Adodd

Healthy eating without a fridge??

10 posts in this topic

Hi all! I have just moved homes and currently only have a mini fridge. I have children as well. A gallon of milk and half Gallon of orange juice file up probably 70% of my fridge. Any recommendations for eating healthy throughoutthe day without much of a fridge at all? (without leaving twice a day to go to the store lol)

Large fridge can be delivered next day in most countries and it does not cost that much, don't let that be an obstacle :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Unfortunately with buying a new house and vehicle problems and living check to check it IS out of the question for the next 2-3 weeks.

Majority of fruits don't need to be refrigerated.

Different kinds of nuts don't need to be cold.

Those 2 categories have tons and tons of options and are healthy!

hrhrhtewgfegege

Depends on what you find by healthy, and whether you can cook. Personally I would go for things that are shelf stable like coconut milk and tomato/sauce cans, and make things like curry. You could get a rice cooker and make some rice too if you find that to be healthy. Lot of keto things are shelf stable like nuts, seeds, legumes. A bit expensive depending on how far you go. Maybe fill your fridge with high density foods that are reheatable, stackable containers, make rice daily which is pretty doable. If you feel your kids need the sugar as an affordable energy source, maybe get a drink mix made with natural sugar or something, or maybe a fruit juice concentrate? Not sure, but there's probably some powdered alternatives.

A lot of people think eggs need to go in the fridge, but this is totally false, keep them on the counter. Whole nations never refrigerate their eggs and it's fine. I never do.

Skip the OJ, buy oranges and other fruit instead, keep them on the counter. Drink water, eat fruit, it's healthier.

Buy smaller jugs of milk, 2L paper cartons are better for the environment than the plastic gallon jugs anyways.

Yogurt lasts an amazing amount of time out of the fridge, especially if you constantly are scraping off the top.

Do you have a pressure cooker? Once you cook something in there, don't open it and it's essentially sealed and safe from spoiling until you do open it. People do this with beans in Brazil when they don't have a fridge. Every time they open the pressure cooker to take some of the beans out, they just bring it back up to pressure after and leave it sealed and they don't spoil. This is in really warm climate too.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

I would say lots of quinoa, fruit, and ditch the OJ for extra space for vegetables.

Good luck <3