Alfonsoo

Should I water FAST?

8 posts in this topic

I’m 20 y/o and I feel like my insulin resistance, sweet tooth, etc are fucked up due to years of bad dieting. I want to fast but I want to know if anybody has any advice or warnings or experiences that they can share. I’m mostly worried about stunning my growth. I’m planning on fasting for at least a week, ideally I wanna do it for as long as my lasts. Which I assume will be around a month, or until hunger naturally comes back.

Edited by Alfonsoo

Have you been diagnosed with insulin resistance? What's your a1c? No, long term fasting is not a good idea if you have blood sugar regulation problem. Diet needs to br adjusted first. Exercise is also brilliant for IS as it forces the cells to open up for glucose through an alternative pathway not dependent on insulin.

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

If you've been eating unhealthy for a long time I wouldn't recommend jumping into a 7 day fast. All the toxins in your body will start circulating and most of them won't get out, causing more harm than good. You'll feel terrible. 

Just do a 2-day water fast and start cleaning up your diet a lot. Eat whole foods, mostly just whole fruits and vegetables. Drink lots of juices and water.

Check out Anthony Williams, great books and info.

Before you fast, 

exercise and sauna are better ways to get the ball rolling. 

Fasting:

3 Days
End dinner at day -1 with high fat low carb
then only water with salt and potassium 
and go for walks.
Refeed doesnt matter at 3 days

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

Before doing any crazy prolonged fast, try intermittent fasting. After you can go 16-24 hours water fasted easily then you can start bumping it up to 36 hours then 48 hours then 3 days, etc. 

Doing a week long fast out the gate is setting yourself up for failure. Don't underestimate the difficulty (and potential danger) of a task like that...

Besides fasting isn't a "cure all". Fasting can only help so much. You must address the foods you do eat on a regular basis. That should be your priority. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

You're planning to fast for a WHOLE MONTH?! 

one day this will all be memories

I would not do a long fast like that without some sort of supervision. I would do maybe 24-48 hours of water fasting and call it good. I think a fast here and there can really help recharge the system. I actually might do one again here soon as I have not done one in awhile. 

How about you do a 3 to 5 day water fast and then switch to intermittent fasting?

Edited by Michal__