Beginner Mind

Is awakening as Awareness not the ultimate goal?

89 posts in this topic

Just trying to understand where Leo is coming from.  If I'm hearing him correctly, he claims that most if not all spiritual teachers are not fully awakened.  Therefore, teachers who teach that awakening to your true nature as Awareness is the ultimate goal, are misguided. 

In my experience, having recently had a glimpse of my true nature, recognizing yourself to be Awareness is indeed the ultimate goal, because it is the experience of happiness and fulfillment, and what could be higher than the experience of happiness?  Even if it's possible to go beyond and reach higher levels of awakening, why bother if you've already attained happiness?

He's certainly right that the majority of teachers are not fully awakened, bear in mind there are literally 1000s of teachers these days. 

You're going down the right path, so keep going. Recognizing the truth of your own being, and full Self-Realization is, of course, the ultimate 'goal' of awakening. As is truth, but the truth is synonymous with realizing your own being, and what comes with it is absolute peace and happiness. 

If you are ready to read, listen to fully awakened teachers I recommend- Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta Maharaj (be warned sometimes they are mistranslated and will be VERY direct- For example hearing 'The world doesn't exist' as a seeker can be tough to stomach!) 

In terms of western teachers- Rupert Spira, Francis Lucille (Rupert' teacher), I'm biased but I class my teachers Ramaji and Ananda Devi as fully awake- I'm sure I'll get backlash here for that :D

Others you might like - Adyashanti, Peter Brown and Shinzen Young 

At first, it's great to get a grasp of what different teachers are saying, but I would then say it's much more effective to stick to one teacher you resonate with and go deep into the teaching, ideally working 1-1 or going to retreats etc. 

That's what I did and it worked amazingly for me, good luck!

And, always remember, THIS as it is now, is always it. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

1 hour ago, Beginner Mind said:

In my experience, having recently had a glimpse of my true nature, recognizing yourself to be Awareness is indeed the ultimate goal, because it is the experience of happiness and fulfillment, and what could be higher than the experience of happiness? 

It is indeed.  You are not off the mark.  Awareness = Consciousness = God

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@LfcCharlie4 Thanks for the recommendations.  I've recently decided that Rupert Spira is my teacher.  Even Adyashanti (who I once followed) seems murky to me now compared to the clear pointers presented by Rupert.  And I agree, once you've found the teacher that most resonates with you, it's best to stick with that one teacher and go deeply into their teaching rather than dabbling in multiple teachings.

@Beginner Mind  I do it a different way. 

I don't have a fixed teacher because the illusion of a teacher can break anytime. 

I prefer to take pointers from each one of them and make my own salad. :)

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

21 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

It is indeed.  You are not off the mark.  Awareness = Consciousness = God

But doesn't Leo make a distinction between Awareness and God?

@Beginner Mind I've only heard/read a few things  from Rupert but what i heard i liked.  You would be in good hands.   The one bit i listened to was his breaking down of Solipsism and how it is not true.  And i also know that from the Absolute perspective he is awake to Oneness and that all beings are actuallly a manifestation of the one Universal Consciousness or Great Mind.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

4 minutes ago, Beginner Mind said:

But doesn't Leo make a distinction between Awareness and God?

Nope.  Just takes it to a deeper level.  What is God truly up to?  What are you doing right now as God that you aren't conscious of as a finite being? 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

4 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Beginner Mind  I do it a different way. 

I don't have a fixed teacher because the illusion of a teacher can break anytime. 

I prefer to take pointers from each one of them and make my own salad. :)

I used to take this approach as well.  But nowadays I prefer the simplicity of a single teacher.  I don't even like to own more than one book at a time.  I think I may have the opposite of a hoarding problem. xD

What if there were no goals?

What if there was no meaning purpose or value to anything and it was recognised these are just concepts created by the disease of the Mind.

What if nothing really mattered..

Would you feel afraid or free?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

2 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

What if there were no goals?

What if there was no meaning purpose or value to anything and it was recognised these are just concepts created by the disease of the Mind.

What if nothing really mattered..

Would you feel afraid or free?

Yah yah we know bud - im gonna drop by and we can have cookies on your couch today :)  it's all perfect...till Trump gets another 4 years :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

8 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Nope.  Just takes it to a deeper level.  What is God truly up to?  What are you doing right now as God that you aren't conscious of as a finite being? 

Interesting questions to contemplate, but ultimately, do they even matter once you've recognized yourself to be Awareness?  In my opinion, no goal is higher than happiness.  Once you realize you are Awareness, happiness is achieved.  And so, no further investigation is necessary.  But I know Leo is interested in truth so it makes sense from his point of view to go as deeply into these matters as possible.  But for me, the happiness attained from the recognition of Awareness is enough.

@VeganAwake I appreciate your passion for meaninglessness, but, your buddies Jim Newman and Tony Parsons just don't resonate with me.  They might as well be speaking Chinese.

6 minutes ago, Beginner Mind said:

But for me, the happiness attained from the recognition of Awareness is enough.

Perfectly said.  And yes it is the miracle of all miracles when it is realized.   There is truly nothing else that can compare.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

15 minutes ago, Beginner Mind said:

@VeganAwake I appreciate your passion for meaninglessness, but, your buddies Jim Newman and Tony Parsons just don't resonate with me.  They might as well be speaking Chinese.

Yeah no problem... and that's totally perfect because it's what's happening ❤

What was said was not just their influences, it was my own Awakening experience along with dozens of other spiritual influencers / Masters..

Osho and Robert Wolfe we're also very big on the communication that nothing really matters and there is no goal.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

❤️ Infinite Love ❤️:xME. 

MYSELF. ? 

It really is something. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

@Inliytened1 And we're back to agreeing again ;) I'll add = Happiness 

@VeganAwake I am very very shocked you recommended someone as awakened as Robert Wolfe, a descendent of Ramana Maharshi, well done! ;)

I am still shocked you're actually recommending a decent Teacher, a teacher who's truly self-realized, Jesus was right- Miracles can happen! xD

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

38 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Perfectly said.  And yes it is the miracle of all miracles when it is realized.   There is truly nothing else that can compare.

Agreed.  A happiness and joy that is not dependent on anything.  So beautiful.

1 hour ago, Inliytened1 said:

Yah yah we know bud - im gonna drop by and we can have cookies on your couch today :)  it's all perfect...till Trump gets another 4 years :)

Haha yes we'll watch it together on my couch ...I got the cookies you bring the vegan eggnog with Soco...?