Alfonsoo

examples of Non-Duality in Christianity and other religions

15 posts in this topic

Can you help me make a list of non-dual teachings and examples en christianity, the Bible, and from other religious materials from any culture.

thanks! i’m trying to understand how non-duality got lost in religion 

Have you seen this thread from last year, it's something to start from at least: 

The entire myths of god creating the earth and the fallen angel leaving heaven to become a devil along with adam and eve in the garden of eden is basically the fundamentals of non-duality. 

3 hours ago, Lyubov said:

The entire myths of god creating the earth and the fallen angel leaving heaven to become a devil along with adam and eve in the garden of eden is basically the fundamentals of non-duality. 

how so? If anything that highlights duality to me. I'd be interested in seeing how you came to that conclusion?

26 minutes ago, SgtPepper said:

how so? If anything that highlights duality to me. I'd be interested in seeing how you came to that conclusion?

I'll summarize it simply. It basically explains the switch from non-duality to duality. in the beginning there was just god (heaven, oneness, nothing) and it said let there be light, the seven days, etc and god looked upon it's creation and it was good (everything is good). adam in the garden, ignorance to perception, eats the apple, creates the duality of there being something that is bad/evil.

The fallen angel leaving heaven to rule over it's domain as a devil, separate from oneness, but the devil has only a finite amount of time before god returns and returns everything to oneness. devil does not have a bad connotation here. it just means experience from a finite dual perspective of self and other that is ultimately false compared to the absolute and will one day return to truth, god. 

Edited by Lyubov

Nonduality doesn't get lost in religion, it gets lost in the mind. If you go deep enough into anything at all, it's there... or rather duality is not there. The Gospel of Thomas has the clearest nondual pointers but plenty of them survived in the four gospels. 

They are easily missed... here's a good example. 

“Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” Luke 9:56

To the mind this means Jesus has no home. Go deep enough in non duality and you realize the son of man doesn't just refer to Jesus himself but something profound and Jesus is essentially saying here, "you don't have a brain, your brain is a belief." 

In other words, that mind I just said nonduality gets lost in... never existed anyway. 

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Revelation 1:18

"I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades."

1 John 4:12

"No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."

1 John 4:16

"God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them."

Just found this one right after John 4:12, this one blew me away

5 hours ago, Lyubov said:

I'll summarize it simply. It basically explains the switch from non-duality to duality. in the beginning there was just god (heaven, oneness, nothing) and it said let there be light, the seven days, etc and god looked upon it's creation and it was good (everything is good). adam in the garden, ignorance to perception, eats the apple, creates the duality of there being something that is bad/evil.

The fallen angel leaving heaven to rule over it's domain as a devil, separate from oneness, but the devil has only a finite amount of time before god returns and returns everything to oneness. devil does not have a bad connotation here. it just means experience from a finite dual perspective of self and other that is ultimately false compared to the absolute and will one day return to truth, god. 

I dig it! thank you!

Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the (Father's) domain]."

Jesus said, "Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

- Gospel of Thomas

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

"A Course in Miracles" is where I go for non-dual Christianity. 

I only have the workbook. If anyone here thinks it's worth buying the theory, let me know or explain why it's good. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

IMG_1183.JPG

Basicly a contemporary how to manual,,,,,,Note the subtitle- Nondual Christianity in Theory and Practice - I highly recommend it. Also her book The Wisdom Jesus.

IMG_1186.JPG

Also here is a good ACIM site. https://acourseinmiraclesnow.com/

There are several different ACIM websites to be found online. Most of them are really decent.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Yes

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

On 9/14/2020 at 4:14 PM, Lyubov said:

where on the bible can I find this?