Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Someone here

Is life a dream?

99 posts in this topic

Is life a dream?  And what evidence do we have for this claim?. 

What does it mean to say life is a dream?  Does it mean there's someone in some other reality dreaming this universe up and when the dream ends I (you.. Us etc) will wake up in that reality just like what happens in our dreams inside this reality?.  

How does this relate to solipsism?  Who is dreaming?  I am dreaming you or you dreaming me? Or we both dreaming each other? . 

According to materialism dreams are hallucinations which happen due to neurological activities in the brain.. How is that possible?  How can a dream world with a space of 100 kilometers be couched within a brain of 15 centimeters space?? 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

58 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Is life a dream?

No. Life, obviously, is a physical world that we're born into and it has obvious rules and qualities that follow a certain logic. There's nothing mysterious about life. We have it all figured out, or let's be more honest, we have most of it figured out, thanks to science which will definitely figure out the rest in the near future.

58 minutes ago, Someone here said:

And what evidence do we have for this claim?

I don't have any.

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Is life a dream?  And what evidence do we have for this claim?. 

This is the same area as this thread you recently started

Rather than demand “evidence” on your terms and argue for your preconceived position -  open your mind, experiment, practice, observe, gain direct experience and integrate. Your intellectual argumentation is a distraction for you and others on the forum. If you continue to do so, this thread will get locked.

Intellectual masturbation and argumentation defending a held belief structure will not reveal actuality and deeper levels of knowing. If you genuinely want to explore and learn about how dreams and reality relate, let go of the attachments you are so fiercely defending and do some actual experimentation and exploration. For example, watch Leo’s videos on open mindedness and Life is Dream. Practice lucid dreaming while asleep and awake, do sensory deprivation tanks, psychedelics, kriya yoga, shamanic breathing, self inquiry, a solo retreat, extended time meditating in nature, strong determination sits. This can get you off your merry-go-round and lead you to realizations and deeper awareness.

And please don’t bait people into your intellectual traps and agenda. Be here with an open, genuine, humble mind that genuinely wants to learn and expand.

Wow!  Guys why are assuming that I'm having a preconceived dogma that I wanna spread? .  I seriously have no idea how to answer these questions and I wish to have a fruitful conversation. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

@Someone here

What does it mean to say life is a dream? 

Life is a dream, in the sense that it is fundamentally indifferent to a dream you have when you are asleep.

Think of the term, 'awakening' 

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

4 minutes ago, SamueLSD said:

@Someone here

Life is a dream, in the sense that it is fundamentally indifferent to a dream you have when you are asleep.

Think of the term, 'awakening' 

I noticed that. There is really no difference between reality and dreams phenomenologically. That is to say I can't be sure whether I'm awake or dreaming right now!.  This is freaky lol 

-Osho

14 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Wow!  Guys why are assuming that I'm having a preconceived dogma that I wanna spread? .  I seriously have no idea how to answer these questions and I wish to have a fruitful conversation. 

You’ve made over a hundred posts the last couple of weeks defending and arguing your pre-conceived ideas. 
Be mindful of tricking yourself into a self-deluded belief of genuine open-mindedness.

Below is not a genuine mindset of “I just want to have to fruitful conversation and learn”. 

Be here with an open mind to learn. If you revert back to arguing your position and mental masturbation, the thread will get locked.

You’ve spent many hours this week intellectually debating and correcting the wrongness of others. How many hours did you spend this week in practice to actually explore the ISness of real and imagined? If you really want to realize and expand, the intellectual merry-go-round will not get you there. You need to do actual practice.

9 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Be here with an open mind to learn. If you revert back to arguing your position and mental masturbation, the thread will get locked.

You’ve spent many hours this week intellectually debating and correcting the wrongness of others. How many hours did you spend this in practice to actually explore the ISness of real and margined? 

I'm here with an open mind. I'm asking questions and looking for convincing answers. What's wrong with that?.  If an argument is not your way you call it mental masturbation?. 

I feel like I'm being forced to shut up and not express my questions and thoughts that way different perspectives can merge and everyone can  get benefits. 

Go ahead and lock the thread if you want to. I don't see anything wrong with my questions to be honest! But thats gonna reveal who's the one that's having issues with openmindedness. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

1 minute ago, Someone here said:

I'm here with an open mind. I'm asking questions and looking for convincing answers. What's wrong with that?.  If an argument is not your way you call it mental masturbation?. 

Below is not an open mindset. And it is a small example of the pattern of over a hundred of your posts.

You are not aware of what an open mind is. Watch the below video (if you have an open mind).

I've always thought of it as this, all you experience is appearance, same as a dream.  When the sages have said the whole universe is an illusion, I have understood it in this way.  If they meant something else, I hope I learn that eventually :)

2 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Below is not an open mindset. And it is a small example of the pattern of over a hundred of your posts.

You are not aware of what an open mind is. Watch the below video (if you have an open mind).

I watched it all as soon as leo uploaded it. Rewatch it please and see how Leo is questioning every goddam assumption humans make.(example :how do you know the moon exists when you are not looking at it?). When I do the same and try to find truth you call it mental masturbation.  If I don't accept something I will present my reasons why I don't accept it. I won't just accept anything anyone says. That's not how to find truth isn't it?. 

-Osho

10 minutes ago, Meta-Man said:

@Someone here

It’s all about YOU. Not us. It’s your inward journey. Ask yourself ‘why’ you are doing/not doing the work. This isn’t some stage for a Jordan Peterson/Sam Harris style debate.

Some debating is fine, but when you regurgitage the same crap over and over endlessly, at some point surely you must realize it’s not going anywhere. 

Why are you calling it  a crap?  Can you answer that crap please because I seriously can't. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

2 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

self-deluded

Conversation can lead to opening of the mind.

@Someone here This realisation can open your mind to many things if you contemplate further.  

How can a dream world with a space of 100 kilometers be couched within a brain of 15 centimeters space?? 

That's the thing - the brain is not 'dreaming' awareness. You are 'dreaming' the brain! 

Under closer inspection you will realise that your brain is a concept within your mind. 

Consciousness cannot be measured

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

@Someone here Arm chair philosophy will not get you to the deeper and more expansive levels. You can spend years debating and demanding “evidence” on your terms and make no progress.

Tell us about the actual practices you are engaged in to explore the nature of imagined and real. Are you practicing lucid dreaming? Shamanic breathing? Sensory deprivation tanks? A solo retreat? Psychedelics? Extended hours meditating and observing nature? Kriya yoga?  . . . 

Notice how you call my position of not accepting your ideas because I think it's not convincing a "close minded" when you are doing just the same with my ideas. 

Ps. I'm not debating Im asking these questions and I don't know the answer so that we can discover together. 

-Osho

Oh boyo time for ?

Maybe ? or ?(don't judge me) smoothie gimme a break. 

This is gonna be good. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

2 minutes ago, SamueLSD said:

Conversation can lead to opening of the mind.

It depends on the energetic orientation. If there is curiosity and desire to explore, yes conversation can help open a mind.

However, a mind that is oriented toward defending a position, demanding “evidence” on it’s own terms and a desire to control the narrative will not open with conversation, because the “conservation” is actually argumentation of opposites and re-enforces one’s pre-conceived position. It is actually counter-productive. Sometimes it’s best to do the actual practice and work. If s eons is all-in with theoretical philosophy and is doing no practice, it is a tell-tale sign of a contracted mind.

8 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Someone here Arm chair philosophy will not get you to the deeper and more expansive levels. You can spend years debating and demanding “evidence” on your terms and make no progress.

Tell us about the actual practices you are engaged in to explore the nature of imagined and real. Are you practicing lucid dreaming? Shamanic breathing? Sensory deprivation tanks? A solo retreat? Psychedelics? Extended hours meditating and observing nature? Kriya yoga?  . . . 

8 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

First of all I'm not interested in debating in this thread. That would imply I already know the answers and trying to defend my position. I don't know the answers.  So don't worry it's not  gonna run as a debate but rather as a discovering process. 

Not sure why dashing the word "evidence" as if it's wrong or bad to ask the for evidence for claims. 

I practice mediation and contemplation.  Luicd dreams happen accidentally some times.  I'm starting from the conclusion that dreams can't be distinguished from reality. This isn't conclusive and I want to discover more. 

-Osho

5 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

It depends on the energetic orientation. If there is curiosity and desire to explore, yes conversation can help open a mind.

However, a mind that is oriented toward defending a position, demanding “evidence” on it’s own terms and a desire to control the narrative will not open with conversation, because the “conservation” is actually argumentation of opposites and re-enforces one’s pre-conceived position. It is actually counter-productive. Sometimes it’s best to do the actual practice and work. If s eons is all-in with theoretical philosophy and is doing no practice, it is a tell-tale sign of a contracted mind.

Please stop it. You don't know me or my intentions.  That's not so open minded of you to accuse me just because you don't like my questions for some reason. 

-Osho