Onemanwolfpac

Intermittent fasting

31 posts in this topic

I am unsure if anybody has tried intermittent fasting. I started it before Pandemic. It is unreal. 

I have tried a series of diets. NOTHING has been as effective as intermittent fasting. I highly recommend it. I do a 16:8 window. 16 hour fast. 8 hour eating window. I bodybuild too. Unfortunately, the gym is closed now so, i am following fitness faq the YouTuber and I am training gymnastics. 

I may post a pic at some point. I am really lean, toned, and muscular. I have a solid six pack atm. No flex. When I wake up in the morning, the vasculature and definition is ridiculous. I seriously look like a cartoon character super hero or something. 

So, this is not a case of the Internet Ebrag. For anybody else looking to mix it up, give intermittent fasting a go. Fasting GUARANTEED calorie deficit. ATM, i am on two meals during my Fast window. I want my eight pack this summer so, i am moving toward a OMAD (one meal a day) in my 8 hour eating window. I also add in periodic full day fasts. 

Give it a go guys for anybody interested. I can't say enough good things about it. My sleep is better likely due to insulin regulation. I have vivid dreams and lucid dreams. I feel great. 

I've been doing one meal a day for the past week and I've been losing at least 1 lb per day. I'm far from lean and toned, technically obese, so the weight is probably coming off me faster than most.

I feel better energy level, also less inflammation when I wake up in the morning.

It is really a test of your willpower though, especially combining it with low calories. The first couple of days, it basically took all my willpower to just suffer through the hunger and not allow myself to eat. But your body adapts and it gets easier.

3 hours ago, Yarco said:

I've been doing one meal a day for the past week and I've been losing at least 1 lb per day. I'm far from lean and toned, technically obese, so the weight is probably coming off me faster than most.

I feel better energy level, also less inflammation when I wake up in the morning.

It is really a test of your willpower though, especially combining it with low calories. The first couple of days, it basically took all my willpower to just suffer through the hunger and not allow myself to eat. But your body adapts and it gets easier.

Yeah. I have noticed that. Fasting is harder to get in with especially the cravings. The fact that I fast, I am forced to sleep earlier and wake up early. I am meditating and having super vivid dreams. Some of which are weird. I am sleeping far better now and looking aesthetic. 

Why omad? 

I've tried fasting in the past and while I can say that yes, results are indeed fast and visible, these are not long-term results. At one point, you stop losing weight cause your body gets accustomed to the routine. There's the issue of the strain you put on your health too, don't imagine that there are no repercussions on your health. You might not feel anything at the moment, but in time, your stomach is likely the first to suffer. What I find most effective is a somewhat proper diet, eating 3 times per day with 2 healthy snacks in between, and drinking water like there's no tomorrow. In this period of the year, for example, I eat a rather consistent breakfast (milk with cereals, but a lot of it, and a banana), between breakfast and lunch I eat whatever fruit my heart desires as a snack cause I'm mad over fruits, for lunch, I eat a bowl of soup and I usually try to sneak in a granola bar too, then I have 1-2 snacks over the day that consist of fruits, and for dinner, I try to eat fish instead of meat, and veggie-based meals. If I fall asleep at late hours and get hungry again, I eat fruit, but this isn't recommended because of the sugar levels in them. But I still do it cause I like spoiling myself this way. And I've switched to alkaline water for a few months now, can't vouch for it but I read that it's better hydrating than normal water and I thought I should give it a go. I feel better overall, can't say that it's because of the water as I made so many changes to my diet, all positive changes, that I'm sure they all collaborated. I'll leave you with some useful links and resources, have a good day.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/fasting#:~:text=But fasting for long periods,able to tolerate cold temperatures.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/not-so-fast-pros-and-cons-of-the-newest-diet-trend

https://www.optimainstitute.com/water/alkaline-water-ionizer.html

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-five-meal-plan-health-fitness#1

@Fathime I can relate. I've been doing intermittent fasting for awhile now and I've been getting a lot of stomach pains recently. I'm not too sure if I should keep going...

9 hours ago, Fathime said:

I've tried fasting in the past and while I can say that yes, results are indeed fast and visible, these are not long-term results. At one point, you stop losing weight cause your body gets accustomed to the routine. There's the issue of the strain you put on your health too, don't imagine that there are no repercussions on your health. You might not feel anything at the moment, but in time, your stomach is likely the first to suffer. What I find most effective is a somewhat proper diet, eating 3 times per day with 2 healthy snacks in between, and drinking water like there's no tomorrow. In this period of the year, for example, I eat a rather consistent breakfast (milk with cereals, but a lot of it, and a banana), between breakfast and lunch I eat whatever fruit my heart desires as a snack cause I'm mad over fruits, for lunch, I eat a bowl of soup and I usually try to sneak in a granola bar too, then I have 1-2 snacks over the day that consist of fruits, and for dinner, I try to eat fish instead of meat, and veggie-based meals. If I fall asleep at late hours and get hungry again, I eat fruit, but this isn't recommended because of the sugar levels in them. But I still do it cause I like spoiling myself this way. And I've switched to alkaline water for a few months now, can't vouch for it but I read that it's better hydrating than normal water and I thought I should give it a go. I feel better overall, can't say that it's because of the water as I made so many changes to my diet, all positive changes, that I'm sure they all collaborated. I'll leave you with some useful links and resources, have a good day.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/fasting#:~:text=But fasting for long periods,able to tolerate cold temperatures.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/not-so-fast-pros-and-cons-of-the-newest-diet-trend

https://www.optimainstitute.com/water/alkaline-water-ionizer.html

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-five-meal-plan-health-fitness#1

Thanks for the links. 

Homeostasis will kick in. I am intending to do OMAD for the summer. Incremental day fasts. The longest time I did waa 20 hours and it killed my workout. I wasn't putting up PRs. No records broken. 

30 minutes ago, karltiboleng said:

@Fathime I can relate. I've been doing intermittent fasting for awhile now and I've been getting a lot of stomach pains recently. I'm not too sure if I should keep going...

Whats your routine? Mines 16:8. I have upset stomach if i have matcha or black coffee for the first thing in the morning. Yours could be cramps or unrelated. Mines reflux. A green tea and black coffee is acidic. I like my six pack. I want my eight pack for the summer. 

On 5/30/2020 at 2:56 AM, Onemanwolfpac said:

Why omad? 

I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy. If I try to eat in moderation I'm super likely to fall off the wagon and just start snacking and eating way too much. I don't have the willpower for portion control, but I can just stop myself from eating entirely with less of an internal battle.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:34 AM, Fathime said:

At one point, you stop losing weight cause your body gets accustomed to the routine. There's the issue of the strain you put on your health too, don't imagine that there are no repercussions on your health.

I've been using what I think is called the "zig zag diet" to try and keep my body from getting accustomed to it. I'll eat a very low amount of calories like 1,000 for two or three days. Then I'll have a day of 2,500 - 3,000 calories where I eat pizza or something. Plus I'm taking a multivitamin to make sure I'm not deficient in anything... although on my low-calorie days I'm mostly eating rice, moong dal, and lots of veggies.

So I hope this will offset some of the health issues. Even if it's going to hurt my health in the short-term to fast, I think it's better to fast and get to 180 lbs than stay at 240 lbs and develop diabetes and high blood pressure within the next few years.

On 6/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, Onemanwolfpac said:

I have upset stomach if i have matcha or black coffee for the first thing in the morning. Yours could be cramps or unrelated. Mines reflux. A green tea and black coffee is acidic.

In Ayurveda there are three doshas, or body types. It sounds like you have the same one as me, pitta. Which is prone to acid reflux, always being hot, etc. You  might want to check out this meal plan of what foods to eat and avoid and consider it, and do some research into pitta dosha and see if it applies to you.

https://ayurvedichealthcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/AHCWS-Food-Brochure-Pitta.pdf

On 03/06/2020 at 11:06 AM, Yarco said:

I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy. If I try to eat in moderation I'm super likely to fall off the wagon and just start snacking and eating way too much. I don't have the willpower for portion control, but I can just stop myself from eating entirely with less of an internal battle.

I've been using what I think is called the "zig zag diet" to try and keep my body from getting accustomed to it. I'll eat a very low amount of calories like 1,000 for two or three days. Then I'll have a day of 2,500 - 3,000 calories where I eat pizza or something. Plus I'm taking a multivitamin to make sure I'm not deficient in anything... although on my low-calorie days I'm mostly eating rice, moong dal, and lots of veggies.

So I hope this will offset some of the health issues. Even if it's going to hurt my health in the short-term to fast, I think it's better to fast and get to 180 lbs than stay at 240 lbs and develop diabetes and high blood pressure within the next few years.

In Ayurveda there are three doshas, or body types. It sounds like you have the same one as me, pitta. Which is prone to acid reflux, always being hot, etc. You  might want to check out this meal plan of what foods to eat and avoid and consider it, and do some research into pitta dosha and see if it applies to you.

https://ayurvedichealthcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/AHCWS-Food-Brochure-Pitta.pdf

Same. I am all are nothing fella too. I told my playboy mate, at gun point, I won't break my fast. 

Holy. You weigh 240? How tall are you? On multiple cycles of gear, i couldn't reach that weight. I am 6ft. 200lbs. I have a ectomorph body type atm. I have altered my state. I use to be skeleton skinny. Years of sports, eating and lifting gained me size. Now, I have been fasting. I have a spiritual journey and a purpose in life. Having optimised mind, body, and spirit, things are in alignment. Its still a bitch and a struggle. Such is life. 

Thanks man. It sounds like we do. I have doubled down on my process and spiritual practice. Sleep is huge focus for me. 

@Fathime

You can't do intermittent fasting if you consume a lot of carbohydrates because it causes raise of insulin and you are unable to burn fat. High insuline levels also create food cravings. My stomach is very happy with IF. When I eat "normally" stomach is never empty and I feel had. Using Berberine or Metformin helps to lower insuline and stay in fast mode.

Drinking too much be water also isn't a good idea. You are losing vitamins this way.

12 hours ago, Username said:

@Fathime

You can't do intermittent fasting if you consume a lot of carbohydrates because it causes raise of insulin and you are unable to burn fat. High insuline levels also create food cravings. My stomach is very happy with IF. When I eat "normally" stomach is never empty and I feel had. Using Berberine or Metformin helps to lower insuline and stay in fast mode.

Drinking too much be water also isn't a good idea. You are losing vitamins this way.

Ya. Intermittent Fasting regulated my insulin. I have lucid dreams and I remember them. Its been superb especially during pandemic. I have contemplated a selfie but I forgot a before pic. My ego needs no boost atm. I will just say, intermittent fasting works, is super aesthetic, and the attention has been coming in hot during pandemic. I am curious how OMAD goes for summer. I want my 8pack back. My 6 came in from fasting. I love it. 

Been doing it for 3 months now. It's great, convenient, lost some weight. However, it doesn't grant me superpowers, incredible mental clarity and all that jazz.

On 17/06/2020 at 10:05 AM, Username said:

Using Berberine or Metformin helps to lower insuline and stay in fast mode.

Isn't metformin only on prescription for people with type 2 Diabetes? I don't think taking it as a supplement is a smart thing to do. It is accumulating in your cells and messes up with mitochondrial energy production. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Berberine is not, but it's basically same thing ;] There has been made a lot of research about Metformin/Berberine. Metformin is one of the most popular anti-aging medication. It works and it is considered to be safe.

@Username Berberine is fine but not sure I'd rely on a pharmaceutical drug for longevity. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Metformin has been used for about 60 years. There is a lot of research on it. Berberine is natural but there is less research on it. There is always a risk and some sideffect. When you take them you are working on ECO mode. The sideffect is losing some muscles.

For majority of people both of them should be very beneficial, because nearly everyone is eating too much carbohydrates.

@Username if something has known side effects, and Metformin has a LOT, why would you decide to eat that in the first place. Drugs.com list nearly 300 potential interactions including other drugs, foods and supplements. Metformin basically blocks natural processes that are designed to produce energy in the cell. Most diabetics end up with neuropathy and severe atherosclerosis at some point which suggests that these interventions fail in the long term. 

With so much pseudoscience and nonsense in the world of nutrition, more and more people are afraid of food and try to cram they're eating windows to as little slots as possible. So rather we are reaching out for toxic drugs and supplements. 

But hey, to each what makes them more happy, we just need to stop listening to people who clearly have an agenda. No pharma company will profit from people eating vegetables. 

@Michael569 Facts as per usual. 

Many supplements are very beneficial, but always follow the $$$ and look at the agenda behind them, is it coming from a place of personal success and sharing that, a genuine desire to help people, or is it simply to sell something. 

Im not saying there’s anything wrong with selling something and making money in this field, I’m just saying is this the only aim and are they skewing research etc to do this. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

15 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Many supplements are very beneficial, but always follow the $$$ and look at the agenda behind them, is it coming from a place of personal success and sharing that, a genuine desire to help people, or is it simply to sell something. 

Agree, lots of good stuff out there. And some new supplements are absolutely amazing and work beautifully but nothing should be used forever. You take a supplement to like quercetin or curcumin to correct something and then carry on with eating normal food. Everything that is to be used indefinitely (with the exception of rare genetic conditions or mutations) is selling people short 

Yep, I just choose a time when I will first eat, and 8 hours later when I will not eat afterwards, fast the other 16 hours and stick to it every day (allowing for one day a week when I have an online event that runs later and I can't eat during). Seems absurdly simple but powerful, it's a new habit for me, but quality of life noticeably improved already, and the discipline is starting to carry over into other areas of life.