Mongu9719

If we can cure ageing in the next 100 years, what does it mean for spirituality?

20 posts in this topic

Theoretically if we are able to halt ageing within the next 100 years and If death is no longer significant, what will it mean for spirituality? There is already a lot of promising studies being conducted right now, and even clinical trials (David Sinclair and Aubrey D Grey are prominent scientists in this field).  A lot of spirituality is based on overcoming a fear of death and to alleviate suffering. It seems conceivable to me that we could solve the majority of physical ailments and even prevent death altogether in the next 150 years when examining the rapid progression of technology. How will this impacts Leo’s teachings on impermanence and death?

Edited by Mongu9719

@Mongu9719 Can you share these findings? It's great that we will be able to live longer! 

I don't think it's possible to never die, but who knows I could be very wrong. 

Plus, Impermanence will still be very prevalent, this moment right now is unique and impermanent, it will pass, if you live longer you'll have more 'Moments' but that doesn't change the fundamental truth of reality, Everything is always here and always now!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@LfcCharlie4 I don't think it's possible to never die, but who knows I could be very wrong. 

you are very wrong. Do some research before you make such ignorant statements.

We will never cure ageing/death, technology has its limits. Just because it accelerated so much in the last years doesn't mean it will go on to infinity. Look at CERN's hadron collider new discoveries, they just hit a wall they know they can't break.

Edited by Arzack

@Mongu9719 what if the "cure" already resides within our DNA, and collective awakening unlocks it? So perhaps the question you should be asking is, "What does spirituality mean for our relative, physical existence?"

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

@Arzack people said the same thing about manned flight, nuclear fission, AI, and other tech. 

@Red-White-Light You can choose when you want to die. Ageing is a disease after all. We don’t treat any other illness as a natural part of life and ageing is the ultimate disease we need to tackle.

@Red-White-Light Yeah and you know what else is natural? Rape, murder, shitting outside and cannibalism in human tribes. We have evolved past that with technology. It’s a huge fallacy to say that just because something is natural that it’s good. Ageing causes misery for a lot of people because there are a lot negative symptoms associated with it like arthritis, dementia, loss of eyesight. If we can solve the root issue then we can help a lot People.

It means nothing.  You are changing all the time, so in a sense you have already died many times over.

There is no permanence, only the illusion of it.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

@Mongu9719 You're confusing ageing with age-related diseases. All the things you describe are anti-social. If you want to use nature to describe behaviour, the natural way a human is programmed is for social behaviour towards their survival.

Edited by Red-White-Light

Aging is a natural process and not a disease. 

Spirituality is a life long process of transformation. 

Nothing to do with aging. 

The whole idea that we'll be immortal is a huge fallacy. 

Technology can only aid survival but cannot halt death. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Red-White-Light @Preety_India Ageing and age related conditions go hand in hand, so this distinction is irrelevant. Those behaviour you described as “anti-social” are only “anti-social” because we were able to move past being primitive tribes living in “natural” conditions. This was socially acceptable and even encouraged back then.  If you really want the most natural lifestyle then why don’t you abandon modern society and live in the woods? I doubt you would survive without all the unnatural technology like modern medicine to help you. Again, just because something is natural doesn’t mean it’s good. This is the fallacy. Also you claim that we can never be immortal, but we already have clinical trials showing that we can do just that. We have already identified the genes for ageing. Humans always underestimate what is possible. People didn’t think an AI could beat the best GO player, that we would ever land on the moon, or create nuclear fission. It’s silly to assume that we couldn’t tackle ageing. We are well on the way. 

Edited by Mongu9719

@Mongu9719

Well as of now, that's not happening. 

Let's talk when immortality becomes a real possibility because right now it isn't. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Mongu9719 If it does happen, a whole other set of problems will be created. Human suffering will remain 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@Mongu9719 I literally asked you to show the research that shows this, no need to be a dick in response.

If you make claims that we can live forever etc, then I’d like to see the research please. 

also, as I said it doesn’t really effect spirituality or your journey much, just means you get a longer and better experience in this vehicle, what’s bad about that? 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@Mongu9719 genuinely I love health and fitness, can you please show this reaearch that shows we can prevent/ reverse ageing and live a lot longer. 

Personally would rather not have to deal with the effects of ageing or at least minimise them :)