited amount of energy everyday, but you're wasting it on unnecessary stuff, for you. Instead, during that time, do nothing.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

@seeking_brilliance Good idea!

@Gesundheit You missed the subtlety of my point. If you read it that is. If that’s the case, excuse me.

I liked your witticism on the other thread though.

@Zigzag Idiot Yes, feeling into the body is a good practice, too. It requires energy to focus, though. But he said he's on autopilot for the most part. If you don't have enough energy, you won't have enough focus to make an effective practice. First, remove energy parasites, and then redirect your energies where you see fit.

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Just now, seeking_brilliance said:

Or.... Think of awareness /attention /focus practices as an effective dewormer. 

You have to be realistic about your advice. For example, awareness/attention/focus decreases before bed and you can't really do much about it. You can drink coffee, but it will be like overclocking your brain, which will eventually fire back at you.

14 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

@Zigzag Idiot Yes, feeling into the body is a good practice, too. It requires energy to focus, though. But he said he's on autopilot for the most part. If you don't have enough energy, you won't have enough focus to make an effective practice. First, remove energy parasites, and then redirect your energies where you see fit.

?

21 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

You have to be realistic about your advice. For example, awareness/attention/focus decreases before bed and you can't really do much about it. You can drink coffee, but it will be like overclocking your brain, which will eventually fire back at you.

Definitives do typically warp reality in a self fulfilling way. 

3 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

Definitives do typically warp reality in a self fulfilling way. 

You're referring to the Law of Attraction, which I don't necessarily disagree with. What I'm saying is that don't dismiss/underestimate the importance of understanding actual limitations.

Edited by Gesundheit

2 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

You're referring to the Law of Attraction, which I don't necessarily disagree with. What I'm saying is that don't dismiss/underestimate the importance of understanding actual limitations.

I wasn't thinking of LOA, just self fulfilling prophecies, but hmmm... Now I wonder if there's a difference... 

If you ask that you clearly havent reached enlightment yet.

Actually go towards enlightment and less toward techniques

5 hours ago, Pookie said:

Mindfulness 24/7. Basically always being alert every second of the day (even during sleep ;)). No need in setting aside an hour of meditation throughout the day only to act like an unconscious zombie the rest of the day.

How is that working out for you?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

9 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

If you ask that you clearly havent reached enlightment yet.

Actually go towards enlightment and less toward techniques

One thing at a time man lol. I've got a whole laundry list of things I want to do and accomplish before I can even get enlightened, whatever that might mean.

Thanks @Zigzag Idiot, @seeking_brilliance for your help.

hrhrhtewgfegege