andyjohnsonman

What are the best things you've learnt to help you in your life from actualized.org?

8 posts in this topic

Mine would be - mindfulness in daily life of victim mentality and judging others, contemplation, radical open mindedness (enjoying seeing the world from multiple perspectives) spiral dynamics and kriya yoga.

The video about "should" statements. I remember listening to this in my car on the way back from my girlfriends last year on an empty Canadian highway. It was like 32 C out and I had no AC so I was feeling an elevated kind of peak sober. I was hyper focused and everything explained in the video made perfect mind blowing sense. It's had the largest impact and applicability in my life of any content I've acquired from here. For my individual internal life, and for the external macro world as well.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

Mine would be to take 100% responsibility for my life.

5 minutes ago, Roy said:

The video about "should" statements. I remember listening to this in my car on the way back from my girlfriends last year on an empty Canadian highway. It was like 32 C out and I had no AC so I was feeling an elevated kind of peak sober. I was hyper focused and everything explained in the video made perfect mind blowing sense. It's had the largest impact and applicability in my life of any content I've acquired from here. For my individual internal life, and for the external macro world as well.

Yea I remember that being good. I remember getting triggered when my friend told me what I SHOULD do tho. That was a downside of it in my early development.

Open-mindedness was the major one for me. I've continuously become more aware of the ways I've judged myself and others for it in the past as being flawed, stupid or dangerous. 

At the start I really loved and watched his "How to Stop being a Workaholic" video a few times because that was a huge challenge for me. It took a lot more growth in other areas to really move beyond that. 

Later I resonated a lot more with teachings like Eckhart Tolle's and stopped considering Leo's advice of much spiritual value. Over time it became evident to me that Leo's more explicitly stated knowledge about spirituality had been of enormous benefit to me during that time when I was reacting quite badly to it, but followed other spiritual teachers around like a puppy. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I always thought that people with a victim mentality needed to "get over themselves" and take some responsibility for their actions. Until I was listening to one of Leo's videos - probably the Reponsibility vs Blame one. Then I realised I'd been blaming everyone except myself for all my troubles. The irony hit hard. It has made me more humble, compassionate and to man-up to be responsible for myself.

All stories and explanations are false.

So far for me it was the spiral dynamics series. After a rather long process of listening to the videos, reading and contemplating the concepts, I was able to identify certain stages in myself, my family and most importantly the company I work for.

Since then I understand specific behaviours of my coworkers and am not surprised anymore when they act like they use to do. This helps a lot with anxiety.