AleksM

Is introspection the best way to stop self-deception?

9 posts in this topic

Most people think of introspection as an analytical activity. Like it's about pondering the past. Evaluating thoughts, feelings and environment.  Looking into yourself and seeing the what caused something and how things are interconnected. 

Leo said that introspection is the solution to the problem of self-deception. But from what I understand connecting a behavior to its causes or consequences doesn't necessarily solve the problem while being mindful of the present moment does. 

Curious what you guys think.

Don't think of introspection as merely analysis. Introspection is literally: looking inward. Which is just consciousness.

There is no other way.

You just need to upgrade your notion introspection to a more holistic one.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@AleksM

It would seem that looking inside for "connecting behavior to causes/consequences" is more of a rational/analytical use of the mind for looking at itself and drawing conclusions, while being mindful might be a little more "sense/feeling oriented", which is of the mind-body, and at a more holistic level. People are often addicted to thinking, and that can be problematic. I can see how the latter might allow an insight to arise, which might "present" you with the goals of the said rational approach, but would more like a transrational/ transpersonal phenomenon.... I'd say it is more advantageous in that respect.

Edited by kbone

3 hours ago, AleksM said:

Most people think of introspection as an analytical activity.

I see analytical activity as a subset of introspection. For example, I would include observation and intuition as within introspection. 

In my opinion, self-deception is a tricky thing to overcome because, by its very nature, it TRIES to avoid detection. If you're lying to yourself but you KNOW you're lying to yourself, that's not a very effective lie, now is it?

You're lying to yourself constantly, and quite effectively, about lots of things that you're not consciously aware of (Hey, so am I!). Before you can change your behaviors, or even truly grasp and untangle all the ways a lie has polluted your way of seeing or interacting with the world, you must become aware of its very existence as a lie.

"Introspection," as Leo says, is "looking inward." I am more of an auditory person myself, so I often also describe it as "listening to myself." I consider my inner monologue (my "rational thoughts" composed of the language I use inside my head) to be "speaking to myself." On the other hand, there are subconscious feelings and intuitions that become drowned out by those "rational thoughts." Learning to introspect, for me, has been a lot less "talking to myself" and a lot more "listening to myself."

If you have a highly analytical mind, as I do, it's possible to "talk yourself into" almost anything. Your rational thoughts can support whatever argument you wish for them to support, regardless of whether they correspond to a true feeling inside of yourself. I've found, personally, that I can detect when I'm lying to myself when there seems to be an incongruence between what I rationally "tell myself"/ consciously speak aloud to believe, and what I feel inside of me. Sometimes this can even manifest in symptoms of physical discomfort--for example, getting a headache when I'm trying to make myself do something I'm "supposed to enjoy", or feeling sick to my stomach when I spend time with someone I supposedly "really love to be around."

I think the rational mind is an extremely effective tool for lots of logical activities. But I also think it can become overactive and hinder your introspection if you don't treat your feelings and intuitions with equal regard. It can be helpful to notice an incongruence, and then continue down the path by asking yourself "What is this feeling I have?" or "What situations provoke this feeling?" or "What relieves this feeling?"

It can still take a very long time to overcome self-deception :) but if you are committed to it, you will grow incrementally towards doing so!

Nope, gathering data is:

"Mathematical modes of learning in complex environments suggest that THE best strategy is to spend 90% of our efforts EXPLORING, i.e finding and copying others who appear to be doing well. The remaining 10% of the time should be spent on individual experimentation and thinking things through."

Social Physics on how to learn using taking in massive amounts of input and THEN applying them. Or to quote Ray Dalio "1st seek ALL dissenting opinions, 2nd stay flexible to options that come your way"

@AleksM

Observing the world, creating constructs/lenses, letting go constructs/lenses, downloading insights.

Consciously seeing this process and feeling into possible misalignment which reveals itself as not-good. Consciously seeing is holding constructs of your observed self-deceptive patterns as lenses. These lenses focus the light of awareness to reveal deception by illuminating places and revealing what doesn't resonate, what feels corrupted. Which each illumination it gets easier to feel into it. But you don't have to use lenses, just shining your light on your processes is good - you feel non-resonance because your being is already resonance.

@clararockmore  You rock! ^_^ (no pun intended)

Edited by Loving Radiance

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

If there is a problem and a present moment, there is self deception, the deception is there is a self experiencing. Self deception is not stoppable. Introspection reveals the perpetual creating of the deception, or, thought attachment. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE