dyslexicCnut

Don't Excuse Leo's Problematic Floyd Opinions

55 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Opo said:

@dyslexicCnut Yea i was refering to the later point in the video in the beginning he didn't even show his hand. It dosent matter if you are too stupid or scared to do it at that moment you are a possible treat to the cop and he did the right thing by pulling out his gun. He didn't shoot him because he was black but he did what was needed to stay safe. 

U dont understand how guns work and how easy it could be for someone to kill a cop on that situation. 

Try expanding your empathy to everyone in that video otherwise this is pointless. Because right now you only care about George and you aren't able to be objective. 

I have some embarrassing information to reveal to you. We are referring to the exact same instance. Of course, we are both referring to the instance prior to the gun being pointed at Floyd (obviously... i mean what, no shit?)

When you watch the video again, you'll see that you mischaracterized it by saying he "moved his hand out of sight" as if it was initially in plain sight. It's obviously more accurate to say that his sincere cooperation was obscured by panic, resulting in a failure to fully present his right hand, as I said earlier.  He never "moved it out of sight" as if he was about to draw a gun and kill the officer.

It's quite funny that you would say I'm not able to be objective as you mistakenly insist we must be referring to separate instances of the footage since your narrative was contradicted. Not only were you blind to the reality that we are in fact referring to the same instance, but your denied misrepresentation of said instance will inevitably be confirmed to you once you rewatch the video. So much for objectivity.

On 8.8.2020 at 9:25 AM, Roy said:

Politics are about the collective, we are here as individuals doing personal development. We are here to better ourselves to serve as beacons of light in the world.

The personal development offered here is a holistic process. Conscious politics is a part of it.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:31 AM, Moreira said:

By the avatar of the OP, hes aproaching the topic with anarchist self bias, which are disfunctional by definition in a harmonic society.

Why? By the lights of some, anarcho-communism is the highest, most harmonic society that can be envisioned.  They might be right.

3 minutes ago, alan2102 said:

Why? By the lights of some, anarcho-communism is the highest, most harmonic society that can be envisioned.  They might be right.

U can envision a lot of stuff, what matters is how it functions in the real world. 

Edited by Opo

On 8/8/2020 at 3:25 AM, Roy said:

Regardless of his opinions on this specifically, more broadly I think it's disappointing Leo has steered Actualized.Org in the directions of politics so damn heavily instead of remaining and going deeper on actual practical personal development. It's like nobody can help themselves these days as content creators but to shout their opinions if the platform is there. Perhaps a subtle marketing move to draw in more subscribers in a time when things like this are hard to ignore? Who knows.

Anyways this domain is so toxic and monkey minded it would be wise to steer clear and leave it separate from the domain of spirituality and trying to live a good life, especially during these times when it serves as such an easy and deep distraction.

Now he'll probably come in here and predictably say, "oh but it's very applicable to personal development, you are apart of a community you have an obligation to yada yada yada............."

True, but that doesn't make my point any less true either. Politics are about the collective, we are here as individuals doing personal development. We are here to better ourselves to serve as beacons of light in the world.

If I want to read or hear about fucking politics I can go to one of the other 10 million channels that exist. I have higher expectations for this place and I'm sure others do to.

You speak from big assumptions, such as that you are not really a social being, and that you can pursue "personal development" disconnected from the social world, "politics", i.e. the rest of the world. That is, that you are an island unto yourself, and you can become so wonderfully great -- all by your lonesome, laboring diligently without any of those messy other people -- that you can "serve as a beacon of light in the world". Well, maybe you are right. If so, then hold forth. Demonstrate, compellingly, your beacon-hood. We'll wait.

As for those "10 million channels" that deal with "fucking politics", surely you are aware that there are 10 million self-help/personal-development channels that NEVER deal with politics and that imagine -- just as do you -- everyone to be islands unto themselves, pursuing personal development without reference or connection to social or other context.  Maybe one of those places would be more suitable for you.

13 minutes ago, Opo said:

U can envision a lot of stuff, what matters is how it functions in the real world. 

Distant social goals cannot, by definition, "function in the real world" of today. Anarcho-communism is a distant ideal that will be many decades in the making, if it happens at all. Meanwhile, vision -- envisioning -- is important. Without a vision, the people perish. Which is one of the things that is happening right now in the U.S.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:32 AM, Apparition of Jack said:

@Roy Hard to do personal development when you’re in jail for dissent or are stuck in cyclical poverty because crucial social services are unfunded. 

Ah, but MIND OVER MATTER. LAW OF ATTRACTION. You wouldn't be in jail or poverty if it weren't for your STINKIN' THINKIN'! 

lol

On 8/8/2020 at 3:34 AM, Roy said:

What's your point? What do you want everyone to do, become political advocates?

Yes.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, Heart of Space said:

The problem with your thinking, and green thinking in general, is that it looks at everything as a result of a greater context. 

Is that a "problem", or a strength?

48 minutes ago, alan2102 said:

Is that a "problem", or a strength?

It's a problem if that's the only perspective you look through, it's a strength in that it's a unique perspective that allows you to understand the greater context to something.  

32 minutes ago, Heart of Space said:

It's a problem if that's the only perspective you look through, it's a strength in that it's a unique perspective that allows you to understand the greater context to something.  

My point was: Why state right off the bat, thus emphasizing, the problematic possibilities? Of course, anything can be done to excess. That goes without saying.

I want to give a lecture about vegetables and exercise, emphasizing the glaring fact that we all need a lot more of both, hence I will not BEGIN my speech with a warning about the harm of excessive vegetable fiber and the risk of overtraining injury, and perhaps I will not mention them at all, since for most listeners unnecessary.

I am sensitive to this point wrt green, because of having read far too much creepy and  destructive (IMO) green-bashing from Wilber and friends.  Green is the vMeme that could have, and might yet, save the world from catastrophe, and it needs to be presented in a light opposite to the toxic one that the SD intellectuals have settled on (such as referring to its greatest strengths as "problems").

None of us, to my knowledge, are cops. If you're a cop in a country like America and so many people have guns and there's so much gun violence, I can only imagine you're fearing for your life very often as a cop. 

It's easy for us all to sit there and judge.

Tell me what level of spiral dynamics my comment is? I'm dying to hear this.

Edited by ZenAlex

This is a 2-year old thread guys. Please start a new one if you would like to discuss this topic further. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus