PurpleTree

Have you ever meditated in a group or been part of a meditation group

13 posts in this topic

Or are you still doing that?

If so what's your experience?

I see these Satsangs on youtube sometimes and they look nice.

And recently thought it would be nice to have a group to meditate with in a room, where i could also ask questions etc.

Even visited a Buddhist group about 2 weeks. Not sure if this style is too religious for me though. I'd prefer a group in the Eckhart Tolle/Osho/Sadhguru etc. style of meditation and talking, where there aren't a lot of specific religious attachments. Obviously they tell some religious stories etc. which i don't mind.

Haven't done a lot of sitting meditation lately or basically none.

How timely. I had my first day at a new job and at the end of the day 5 of us had a mindfulness meditation session. Ofcourse I kept my mouth shut and pretended I haven't got a clue about meditation, because that way I enjoy it even more! They were pretty beginner level tho I am too compared to some of you guys hehe 

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

2 minutes ago, Dodo said:

How timely. I had my first day at a new job and at the end of the day 5 of us had a mindfulness meditation session. Ofcourse I kept my mouth shut and pretended I haven't got a clue about meditation, because that way I enjoy it even more! They were pretty beginner level tho I am too compared to some of you guys hehe 

Cool, sounds like a nice job environment.

Maybe you can even guide them a bit over time.

14 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

Cool, sounds like a nice job environment.

Maybe you can even guide them a bit over time.

It's a Catholic college and they put on a video of some phd guy explaining that the neuroscience studies show benefits and whatnot. He sounded a lot like Eckhart Tolle - talking about stillness and even used a bell.

Maybe he was just copying Eckhart ? I might recommend some of Eckhart's presence meditation for next one. 

They were all sitting in chairs and one laid down on the floor, but I opted to sit cross legged. I said its more comfortable for me ? i like to feel the energy of the legs. 

I didn't expect a Christian school to promote meditation tho, pleasant surprise. Also the morning email had an amazing prayer about how to let go ourselves into God's hands. Pretty neat.

Pope Francis is the best 

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

44 minutes ago, Dodo said:

It's a Catholic college and they put on a video of some phd guy explaining that the neuroscience studies show benefits and whatnot. He sounded a lot like Eckhart Tolle - talking about stillness and even used a bell.

Maybe he was just copying Eckhart ? I might recommend some of Eckhart's presence meditation for next one. 

They were all sitting in chairs and one laid down on the floor, but I opted to sit cross legged. I said its more comfortable for me ? i like to feel the energy of the legs. 

I didn't expect a Christian school to promote meditation tho, pleasant surprise. Also the morning email had an amazing prayer about how to let go ourselves into God's hands. Pretty neat.

Pope Francis is the best 

Yea when i was researching meditation groups nearby i also saw that some churches offer some kind of meditation. I think that's great.

Nobody else?

Sad

I've heard there are benefits meditating in a group setting.

Before the coronavirus I went to a weekly meditation group at a church, with no religious strings attached, I expect it'll start up again when the virus is over. Years ago I used to go to Buddhist groups  like Theravada and Zen, but you're right mostly they follow their own tradition. Also we used to have a small local spiritual group to meditate and share together but that folded. You're right it does have a different energy to meditating alone, I found it especially helpful for retreats to keep me going. Good luck I hope you find one that's right for you.

Edited by silene

I'm normally more calm around people in general, so for me I tend to feel more at ease and feel more of my body etc while meditating with others, even if it's not a formal meditation environment. I would say, why not?

Yes, it is very powerful, especially with a cohesive group of similar intent. The collective energy provides greater intensity, depth and stability in your meditations. We did this once on a mountain top followed by several ohms. The energetic flow was profound.

I've done a lot of meditation in groups, mostly in the context of soto zen, but a bit in vipassana tradition too. In Buddhism you often hear about taking refuge in the 3 jewels: The Buddha, The Dharma (the teachings), and The Sangha (the community). It can be helpful to be part of a community in a meditation practice.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

I have done the Goenka Vipassana 10 day retreat.  The group help maintain discipline and one’s enthusiasm.  Years ago, I did meditation retreats with Shinzen Young, which was nice because he was informal and would give Dharma talks.   I have done some Zen retreats, and they expect you to maintain a perfect posture.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

@PurpleTree I am visiting a zen group once a week (during corona less) for 3 years now and it helps me to push through the sits with a still body. Also reciting texts/chanting is a nice experience with other people. I find zen very minimalistic and if you find the right group it‘s not that religious at all??‍♂️