Raphael

Should I Stop Seeing My Psychologist ?

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

over the last three month I've been seeing a psychologist to help me work on myself, but I found that it's a frustrating waste of time. In more than three month I've didn't learn anything on me, and it's also seems that she doesn't like her job and has some personnal problems. There are many blanks in our sessions where no one have nothing to say, it's very awkward. I feel resistance to speak with her, our sessions never last one hour it's more 45 minutes. It seems that she is pressed to end the session.

It's just like thinking alone and doing some personnal introspections, which I already does and I also meditate 40 minutes per days (10 when I wake up, and 30 before going to sleep). Should I stop seeing her ? Until now for me it's just a big waste of time that can be useful for doing other stuff.

If u have been there for 3 months and there is no sign of any progress, if you think that it's better to stop seeing her, go for it.  Sometimes changing destination helps more than staying on the same truck. I would suggest going to another psychologist :)

good luck

From my personal experience, I've had 7 different therapists and none of them ever worked out for me personally, all i heard was cliche advices that just went over my head and i resumed my neurotic acts in real life for years. Until i found leo's youtube channel where i binged on his content and it improved me overtime, especially the victim mentality videos they snapped me out of it. I've changed a lot taking a lot more action in real life compared to the past. life coaching can truly help you but you can also help yourself without it if applied right. self help content is truly a life changer if you apply it to your life.

Edited by khalifa

With my personal experience I can say that most psychologists/psychiatrists don't know what they really are doing. If you want really deep personal work you need to find better alternatives.

I believe you answered your own question. Since you intuitively feel that disconnection I think it's time to move on from their 'help' and either find another or wait awhile. I recommend you to read M Scott Pecks writing. He is a great psychiatrist and his books helped me a lot. He even states that most therapists are unqualified for it takes someone who truly understands the human mind and soul to really reach out.

In my experience, most psychologists are utterly useless. I went to multiple during my early teens, and none of them were able to tell me something about my psychology that I didn't already understand. Introspection is more effective than a psychologist. 

Thanks for the answers guys, I've never feel good at speaking with her since the beginning. With Leo's videos and others content that I've read/watch I already understand more the way of how my mind is working and that the big problem is the ego. Another problem that I have is social anxiety, I'm a very (very, very, ...) solo person, I've thought that it was great to see a psychologist to help me on this point.

@Raphael I think you have just answered that question yourself. There is no point wasting time on something that doesn't benefit you or help you. 

As a life coach myself who also has a business coach, health and fitness coach and my very own life coach as well, I'd say hiring a coach is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Instead of coucellors and psychologists who focus more on your past and reasons for this and that, a life coach can prides themselves on helping you to move forward so you get the results as quickly as possibly.

For me, I finally had direction and purpose in my life again and in less than a year I was running my own life coaching business and my life has changed.

Or you could always try another psychologist if you wanted to explore more about your feelings and perceptions of things. Sometimes we need to try a few different professionals in order to find one that suits us. 

@Raphael

I'm amazed no one mentionned this : this might be your mind talking, trying to resist change and sabotage your progress.

The way you view the situation is always subjective and fear of change and other feelings may push you to stop therapy when the progress is starting getting made.

But if you're not feeling it, then, simply find another one :)

@Raphael Try another one. Also, try searching for "relational therapy;" that's where I found the most help when working on my own social anxiety problem.

Ultimately the root of my social anxiety problem is a fear of others judging me, because I tend to judge them. Not sure if a similar thing applies to you, but I found it most helpful to start to free myself from this trap. Leo has lots of relevant videos. I found these the most helpful in this situation:

What I am reading now: Smile at Fear, Chögyam Trungpa

I've cancel my next appointment and chose to stop the therapy, but she called me recently. She said that she did some researches on a diagnostic center that can help to specify my type of disorder (development, etc.) and which therapy could be better for my problems, than a simple psychologist.

@Lynnel I've already saw three of theses videos, but I didn't really applied it. I actually know that this is what I should do, but my ego is always very resistant. So like Leo's said : I speak a lot of shit, but didn't applied this to myself.

If this is really the case, that you talk a lot and don't do anything, you must see a therapist of some sort, to keep in touch with your problems, to keep them in your mind (assuming you're not lying or hiding things to them).

It's too easy to forget and coming back to your old ways, the ego is very good at this.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them