BipolarGrowth

Is Consciousness there during deep sleep?

29 posts in this topic

I found this video interesting. She states that there is consciousness in deep sleep, but I’m still somewhat skeptical. What are your thoughts? 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

Yes, you spend the night thinking, just not in a way with memory or many other usual contents. Memory plays into dreams, but I am referring to the kind of immediate term memory that gives us a sense of time.

All there is in deep sleep is pure consciousness. There are no objects or dreams, so there is nothing to remember of, after waking up. 

You might say that deep sleep ist the state in which you are fully awake. And when you wake up your dream begins. 

Better question might be: Is there "deep sleep" during consciousness?

Or "waking state" for that matter...

That's something I'm also skeptical about.

During deep sleep there is no I who is conscious. But then, you could say that the I who is conscious when you're awake is just a thought that appears in consciousness.

I don't know. I still believe that consciousness is a product of a particular brain activity. 

14 minutes ago, Farnaby said:

I who is conscious when you're awake is just a thought that appears in consciousness.

In a way you answered your own question, if you are skeptical from spiritual standpoint , science seems to be starting to verify it too in latest researches.

True consciousness is beyond time, but saying this will seem as overblown statement.

Edited by purerogue

Consciousness isn’t aware of the functionality of a mind, nor of states, but is the appearance as such. No ‘you’ = no ‘sleep’. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Jesus christ here we go again.

There´s no such a thing as deep sleep!

Have you ever become directly conscious of such a thing as deep sleep? No, right?

@Javfly33 yet, you can see other people sleeping and know if they're in deep sleep or other states of sleep. 

So, even if you have never been conscious of your own deep sleep, you can be conscious of the deep sleep in other people. 

6 minutes ago, Farnaby said:

@Javfly33 yet, you can see other people sleeping and know if they're in deep sleep or other states of sleep. 

So, even if you have never been conscious of your own deep sleep, you can be conscious of the deep sleep in other people. 

Not that you have never been conscious of your deep sleep,but that you do not have memory of being conscious. 

You might not have memory of what you did minute ago,but you are certain that you were conscious because of belief that you did something, so you must have been conscious. 

Edited by purerogue

7 minutes ago, Farnaby said:

No, you are consciouss of a body laying there doing nothing.

Be honest if that is the same as being consciouss of deep sleep.

6 hours ago, Farnaby said:

Likewise, the illusion of “death”. 

Perception is never thought, thought is never perceived. 

Smoke & mirrors. 

The answer is so clear. The mind likes to over-complicate a Lot of things when they are so simple... In deep sleep there is no such thing as anything.. None.. Zero..all is gone.. No consciousness no self no other no existence no non-existence no nothingness no deep sleep even.  It's so clear. You can mentally masturbate your way around this.. But I choose to go with obvious shit. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Nahm you could say there is something prior to sleep and awake that is witnessing the two.. I have no problem with that and maybe that's what spiritual folks mean by "consciousness".  To be clear and save the confusion.. If what is meant by "consciousness" is sight. sound.. Smell.. Taste. Touch.. Thought.... The answer is big NO.. These things do not exist in deep sleep.  What is left is a very special state.. Feel free to call it "pure consciousness" but we both know the same thing that we are referring to and how it feels (not feels) like. 

-Osho

23 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Likewise, the illusion of “death”. 

↑↑↑

5 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Nahm you could say there is something prior to sleep and awake that is witnessing the two.. I have no problem with that and maybe that's what spiritual folks mean by "consciousness".  To be clear and save the confusion.. If what is meant by "consciousness" is sight. sound.. Smell.. Taste. Touch.. Thought.... The answer is big NO.. These things do not exist in deep sleep.  What is left is a very special state.. Feel free to call it "pure consciousness" but we both know the same thing that we are referring to and how it feels (not feels) like. 

No.

I mean anyone says there is no deep sleep or that there is no loss of awareness during sleep.. Please from now on don't go to bed anymore even when you are about to go nuts from being excessively conscious. 

@Javfly33 do you go to bed at night?  May I ask you why? What's your intention behind this activity? 

-Osho

4 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I mean anyone says there is no deep sleep or that there is no loss of awareness during sleep.. Please from now on don't go to bed anymore even when you are about to go nuts from being excessively conscious. 

@Javfly33 do you go to bed at night?  May I ask you why? What's your intention behind this activity? 

To rest.

Deep sleep is a concept and it´s impossible that such thing exists. The same as death.

Death = non existence. Deep sleep = non existence.

Contemplate if non existence can exist. (Oh, the irony :))

Edited by Javfly33

2 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

To rest 

Go into details. Describe the process.  How does resting happen?  How do you know when you are having insomnia?  What are you begging for when you haven't slept last night and have to wake up early? 

2 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

Death = non existence. Deep sleep = non existence.

Contemplate if such a thing as non existence can exist. (Oh, the irony )

That's a problem for language and not for reality itself. Reality doesn't care about the errors in our mind's pathetic software "oh non existence does not exist because it's linguistically a contradiction".   We all have an idea what deep sleep is.. Ofcourse the idea itself is not the actuality of but we all been asleep before.. So the question is not present.  If you are a normal human being who goes to sleep every night and not some weird caffeine alien you shouldn't have a single doubt about this question.  But as I said.. The mind likes to over-complicate stuff. 

-Osho

@Someone here

The materialist paradigm is the belief consciousness arises from or is a product of the mind body. That you are conscious, that you sleep, that you are awake. Too much belief in this leaves little room for actual awakening.