DivineSoda

Martial law is coming

28 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, DivineSoda said:

This is consciousness waking up to itself.

That is all that's ever happening. There's no other game in town.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That is all that's ever happening. There's no other game in town.

? Amen.

@Derek White it does mean a lot. For USA standards what is happening now is radical. Comparing today’s USA situation with an already violent and anarchistic country and concluding its normal is irrelevant

@Alfonsoo You can compare it to things in US history.

Things are going to change. But it's not going to be the end of USA as we know it.

It really depend on perspective.

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

19 minutes ago, Derek White said:

@Alfonsoo You can compare it to things in US history.

Things are going to change. But it's not going to be the end of USA as we know it.

It really depend on perspective.

It wont end... I will morph into something new and more exciting... This is how it is happening. :P

Dont look at me! Look inside!

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/29/21274462/george-floyd-protests-minnesota-national-guard

excerpt:

Here’s what the National Guard can and can’t do during the George Floyd uprising

Minnesota’s governor activated the state’s National Guard to “help provide security and restore safety.”

By Alex Ward

What the Minnesota National Guard isn’t doing, at least not yet

You might have heard of “posse comitatus,” a longstanding law that bars the US military from being used to enforce domestic law in the country in most cases.

That law doesn’t apply to the National Guard when it’s operating under state authority, or if the president calls on it under federal authority to do things like quelling an unlawful domestic insurrection. Which means that National Guard troops can actually carry out domestic law enforcement operations, including arresting people.

But, experts note, that’s not likely to happen unless there’s a massive breakdown in societal order. “It’s politically not desirable, so governors don’t want to do that kind of thing,” Lindsay Cohn, a Naval War College expert on the National Guard, told me in March about the Guard’s general guidelines. And Walz didn’t explicitly authorize the Guard to arrest citizens in this case.

Which is why Hawks, the Minnesota National Guard spokesperson, told me that, as of now, members have “no arrest authority.” However, the 500 activated members are working under the direct supervision of the Minnesota State Patrol. It’s therefore possible that a State Patrol commander could ask a Guard member to arrest somebody down the line if authorized by the governor.

Even if National Guard members were assisting with arrests, it’d be a far cry from the institution of martial law. “Martial law is when civilian authority is incapacitated and cannot function,” Cohn told me in March, and a military officer is in control of the three functions of government (legislative, executive, and judicial).

Minnesota sending the National Guard into the Twin Cities, then, is a sign that the situation has gotten a little out of hand for local law enforcement. It doesn’t mean the US military is swooping in to subjugate the people.

The question now will be if the Guard can do its job professionally and safely while respecting the protesters’ rights. That, more than anything, may be the hardest part of the whole deployment.

8 hours ago, Nak Khid said:

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/29/21274462/george-floyd-protests-minnesota-national-guard

excerpt:

Here’s what the National Guard can and can’t do during the George Floyd uprising

Minnesota’s governor activated the state’s National Guard to “help provide security and restore safety.”

By Alex Ward

What the Minnesota National Guard isn’t doing, at least not yet

You might have heard of “posse comitatus,” a longstanding law that bars the US military from being used to enforce domestic law in the country in most cases.

That law doesn’t apply to the National Guard when it’s operating under state authority, or if the president calls on it under federal authority to do things like quelling an unlawful domestic insurrection. Which means that National Guard troops can actually carry out domestic law enforcement operations, including arresting people.

But, experts note, that’s not likely to happen unless there’s a massive breakdown in societal order. “It’s politically not desirable, so governors don’t want to do that kind of thing,” Lindsay Cohn, a Naval War College expert on the National Guard, told me in March about the Guard’s general guidelines. And Walz didn’t explicitly authorize the Guard to arrest citizens in this case.

Which is why Hawks, the Minnesota National Guard spokesperson, told me that, as of now, members have “no arrest authority.” However, the 500 activated members are working under the direct supervision of the Minnesota State Patrol. It’s therefore possible that a State Patrol commander could ask a Guard member to arrest somebody down the line if authorized by the governor.

Even if National Guard members were assisting with arrests, it’d be a far cry from the institution of martial law. “Martial law is when civilian authority is incapacitated and cannot function,” Cohn told me in March, and a military officer is in control of the three functions of government (legislative, executive, and judicial).

Minnesota sending the National Guard into the Twin Cities, then, is a sign that the situation has gotten a little out of hand for local law enforcement. It doesn’t mean the US military is swooping in to subjugate the people.

The question now will be if the Guard can do its job professionally and safely while respecting the protesters’ rights. That, more than anything, may be the hardest part of the whole deployment.

Thanks for the Vox article. Interesting though, it was written before Trump's nation wide announcement: 

I'm not here to fight or argue with anyone. Truth is resonance. It's okay to admit things are bad. Worse than bad. 

We don't have to take sides on everything. Can we not all agree that things are messed up right now? And divine? And everything else? All at once?  

Edited by DivineSoda