Amit

Leo vs Sam Haris

75 posts in this topic

In his latest video, Leo talks about making finer distinctions between things of the same nature. Applying that idea to sam harris, I got to know his views make very finer distinctions between the fundamental nature of everything including science and religions. About spirituality Sam says "nothing irrational about seeking the states of mind that lie at the core of many religions. Compassion, awe, devotion, and feelings of oneness are surely among the most valuable experiences a person can have." He also makes very fine distinctions about Science and morality, Free will, and AI. While doing so he puts rationality as the main axiom similar to Immanuel Kant. 

Now, on the other hand, Leo says that objective truth just doesn't exist. He covers everything into the blanket of infinity and doesn't make any efforts to analyze and make finer distinctions but tries to find mostly the unifying theme when it comes to religions and philosophy, which he is an expert on. He also rejects Sam for having rationality above everything. I still don't get his critical viewpoint on Sam harris. Leo, Assuming you have done your research on him, will you care to elaborate? 

Leo has transcended the likes of Sam Harris. 

Sam Harris is more or less like a rationalist. A rationalist is like a watered down version of a fundamentalist who is palatable to the crowds. 

Sam Harris cannot be trusted for getting views on morality. His thought experiments are shady. 

And his views on religion keep swinging like a pendulum. He says controversial things to outdo others and then backpedals when the western media finds it too right wing for their taste. 

Research a bit more on Sam Harris and you will realize that it's all just a way of preying on people's feeble minds. He got a lot of fan boys for sure. 

Sam Harris is a part of controlled opposition. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Ironically, the more you train your mind to unify and to see the similarities between things, the more fine-grained distinctions you are capable of making.  

Sam Harris is not awake.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

All the evidence you need is in Sam's trip report of his recent mushroom trip. His analysis of psychedelics is comparable to a teenager's analysis of weed.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

2 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

People like Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens need to exist, or we'd all be stuck in blue.

Exactly.  If you look at his subreddit, the majority of his followers there actually disagree with his Neo-Liberal political agenda but value the rationality of his arguments against say Trump when speaking with members of the so-called "intellectual dark web (they are almost univerally Trump apologists)." 

He is limited in many ways but serves to sway those who would otherwise be swallowing the likes of Dave Rubin or Jordan Peterson wholesale on matters of Trumpism and religion.

Personally, I have big issues with his blaming "the left" for a few noisy college students "shutting down free speech" but appreciate that he also criticises the right for religious fundamentalism and all the evils that come with it.

He is not awake but he serves a purpose.

Yep his Trump derangement syndrome definitely helps in taking away the Trumpism in people. 

4 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@Leo Gura People like Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens need to exist, or we'd all be stuck in blue.

Everything that exists needs to exist. So that doesn't say much.

@Leo Gura Who is awake, by your definition? Is Martin Ball awake? 

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

2 minutes ago, Enlightenment said:

@Leo Gura Who is awake, by your definition? Is Martin Ball awake? 

At least Martin Ball understands God & awakening. Sam doesn't even understand it properly at the conceptual level. Sam is still a materialist in essence.

@Preety_India sure faith is important but without rationality it's not possible to use your own brain, which is beautiful organ, and I would rather like to use it to make distinctions. I would rather watch sam Harris podcast to understand his perspective than the critic video you put in here. 

Preying on feeble mind, controlled opposition?? Please explain how, 

@The Lucid Dreamer So sam unified more aspects, and that's why he is able to make finer distinctions? 

@Leo Gura am I awake, who is the authority to decide the degree of awakening, Isn't this just judging and projecting? 

@Freakyboo I will decide the value of his ideas based on my own rationality, not what is being talked about in pop culture.  

21 minutes ago, Amit said:

am I awake

If you have to ask, then you ain't.

21 minutes ago, Amit said:

who is the authority to decide the degree of awakening,

There's only you. Whatever you decide will be the case.

@Amit

For you to grasp whatever I'm saying, you'll need to step outside the box of rationality and you're not at that stage yet. You have a long way to go. When you go through phases and stages, nobody will matter to you other than Infinity and pure consciousness, the Brahman. At that point, Sam Harris will appear to you as an insignificant speck in the politics of humanity using rationality to shield the shadows of his ego 

You'll undergo ego transcendence. 

Then suddenly whatever Leo says here will immediately become understandable to you. 

Till then everything will look like simplistic criticism to you.. 

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There's only you. Whatever you decide will be the case.

So Sam Harris made the claim that he is Awake, but you are saying he is not, you got some beef against him?

7 minutes ago, Amit said:

So Sam Harris made the claim that he is Awake, but you are saying he is not, you got some beef against him?

Nothing personal, but whatever degree of awakening he has, it's tiny compared to what is possible.

He will not lead you to deep awakening. He's busy playing rationalist games.

I don't have a beef with him. I say this only to inform people that if you want deep awakening, you won't find it in his work.

@The observer No, because I am able to decide from the source itself, any secondary critics not needed.

@Preety_India oh, is that so? But what if I already understand Leo's perspective, and you are just projecting on me your ignorance. What if you have a big spiritual ego, which has nothing to do with growing you spiritually? Do you even read and try to understand sam harris or just blindly follow Leo's preachings? I would suggest you take a break from spiritual teachings and try to think for yourself, it would grow you the most.

@Leo Gura He is interesting, enriching, and to the point in certain cases, but yes if you are a staunch follower It can be a trap for sure.