tuckerwphotography

Thoughts on Sam Harris

112 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, josh jones said:

Leo definitely uses both rationalism and post rationalism, and seems to confuse the two quite a bit, and it's also no reason why it wouldn't be beneficial to see him have some of his ideas challenged.

You're missing the point. Post-rationalism cannot be readily defended in a debate, because a debate is rationalistic.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

so don't call it a debate for Christ sake. I feel like this has become pointless semantics.

i do get your point but people who have made some of the wild claims Leo has made should be held to some scrutiny, that's all. Lots of his followers are gullible. And some of the stuff Leo talks about does fit into rationalist arguments.

Edited by josh jones

5 minutes ago, josh jones said:

so don't call it a debate for Christ sake. I feel like this has become pointless semantics.

Should we call it arguing instead? Point still stands.

2 minutes ago, josh jones said:

i do get your point but people who have made some of the wild claims Leo has made should be held to some scrutiny, that's all. Lots of his followers are gullible. And some of the stuff Leo talks about does fit into rationalist arguments.

Some of it does, yes, and people like Sam would probably agree with many of those points. The "wild claims" is what I"m talking about.

The thing is that lovely boy Sam has done nothing for neuroscience. Starseed giggle hee hee hee. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

leo uses post rationalist arguments to justify rationalist ideas and vice versa. Having a recorded dialogue between him and someone who could point out inconsistencies like that could be illuminating.

Just now, josh jones said:

leo uses post rationalist arguments to justify rationalist ideas and vice versa.

That makes zero sense.

hypothetical example: I became god so I know for sure and you must believe me 1+1=2

@neutralempty I don't know where you're getting all that about me...i didn't say any of that. Just that he mixes up the two methods in such a way that makes things unsubstantiable or unfalsifiable.

saying "I know the mind of god, therefore x", cannot be argued with reasonably, even if x is a so called rationalist point.

2 hours ago, josh jones said:

hypothetical example: I became god so I know for sure and you must believe me 1+1=2

But that is exactly NOT what it's about. You're not supposed to take it on belief: you're supposed to go experience it for yourself. That is exactly why there is no point having a debate about it.

honestly I'm so grossed out and put off by Leo that I'm probably gonna bail on this forum. I was just trying to figure out what kind of people follow him and why, and I think I kinda got an answer.

19 minutes ago, josh jones said:

honestly I'm so grossed out and put off by Leo that I'm probably gonna bail on this forum. I was just trying to figure out what kind of people follow him and why, and I think I kinda got an answer.

What was the answer?

8 hours ago, josh jones said:

leo uses post rationalist arguments to justify rationalist ideas and vice versa. Having a recorded dialogue between him and someone who could point out inconsistencies like that could be illuminating.

What do you want to debate? Which ideas do you not enjoy? 

Edited by Jacob Morres