Beginner Mind

Being Aware of Being Aware: Coming to the End of the Spiritual Search

55 posts in this topic

All this striving, all this struggle, all this suffering...  It's totally needless!  The truth of your being is right under your nose and has been all along.

Simply be aware of being aware (as taught by Rupert Spira).

Ask yourself the question, "Am I aware?" and then simply rest in the experience of being aware.  It's so simple! 

So many books, so many teachers, so much searching... Meanwhile, the peace we've been seeking was within us all along.  No need for meditation, no need for psychedelics (nothing wrong with them--but completely unnecessary).  Simply notice that you are aware, and rest in that experience.

You're welcome. ;)

Can you be aware of being aware when thoughts of fear arise when you are jobless in the top of a mountain with no savings left in your account?

Is enlightenment an on off switch though?There are various degrees/ranges to consciousness.  It is more like a dail I think. 

In Tate we trust

2 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

Can you be aware of being aware when thoughts of fear arise when you are jobless in the top of a mountain with no savings left in your account?

You come aware that you are hungry. 

In Tate we trust

4 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

Are you in this situation?  If so, I'm very sorry to hear that.  Having said that, I would say it's possible to be aware of being aware no matter what your life circumstances are.

6 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Is enlightenment an on off switch though?There are various degrees/ranges to consciousness.  It is more like a dail I think. 

For me, the term 'enlightenment' is a bit of a misnomer, advertising something grand or eventful.  But being aware of being aware is extremely simple and subtle.  In my experience, there is no 'dial'.  You are either aware of your true being, or you aren't.

12 minutes ago, Beginner Mind said:

Are you in this situation?  If so, I'm very sorry to hear that.  Having said that, I would say it's possible to be aware of being aware no matter what your life circumstances are.

No, I just like to think sometimes if that happens to me if I would be able to remain conscious of my true nature. Makes me think for me my true nature is still a belief, not an actuality.

But thanks ?

Yes, that is Spira's definition of enlightenment, but he also say that after that there is an integration that needs to happen. The seeking will continue until this integration is finished, because the ego is still alive and it's nature is to seek.

19 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Yes, that is Spira's definition of enlightenment, but he also say that after that there is an integration that needs to happen. The seeking will continue until this integration is finished, because the ego is still alive and it's nature is to seek.

Yes and according to Rupert, this integration process never stops.  I'm not sure I agree, but that's what he says.

What is a true nature?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

11 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

What is a true nature?

I assume this was intended for @Javfly33 but what the hell: Our true nature is our Self.  That which we generally overlook in favor of identifying with a body and mind.

Lol, it's so funny how people take anything seriously or strive for anything when they are literally marching to their doom, hello u realize you gonna die one day right?

All one's achievements, enlightenment, tastes, etc, all into termination, as if it never existed. 

People say, but "Hey, I realized I am God after my engligtement", God? Well, you are a pretty weak God than my friend, if you can't even stop the aging of your body. You cant change the color of your mole on the cheek, yet you really bought into the idea that you are creating and sustaining whole reality?

Edited by WHO IS

1 minute ago, WHO IS said:

Lol, it's so funny how people take anything seriously or strive for anything when they are literally marching to their doom, hello u realize you gonna die one day right?

All one's achievements, enlistments, tastes, etc, all into termination, as if it never existed. 

Yes, but while you are alive, doesn't it make sense to live as peacefully and happily as you can?  You might as well make this short-lived roller coaster ride as comfortable as you possibly can.

5 minutes ago, Beginner Mind said:

Yes, but while you are alive, doesn't it make sense to live as peacefully and happily as you can?  You might as well make this short-lived roller coaster ride as comfortable as you possibly can.

Yes, of course, Bro, that's only logical to make this ride as smooth as it is in ones ability. At least You are honest. 

However, some people delude themselves to such an extent that they start to believe they are God almighty and yet cant change even the minuscule things in their lives which bring them pain. Then they start making excuses that even though these painful things exist, it is designed by their higher self, so now they are at least understanding that they don't have total control over reality and that there is someone(s) higher that has control. 

And than there is a conflict of interests, because let's be honest if someone had 100% control over reality, who da heck would include painful elements into one's existence? 

Edited by WHO IS

2 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@Beginner Mind What are mind and body made of?

Of that which is No-Thing. That which is total opposite to Every-Thing. Every-thing has a beginning and an end, but because it is No-Thing, it is void of such limitations.

Edited by WHO IS

Just now, WHO IS said:

Of that which is No-Thing. That which is total opposite to Every-Thing. 

Are body and mind not true nature? What is not true nature?

unborn Truth

4 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@Beginner Mind What are mind and body made of?

The body and mind have a lifespan.  You do not.

1 minute ago, Beginner Mind said:

The body and mind have a lifespan.  You do not.

What are body and mind made of? Am I something separated?

unborn Truth

@Beginner Mind I wish that would be that simple. You are aware of being aware and boom....you got enlightened. :D

I am aware of being aware for a long time, not constantly 24/7, but very often, probably 70% of my day.

Does it make me enlightened person? Of course not.

To be truly enlightened you need to learn how to let go. You basically have to let go your whole personality.This is a must! By simply of being aware will not get you that far if you still buying into drama that ego feeds you. 

Edited by Galyna

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"