PukkaDanks

6 Years of Daily Meditation - My Thoughts

57 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura

But when people cite meditation as life transforming, they are usually saying in the western mindset of 20-60 mins a day.

In the video I do address that you need to set, especially your spiritual expectations very low. I say do you really think 20 minutes of meditation a day is going to offset the hours distraction / multi tasking / non awareness that is so prevalent in modern life.

For the average joe working in middle management spending 3 hours a day on emails, meditation will have much more limited spiritual use than monks etc.

I've found far more spiritual 'success' through holotropic breathwork, and of course the shrooms

7 minutes ago, PukkaDanks said:

Thanks for the opinions guys, I may as well try the hour, because I don't have much to lose

Or try consistently doing it for 30mins for a period of time...then 45mins etc perhaps, might make doing hourly sessions more sustainable once you've steadily made your way up 

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

7 minutes ago, PukkaDanks said:

@Leo Gura

But when people cite meditation as life transforming, they are usually saying in the western mindset of 20-60 mins a day.

Well... people's notion of life-transforming is of course highly subjective.

Those who are well-suited to it will get a lot more juice out of it. Exponentially more. Like 100x more. So that can explain that.

Personally I'm not well-suited to it. My mind is hyper creative non-stop.

Meditation is best for people with weak minds :P

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Well... people's notion of life-transforming is of course highly subjective.

Those who are well-suited to it will get a lot more juice out of it. Exponentially more. Like 100x more. So that can explain that.

@Leo Gura What traits in your opinion comes under the category of a weak mind ? A mind which is constantly filled with thoughts? A mind which is dull and has no interest in anything? A mind which cannot handle strong emotions? Or something else?

2 hours ago, PukkaDanks said:

Hey all,

Roughly 6 years ago I watched Leo's no bullshit guide to meditation. I thought the video was incredible and from that point on I've meditated every day for at least 20 minutes, as well as doing a few retreats for 3-7 days.

I made a video to share my experiences as - as I think currently the benefits of mediation have become a bit overblown, it's a power tool sure, but is it life transforming? Perhaps not. 

I argue that one of the greatest benefits of meditation is it actually lends itself really well to habit stacking. Once I implemented a meditation habit, I found it way easier to start building other positive habits on top of it.

I'd really love to hear your thoughts on whether your journeys have been comparable to mine, I feel like mediation must affect different people in such massively different ways!

Thanks,

Tom

One problem with identifying the benefits of meditation is that the good things happen so slowly but steadily, that they become invisible and hence not 'life transforming', atleast to us. You can try asking people around you whether they notice any change in you or not, especially those with whom you haven't interacted in the recent years.

9 minutes ago, An young being said:

@Leo Gura What traits in your opinion comes under the category of a weak mind ? A mind which is constantly filled with thoughts? A mind which is dull and has no interest in anything? A mind which cannot handle strong emotions? Or something else?

An intellectually empty mind. A mind that doesn't feel a need to think.

Lots of people go through life without thinking much about anything. They are like animals.

It's real easy for a cat to meditate.

Thinking is both a blessing and a curse.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Do you write down ideas quickly when you're supposed to meditating sometimes? 

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

2 minutes ago, Moon said:

Do you write down ideas quickly when you're supposed to meditating sometimes? 

No

You definitely need to get past that to meditate seriously.

If you love your own thoughts, you won't be able to meditate.

37 minutes ago, dimitri said:

Take a piece of paper, draw the vertical line, on one side write what you DON'T WANT, then reverse it to what you WANT, throw the paper away and put WHAT YOU WANT on the dream board.

You mean a vision board right? Or is a dream board something different.

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

3 minutes ago, Shiva99 said:

You mean a vision board right? Or is a dream board something different.

Vision board is something else.
Read this, that's one of the most life changing threads in the forum :D 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

As an aside, anyone who watched the video do you have any feedback

I am trying to work on my communication and feel my voice and general energy is quite boring and monotone

40 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

So a few years back, when you meditated, did you have a weak mind? :P 

1 minute ago, JosephKnecht said:

So a few years back, when you meditated, did you have a weak mind? :P

I still meditate. It's just like ice skating uphill.

17 minutes ago, PukkaDanks said:

I am trying to work on my communication and feel my voice and general energy is quite boring and monotone

It was well edited. I liked the "Table of Content" you provided in the beginning so we know what content was coming later in the video. 

The voice was appropriate, and I guess the energy level also since you are talking about meditation. 

I would have liked to know more about which books, literature, learning methods you used to start your meditation journey. Sometimes it is nice to do a good "literature study" before you embark on a long journey that would last for years. 

Also, you briefly mentioned the non-dual state you have achieved through meditation. I would be curious to understand more about that. 

Just my two cents. :) 

Edited by JosephKnecht
typo

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I still meditate. It's just like ice skating uphill.

So you still have a weak mind? ¬¬

I never tried ice-skating uphill. I am pretty bad at ice skating on a flat surface. Need more improvement. 

9 minutes ago, JosephKnecht said:

So you still have a weak mind?

You got it backwards.

@JosephKnecht

Thanks Joseph, awakened experiences is something it's difficult to 'touch on' without it having its own video but I get your point

I would have liked to know more about which books, literature, learning methods you used to start your meditation journey. Sometimes it is nice to do a good "literature study" before you embark on a long journey that would last for years.  <- This is great advice - thanks!

27 minutes ago, PukkaDanks said:

You have a nice clear speaking voice but yeah you'd sound even better with a bit more enthusiasm 

Try to get your hand gestures in frame so it adds more expression

Roger Love and Vanessa Van Edwards are good sources of help with communication skills

@JosephKnecht

Leo just a human being as anyone else in this forum.
So, of course he has his own beliefs to let go.
He just super open minded and has immense desire for the Truth.
In other words, he is brave enough to lose everything for nothing.
So grateful to imagine this guy Lol  

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x