Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Iverson

Is it possible to sustain the good emotions? Such a desire?

22 posts in this topic

Is it possible to sustain good emotions and at the same time you don't feel negative emotions at all? Or a strong negative emotions? And if yes, could i get that through this kind of approach? (be more focus on this feeling good such as desire and this will completely ignore the negative emotion?  And now i will live with this good emotion for the rest of my life

No, it's not possible. More dangerously, by striving to achieve pleasant emotions and vilifying unpleasant emotions, we're putting greater distance between ourselves and the present moment. 

Ironically, by learning to let go of that need and just accepting what we're feeling fully, we'll actually probably feel better after (but that's not the focus). Reality is impermanent, and living with reality more fully is what i consider Truth. 

That doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy pleasant emotions and generate them when you can. There are a lot of great meditation practices (metta, pleasant body sensation focused shamatha) that actually encourage this, and they're very useful when you are feeling difficult emotions. But they help because instead of "ignoring" or suppressing the unpleasant emotion, you're fully feeling them until they pass. 

Getting started with a habit of meditation is the best thing you can do. Later on you can start focusing on different styles of meditation that cultivate different things. Check out Sharon Salzburg and Kristen Neff for the metta/compassion stuff and Michael Taft & Shinzen Young for nondual/awareness meditations.

Best of luck! 

No, because "negative" emotions play a role. We need "negative" emotions to navigate life. It's them getting stuck and our own ignorance of how to handle our emotions is what can get us into trouble sometimes. You can achieve a way of being where you feel connected to peace and truth at all times and still feeling the full spectrum of emotions. 

Edited by Lyubov

16 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

You can achieve a way of being where you feel connected to peace and truth at all times and still feeling the full spectrum of emotions. 

So we cannot escape negative emotions?

1 hour ago, sonnaroo said:

No, it's not possible. More dangerously, by striving to achieve pleasant emotions and vilifying unpleasant emotions, we're putting greater distance between ourselves and the present moment. 

Ironically, by learning to let go of that need and just accepting what we're feeling fully, we'll actually probably feel better after (but that's not the focus). Reality is impermanent, and living with reality more fully is what i consider Truth. 

That doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy pleasant emotions and generate them when you can. There are a lot of great meditation practices (metta, pleasant body sensation focused shamatha) that actually encourage this, and they're very useful when you are feeling difficult emotions. But they help because instead of "ignoring" or suppressing the unpleasant emotion, you're fully feeling them until they pass. 

Getting started with a habit of meditation is the best thing you can do. Later on you can start focusing on different styles of meditation that cultivate different things. Check out Sharon Salzburg and Kristen Neff for the metta/compassion stuff and Michael Taft & Shinzen Young for nondual/awareness meditations.

Best of luck! 

Thank youuuuu

It's not possible to stay positive all the time. Lol at the guy who spray in water again and again.

It's possible but you will get closer to death every time you get more positive emotions. If you don't care about living long, then you can certainly do it. Suffering creates life.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

13 hours ago, John Iverson said:

"You are the vast Sky; the loving Mother of all 'positive' and 'negative' weather.

All feelings are valid, natural.

All feelings are your beloved children.

Anger, sadness, shame, fear;

you birthed them joyfully long ago." 

- Jeff Foster

13 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

It's possible but you will get closer to death every time you get more positive emotions. If you don't care about living long, then you can certainly do it. Suffering creates life.

Whaaaat , how can i sustain life at the same time I don't really suffer? 

6 hours ago, Brittany said:

"You are the vast Sky; the loving Mother of all 'positive' and 'negative' weather.

All feelings are valid, natural.

All feelings are your beloved children.

Anger, sadness, shame, fear;

you birthed them joyfully long ago." 

- Jeff Foster

Wow! It helps me to be more optimistic thank you ?

22 hours ago, John Iverson said:

No need to escape anything like this or try to avoid them. They are just emotions. They don't feel good all the time though I get you. Can really suck and sometimes just want to wish not having to feel all the painful/scary stuff. When I feel this I use it as a queue to ask if I am giving myself enough self love. 

3 hours ago, John Iverson said:

Whaaaat , how can i sustain life at the same time I don't really suffer? 

Not possible. If you want to live as long as possible, you have to accept the fact that you will suffer every now and then inevitably, like everyone else. Otherwise, you will not be able to sustain life for too long because you'll get used to comfort and become weak and lazy, which will lead to your death.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

38 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Not possible. If you want to live as long as possible, you have to accept the fact that you will suffer every now and then inevitably, like everyone else. Otherwise, you will not be able to sustain life for too long because you'll get used to comfort and become weak and lazy, which will lead to your death.

Yes it is the way reality forces itself on you. If you want your freedom and comfort reality will punish you hard. You have to be on your toes and be a bit paranoid. That is how it works. Life is not meant to make you happy. It's something else it seems

6 hours ago, Lyubov said:

No need to escape anything like this or try to avoid them. They are just emotions. They don't feel good all the time though I get you. Can really suck and sometimes just want to wish not having to feel all the painful/scary stuff. When I feel this I use it as a queue to ask if I am giving myself enough self love. 

Hmmm? I have a question if how am i supposed to approach the emotions of having a desire? And to express it? If the emotion is not there all the time so how can i express the desire? And also if the desire is not there what can i do about it? For example isn't it desire is the one that drive you? How can i approach the desire? Without clinging to it? Or should i always feel the emotion of it for the sake of something i am driven and motivated with my life? But also i am thinking about the plateau 

5 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

So in my journey i have to accept that life is not really easy? Ohhh and how about the negative thoughts? Is there a chance that it will happen???? 

Also i have the same question for you how about the desire the feeling of being driven? How can i approach that? Isn't it  that should be the one i should listen? And always try to feel even if I don't have that in the moment? Or what? I get you I don't want to be attached about it... and the the day of i'm in the plateau that I don't feel it how about that

Edited by John Iverson

5 hours ago, Epikur said:

Yes it is the way reality forces itself on you. If you want your freedom and comfort reality will punish you hard. You have to be on your toes and be a bit paranoid. That is how it works. Life is not meant to make you happy. It's something else it seems

Is it everyone of us suffer? All people? Every human?every stage of development?? 

so meaning i'm in a right place? That reality is making me stronger? And therefore that is love? To be honest, all my life i am weak, and now reality overwhelm me to all possible that can happen to me and i have issues in my attention, i remember i am not achiever when i was in every part of my school years, because i cannot handle even just a minute to read a notes or just listening to my teacher, i am not capable.. and i am super unconscious that time, so here i am 24 years old and reality overwhelming me, imagine life of being weak mentaly, psychologically. Academically and etc.. i am very slooooooooow! So right now idk my thoughts is bomarding me with so much negtive 

On 8/24/2020 at 10:11 PM, Gesundheit said:

Is feeling emotions fully and not giving in in negative thoughts could get me in enlightenment? Or it is just a right coping up for those? 

@John Iverson

Anything done consciously is good, doesn't matter what it is.

@John Iverson  I already told you in another one of your threads, and more importantly, you told it to yourself first, that the only place where you can be helped is here. By trying to find another state that doesn't take place now, you are automatically separating yourself and falling apart, notice that.

It's not about never feeling "negative emotions", it's about learning to control them. This is what stoicism and enlightenment helps us to do.