How to be wise

How Long Does It Take To Get Enlightened

76 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2016 at 0:20 PM, cetus56 said:

I heard there is an app. now for the exact date, time and location that enlightenment will happen. Just plug in your age, sex, country of origin, and degree of self illusion and the app. does the rest for you.

Hahahaha love it

1) Brutal honesty - Be stone-cold like Steve Austin in your contemplations. Whatever thoughts, feelings, emotions arise pour that 55 gallon drum of whoop ass all the fuck over them.  

2) Do SDS while listening to Leo's "Guided Meditation - The Next Level of Meditation" and continue your sit for 40 minutes after the audio is finished. Keep it simple. This is all you need. Stone Cold can attest to this being all you need--It's the bottom line because, well, he said so. 

3) Practice conscious awareness all day. Watch all the little manipulations that your mind conjures up. Watch your feelings of anxiety. Watch what comes up in awareness when Vince McMahon tries to tell you what to do, and the thought arises (as a replication of the sound of angry, charged English words (or whichever language you feel comfortable experiencing this thought): "Nobody, especially Vince McMahon, tells How to Be Wise what to do, and that's the bottom line!"

That will get you where you want to go as quickly as possible. Stone Cold's great and all, but I gotta give this last bit to my man Dwayne Johnson. But I'm gonna change a few of the words. Hope you don't mind, Rock: When the demons come knocking at your door, don't hide in the corner and hope they leave quickly. Tell them to kick that bitch in and introduce themselves ;)

14 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Life is short and I must make the most of it. If you spend your whole life on enlightenment life will be like those monks in China or wherever, which is nice, but I only have one life and I want to do everything possible which means doing everything as quickly as possible. Awareness and stuff is great but there's more to life than just that which means you can't take your time. A rant against lifestyle minimalism. 

@How to be wise From what you describe here, you relate to yourself strictly from the perspective that you belong to time. Time owns you, so to speak. That is an illusory trap or imprisonment that the "self" imposes to keep you from experiencing true liberation. Enlightenment happens after the limitations of space/time have been transcended. It's one of the hallmarks of enlightenment. Time and space are something that happens within what is timeless and space less. Enlightenment is a 180 deg. shift in consciousness from the place you experience yourself now.

I have been strictly meditating for 10 months now. I didn't miss any day. In the first days, all of my family started laughing at me, lol. I started with 20 minutes, then 1 hours, now I do 2 hours separately. All I can tell youuu is that it feels amaaazing ;)  

In my opinion, guys, it is better to just use the tool ( meditation). Let enlightenment comes naturally.  

42 minutes ago, Muhammad said:

I have been strictly meditating for 10 months now. I didn't miss any day. In the first days, all of my family started laughing at me, lol. I started with 20 minutes, then 1 hours, now I do 2 hours separately. All I can tell youuu is that it feels amaaazing ;)  

In my opinion, guys, it is better to just use the tool ( meditation). Let enlightenment comes naturally.  

Which kind of meditation do you use 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise I used " The do-nothing technique" in the first place, then I did SDS, which I still do now. At night, just before I sleep, I am starting to do the surrender technique with the guided audio meditation Leo has uploaded. Tried it yesterday. It's great! 

1 hour ago, Muhammad said:

@How to be wise I used " The do-nothing technique" in the first place, then I did SDS, which I still do now. At night, just before I sleep, I am starting to do the surrender technique with the guided audio meditation Leo has uploaded. Tried it yesterday. It's great! 

If you want to get the benefits of meditation as quickly as possible you should use strong determination sitting, it's also the fastest way possible to enlightenment. That new meditation technique is for beginners who don't like meditation that much it's a lot easier. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

alot of enlightened people i have heard have said the most important factor to becoming enlightened is how much you want it, it needs to be your number 1 priority. timescale is hard to say, but from what i have heard if your going an hour a day of work, i would say maybe 10 years. 

On 14.8.2016 at 5:17 PM, How to be wise said:

If I do strong determination sitting everyday for one hour when will I become enlightened?

Depends on how long you need to see that any kind of action you take or do not take has nothing to do with you getting enlightened. I needed a good year to see that my meditation efforts have nothing to do with me getting enlightened. That doesn't mean that meditation is useless or you should stop, it makes you at some point very aware of this and that's important. You need to reach a stage at which you really see there is nothing you can do, nothing you cannot do and then shortly after the thing will happen. At least I had my biggest breakthroughs and realizations in that context.

Might take year, might take 20 years. Don't ask such foolish questions. :P

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

@Azrael when you say there is nothing you can do or can not do to become enlightened, do you mean cos there is know one here to do anything or become enlightened, or that it doesnt matter if practice takes place or not enlightenment is just as likely to happen either way. 

16 hours ago, bobbyward said:

alot of enlightened people i have heard have said the most important factor to becoming enlightened is how much you want it, it needs to be your number 1 priority. timescale is hard to say, but from what i have heard if your going an hour a day of work, i would say maybe 10 years. 

there is no quarantees. lets face it, probably 99% of the people who want to become enlightened never become that. It´s is very rare. But it is still worth doing the work, even thought you wouldnt become enlightened, you will learn a lot how you´re mind and psyche works. I think we have better teachers nowadays than ever, who can point you to right direction, so the likelyhood of enlightenment should be bigger than ever.

2 hours ago, bobbyward said:

@Azrael when you say there is nothing you can do or can not do to become enlightened, do you mean cos there is know one here to do anything or become enlightened, or that it doesnt matter if practice takes place or not enlightenment is just as likely to happen either way. 

This is a very nuanced topic and for the normal mind hard to understand, but what I mean is this:

As a beginner you are rooted in your sense of self and this is an illusion. At first it can be very useful to practice a lot (e.g. meditation, self-inquiry, analyzing your whole thinking apparatus) to build awareness and see that this false sense of self really is an illusion. Get to the stage at which this not just a belief Leo put in your mind with his videos but you experienced it yourself. You can do that through practice.

At this point you are not enlightened yet. You had a few glimpses and you are in a very fucked up situation. You know that your sense of self is an illusion, however you are still rooted in it.

At this point I think a lot of people fail. They just try to get on with their practice, do it even harder and just try to get in there. Won't happen for a lot, I'd guess. At some point you just see that it doesn't make any difference how much you meditate and try to get this thing because every effort gets you away from it.

At that point you try to not do anything anymore. This is still a very nuanced effort to get it. You just shifted your strategy. You maybe still meditate and do your stuff but with another mindset, the mindset of "I just surrender to it".

This is good, and a phase you'll probably need to go through. After some time however, you even see that this doesn't bring you any further. And when this happens there is something inside of you that authentically gives up. Maybe you purged through so much pain and suffering that you just can't take it anymore (that happened to me), maybe you sincerely give up... and then you will awaken yourself.

But this is nothing you can do on purpose. It happens by itself. And you have to trust it. Did you have to go through a lot of phases to get there, yeah maybe. Some might need that, others maybe not. But in the end it's like you train yourself to become a good car driver. In the beginning you learned all the techniques and sucked at it. Then you tried to just let it flow and drive like all the good drivers you know but you were still insecure... and at some point you drive while having an in-depth discussion with a friend while smoking a cigarette and reaching for a water bottle and then it hits you...

You got in. You are a good driver now, but this last step from mediocre to good were not your conscious decision. We might call it experience, but it's more nuanced then that.

And this is analogous how you'll awaken. At some point you think you know everything there is to know, you've learned all the techniques and tried to surrender to it like the Zen masters, but you are still phony. Then you'll awaken and see there were nothing you could do.

To sum it up .. practice makes you enlightenment-prone. But just enlightenment will enlighten you. And there is nothing you can do. So maybe it'll take twenty years of heavy practice or maybe it takes 2 years of some practice. Maybe it takes none. And then the thing happens.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

On 14/8/2016 at 5:00 PM, How to be wise said:

Life is short I can't spend more than a decade on this I've got more important things to do 

Thing is.. if you want to be happy and free in life (which motivates every action you take), well then no you don't have more important things to do.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:09 AM, bobbyward said:

An hour a day of work?  An hour a day will do nothing more than relax your body.  People who become enlightened (and there are few) have had nothing short but an absolute burning desire to give up everything they have for freedom.  That means even their own mind and everything they think life is supposed to be about.  People from all over the world travel to spots where gurus have lived and self-inquire all day and still don't become Self Realized..

A hour a day...?

@Matthew Lamot Have you ever considered just having an awakening expectance for starts? Ego-death as it is sometimes called. That can be done at any time providing your willing to let go of self. A full surrender takes only a moment. Listen to Leo's video Creating the experience of no-self and have the actual experience of what he is saying.

According to Leary, Metzer & Alpert (1964), ego death, or ego loss as they call it, is part of the (symbolic) experience of death in which the old ego must die before one can be spiritually reborn.[13] Ego loss is

... complete transcendence − beyond words, beyond space−time, beyond self. There are no visions, no sense of self, no thoughts. There are only pure awareness and ecstatic freedom from all game (and biological) involvements.

13 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@Matthew Lamot Have you ever considered just having an awakening expectance for starts? Ego-death as it is sometimes called. That can be done at any time providing your willing to let go of self. A full surrender takes only a moment. Listen to Leo's video Creating the experience of no-self and have the actual experience of what he is saying.

According to Leary, Metzer & Alpert (1964), ego death, or ego loss as they call it, is part of the (symbolic) experience of death in which the old ego must die before one can be spiritually reborn.[13] Ego loss is

... complete transcendence − beyond words, beyond space−time, beyond self. There are no visions, no sense of self, no thoughts. There are only pure awareness and ecstatic freedom from all game (and biological) involvements.

It does not matter how many experiences of no self you have.  They have nothing to do with enlightenment.  Enlightenment is the hard and fast knowledge that you are already the Self.  But the reason you don't know it is because ignorance is hard wired.

Most of what we know in the west is corrupt knowledge about enlightenment.  A bastardized corrupt version of enlightenment is some mystical experience that is different from ordinary everyday mundane experience.  

No amount of samadhi "experiences" will change thought patterns of duality.  James Swartz personally knew a guy who was in samadhi state for 4 years, and came out of it and was back to square one.  

If you want to understand what enlightenment really is beyond what you currently understand it to be, read the link posted on my signature at the bottom of my posts.

Enlightenment is really about education rather than the egos experiences.

32 minutes ago, Matthew Lamot said:

Enlightenment is really about education rather than the egos experiences.

When there is no self, there is no experience to be had of any kind, mystical or otherwise. No ego exists. No educational knowledge exists. No time exists. No space exists. No you exists. There is only pure awareness or pure being. It is what we are behind the mask of the ego self identification with all  it's knowledge and experiences. It lies beyond all that folly.

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

And I know you mean well, and I appreciate it.  :)

1 minute ago, cetus56 said:

When there is no self, there is no experience to be had of any kind, mystical or otherwise. No ego exists. No educational knowledge exists. No time exists. No space exists. No you exists. There is only pure awareness or pure being. It is what we are behind the mask of the ego self identification with all  it's knowledge and experiences. It lies beyond all that folly.

You didnt read the article.  That's ok.  :) You know best

10 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

And by the way, I've been there hundreds of times.  Now every day I go there.  The deep bliss of nothingness, ignoring all objects of mind, netti netti of the knower itself, and that knower, deeper and deeper experiences of nothing.

There is another stage beyond what you describe, where it is the extinction of even awareness.  This is called the Absolute.  I'm sure I have been there, I know I am.  But each time I come out of it, the ignorance is still there, and the suffering.  So I know experiences dont mean anything, because the one "experiencing" is still some form of subtle ego, still some form of subtle duality.  Because the experiencer has no way of recording the extinction of nirvana.  We can never "experience" the Self.