Rasheed

I don’t understand, why Self-Actualization is in different category than Self-Transce

12 posts in this topic

I don’t understand, why in Maslow’s hierarchy Self-Actualization is in different category than Self-Transcendence.

I think, they should be one. Self-Transcendence should be a part of self actualization, or vice versa; or there should be third thing, which contains both of them.

What you guys think?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Self-actualization is becoming your highest potential (there is still ego)

Self-transcendence is transcendence of the self, the death of ego, enlightenment, realization of yourself as infinity in my understanding

It's basically a semantic distinction.

If self actualisation is level 5, then self transcendence is levels 6 and above, but really they both go together as separate from the lower levels.

(I generally consider the first 4 stages ego consciousness, and the next 4 stages Self consciousness. I'm thinking of calling the next 4 levels mystical consciousness. Just as self transcendence would then come under self consciousness, we could consider belonging and esteem to be ego transcendent, despite not being actualised yet)

Edited by Artsu

It's an important distinction because self-transcendence is a whole new domain, beyond the material, into the mystical.

Self-trascendence is leaving the entire pyramid into the stratosphere.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course!!!!

It's just 'words'. If you are truly actualized,  you won't care which is level 5 or which is level 6. Everything just is.

2 minutes ago, hyruga said:

It's just 'words'. If you are truly actualized,  you won't care which is level 5 or which is level 6. Everything just is.

I disagree. These distinctions are useful at least until level 8.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

It's an important distinction because self-transcendence is a whole new domain, beyond the material, into the mystical.

There's another way to define it. You can say that self transcendence is transcendence of the Self with reference to the Self, whereas mystical consciousness does away even with the Self (through something like a realisation of oneness).

Or, self transcendence could refer to the entire thing beyond self actualisation.

There can be no such thing as transcendence if there's no longer anything to transcend. I think they need to be understood both as separate yet ultimately one and the same. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Rasheed Self actualisation is a lot of stuff like productivity, routine, conscientiousness, health and life purpose.

The nice thing about the self-actualisation sub forum and self-actualisation in general is that you're less likely to get in worthless arguments and bickerings with people. With consciousness work, people can argue to no end about things. I'm not saying that arguing is bad, I have no problem with it, it's just not productive sometimes. And there's a certain sense where with consciousness work you feel its best to just shut mouth and do practices/contemplation. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao actualising is more like transcending categories by unifying opposites, such as "productivity while doing nothing".

i find that my esteem category fits what you listed though

Leo chose to separate them as well.Maybe is the understanding that even though u realized the truth u still have to live in a human body. And for that u have to learn how to survive.