Zigzag Idiot

David R. Hawkins, M.D., Ph.D

11 posts in this topic

David R. Hawkins, M.D., Ph.D    1927 - 2012

https://veritaspub.com/dr-hawkins/#Biography Summary

Hawkins developed a scale of Consciousness through use of Kinesiology (muscle strength testing)

Fellow Actualizers, please feel free to leave your favorite Hawkins lecture, article or your own comments about David Hawkins work if you feel it’s appropriate for this particular thread.

Edited by Leo Gura
Removed copyrighted image

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

His book on letting go has a very useful technique for letting go Of emotions

Don't take his numerical scale too seriously. Big picture-wise it's good.

God is Infinite Love. You will find nothing higher.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

56 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Don't take his numerical scale too seriously. Big picture-wise it's good.

God is Infinite Love. You will find nothing higher.

I never really have but I’m glad you expressed that. I always viewed the numbers as arbitrary but having value in the order they are and being relative to one another loosely There’s been a lot of people who have totally dismissed him because of the scale.
I like that he goes really deep into issues but is still often light hearted. It was about 15 years ago that I just lived and breathed his books for a couple of years. Reading them made me feel high but in hindsight, I was still in a bit of Zen devil phase then.

I started reading his book "power vs force" which describes this whole scale. While the scale is somewhat useful in the big picture his whole deltoid experiment (on which the scale is based) is the biggest horseshit I've ever heard. All complete conjecture from an experimental point of view. I have no idea how he could have taken himself seriously. 

You want bad reviews?

From goodreads

he is not well reviewed on websites which evaluate spiritual teachers. His PhD is from the now closed Columbia Pacific University which has been charitably described as a diploma mill. This doesn't make him a bad man and there is an occasional nugget of insight in 368 pages which are otherwise awash in simplistic anecdotes and outlandish unsubstantiated claims.

`Positive energy increases muscular strength by 500 %`. Come on... I have been weightlifting for 5 years now and being in a good or bad mood doesnt matter at all for muscular strength.
`I desired a nice appartment in New York, then I let go of my desire and got an appartment. Therefore it must be because of the letting go technique.` There is a difference between coincedence and causation...
We need to let go of negative energy and move towards the opposite positive energy, at the same time nonduality is the most positive energy while nonduality actually means that there is no positive or negative. Huhh??
I can go on but you get the point, new age crap.

I am deeply unimpressed. This book would be about half it's actual length if you cut the lists to manageable size and removed the outlandish claims (such as it being able to cure allergies). It usual riddled with false claims about auras (debunked) and other New age claptrap.
I honestly hope it gets better because right now, one star is too high.
Edit: So apparently, if multiple books are written on a subject then it must be true (ie near death experiences giving you psychic powers, the debunked theory of auras, This Cat In The Hat). This guy gives the vaguest examples and sits back as if he's said something profound. he refers to his own points as "glaringly obvious" if you "just think about it" in an effort to deride philosophers who disagree with him. my favorite so far is him talking about "pointless intellectualizing"...given that I haven't seen him make an actual point thus far, this is the height of hypocrisy.
All he does is rattle off fifty item lists and repeat the same question ten to fifteen times using different wording. I have concluded that mushrooms must have been involved.
This man somehow had a PhD...

But to be fair to him, his techniques and map of consciousness seem quite good.

There’s a lot of transrational  in transcending. 

“In this he says the ego blames rather than take responsibility, thrives on conflict, clings to the past, fears the future, likes excuses, tends to go into denial rather than admit, it’s impatient and doesn’t want to wait. Waiting when your uncomfortable  is difficult.”

yep, true that.

Muscle testing is not a reliable method. It's too prone to confirmation bias and self-deception.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

When reading his books I'm underlying a whole lot because he makes really great points.

And then I read that Florida is way higher on the scale than California (he ranks it as the lowest state in terms of consciousness) xD

He's definitely biased towards conservatism. But when it comes to epistemology and spirituality in general he's quite wise.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.