Javfly33

Trying to get a job in software developer. Advice please .

25 posts in this topic

So Ive been coding on my own almost 2 years . I have a nice portfolio, but even though I have scored some interviews and I haven't been able to land a job. And lately I'm not getting any interviews (last 6 months), even though I've been basically applying to about 5~10 offers each day.

20 hours ago, Chumbimba said:

@Chumbimba "Unfortunately, the HackerRank Virtual Career fair is not currently available in your region." But thanks Dude :)

16 hours ago, Khr said:

@Javfly33 practice your interview skills, there are lots of books on how to ace the interview. If you’ve been getting the interviews, but not landing any jobs that means you don’t know how to sell yourself. I’ve met so many brilliant/technically strong people who suck at interviews.

Yeah,  I have read some blog posts about how to do an interview. Honestly so far the interviewers has said I didn´t passed because they were looking for more experienced people. But that makes me suspicious because they if they were why would they interview me in the first place¿

@Javfly33 Do you want to freelance to get some money and grow your portfolio? I'm looking for a dev (mostly back end stuff). Drop me a pn 

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

For me it was just a case of spamming my CV (I sent out over 200 or so), hiring multiple professionals to refine and update my CV, learning to get better at my interviews. I worked very hard at building a solid portfolio. If you have any friends or relatives who are involved in business, you could say you worked for them part time to help build their website or some software. I only started coding properly 1 year ago and I landed my first job 3 months ago. DONT GIVE UP!

Hi! You can read an article on the skills and experience you need to become a developer. They will also affect your future salary. https://bridgeteams.com/blog/average-software-developer-salary/

Prepare for your interview. https://bridgeteams.com/blog/software-engineer-interview-questions/ It's very important to have not only hard skills but also soft ones. Think of all the questions you may be asked and write down your answers in advance. It will help you not get lost.

On 22/9/2020 at 9:36 PM, SaltyMeatballs said:

For me it was just a case of spamming my CV (I sent out over 200 or so), hiring multiple professionals to refine and update my CV, learning to get better at my interviews. I worked very hard at building a solid portfolio. If you have any friends or relatives who are involved in business, you could say you worked for them part time to help build their website or some software. I only started coding properly 1 year ago and I landed my first job 3 months ago. DONT GIVE UP!

I might hire smeone to refine my CV and cover letter presentation...etc. Thanks for encouragement!

@JasonBrenner Thanks

You have to understand where your soul lies. You have to practice more. Every interview is a small step towards a big win. Or develop freelance skills to the ideal

I'm a developer.

Which programming languages have you practiced during these 2 years?
To how many job interviews have you actually been to?

With 2 years of learning, and 5-10 applications per day ... somethings fishy..

On 24/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, meow_meow said:

I'm a developer.

Which programming languages have you practiced during these 2 years?
To how many job interviews have you actually been to?

With 2 years of learning, and 5-10 applications per day ... somethings fishy..

@meow_meow I have practiced Javascript and Java. I have practiced the most React framework, but basically I have developed several full stack aps in Javascript, an app on aws, I know sql. 

I have attended about 6 jobs interviews if i remember correcly. I´ve been applying maybe since -9 months ago to jobs

Whether you know about LOA or you think that it is just making people more confident try listening to this every morning.

My main concern lately has been being able to do the work once I get hired over someone who is usually more qualified. Thanks to stackoverflow it is not that much of a problem.

So Ive been coding on my own almost 2 years . I have a nice portfolio, but even though I have scored some interviews and I haven't been able to land a job. And lately I'm not getting any interviews (last 6 months), even though I've been basically applying to about 5~10 offers each day.

Yeah, in fact I've been searching for a job in IT for 3 years, and I didn't succeed until the moment I tried Linkedin, but, for example, my close friend was lucky to find a job with the help of his friend who was working in IT company (I guess it would be the best option for you - just ask your friends, maybe they will help you)

@Javfly33 I've been coding for 15 years and would like to offer you some advice. In that time, I have only met two people that made it without a degree that made it in my field. The first just loved computers, was curious, and a genius. He had practical skills as well as an in depth technical knowledge. He was always reading and learning.

The other lacked intelligence but made up for it in persistence and creative actions. He ran a local meetup group for software developers. I personally thought he was stupid but he earned my respect because he didn't quit. The last I heard about him we were both offered a job at the same company making $150k per year. I turned it down for something else whereas he accepted. I am still impressed that he was able to rake in that kind of salary with no college degree.

What you need is maximum exposure in your city. I would highly recommend starting a javascript meetup group and commit to doing at least one event per month. @SaltyMeatballs suggested that you hire a professional to write your resume and I encourage you to listen to him. I would never write my own resume, leave that to the professionals, trust me, it's worth it. Good on you for picking javascript, keep at it, it is and will always be the most sought after skill.

Learn everything you can about javascript. Read beginner and advanced books. Also, see if you can do some volunteer work. You are going to need to prove that you can handle responsibility. Look into open source projects, offer local companies to work for free or cheap, and just keep chugging along.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:20 PM, Javfly33 said:

@meow_meow I have practiced Javascript and Java. I have practiced the most React framework, but basically I have developed several full stack aps in Javascript, an app on aws, I know sql. 

I have attended about 6 jobs interviews if i remember correcly. I´ve been applying maybe since -9 months ago to jobs

That sounds really weird from my perspective.

I did ~ 6 months of intense learning PHP & basic JS, CSS, HTML ~4hours a day + courses once a week and landed my first job as a Junior PHP & JS developer within ~3 months.

However I did have some tricks up my sleeve - When I wasn't a developer yet, I did apply to other jobs and during my years I have been to ~20 job interviews and been trough a lot of tutorials on how to answer HR questions, how to talk properly during interviews, body language etc, and have worked a lot on my resume (CV)

If you have 2 years of learning, and are able to write full-stack applications, with AWS and SQL knowledge, It's probably not the technical part that's lacking - it's probably how you communicate during job interviews/how your resume presents yourself. Maybe look up some videos on youtube about how to nail a job interview - maybe theres something you're doing horribly wrong?

Edited by meow_meow

On 18/9/2020 at 3:11 AM, Khr said:

@Javfly33 practice your interview skills, there are lots of books on how to ace the interview. If you’ve been getting the interviews, but not landing any jobs that means you don’t know how to sell yourself. I’ve met so many brilliant/technically strong people who suck at interviews.

Yeah I will do that, I definitely feel I suck at interviews

@meow_meow Yet when I get the email saying I wasn't selected they always has said it was because I lacked experience in the field 

9 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

Yeah I will do that, I definitely feel I suck at interviews

@meow_meow Yet when I get the email saying I wasn't selected they always has said it was because I lacked experience in the field 

The fact that they even explain why you were rejected is even weirded, I have never ever received any explanation from any company of why I wasn't accepted.

Anyway, maybe try to lower the bar a little and apply to Junior roles where little to none experience is required. Even tho, I think "Junior Java" developer positions are quite rare..

6 hours ago, meow_meow said:

The fact that they even explain why you were rejected is even weirded, I have never ever received any explanation from any company of why I wasn't accepted.

Anyway, maybe try to lower the bar a little and apply to Junior roles where little to none experience is required. Even tho, I think "Junior Java" developer positions are quite rare..

Yeah, I suspect much of their explanations are just plain BS, but anyway...

I don´t know that much about Java tho, I just did 3 month free pseudo bootcamp so I know "something" but is definetely JS where I feel comfortable and have more or less solid knowledge

21 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

Yeah, I suspect much of their explanations are just plain BS, but anyway...

I don´t know that much about Java tho, I just did 3 month free pseudo bootcamp so I know "something" but is definetely JS where I feel comfortable and have more or less solid knowledge

Have you tried Upwork just to get some money in the meantime? It will probably pay less than a regular job, unless you know what you're doing, but still, extra money would probably help in your situation, right ?

14 hours ago, Michal__ said:

Have you tried Upwork just to get some money in the meantime? It will probably pay less than a regular job, unless you know what you're doing, but still, extra money would probably help in your situation, right ?

@Michal__

I have tried it, haven´t been able to make it working. I don´t remember if they didn´t accepted me (but it was a long time ago when I had little coding knowledge). Might give it a try again, thanks for the suggestion

@Javfly33 It won't be easy to make money in upwork by only knowing JS, but it's still possible to make a few extra bucks, so yea - go try it out.

Anyways, by this time you probably have already figured it out that your resume must be on point, your communication skills have to be sharp and continue learning Angular, nodeJS, TypeScript if you really want to be a competent JS developer.

I've personally done my training from this guy:
Don Georgevich IMO his explanations are clear and easy to understand, also he teaches how to pass 99% of HR questions.

... or maybe you just need to be yanked by your nutsack , lol.