Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Forrest Adkins

Atheist on Egyptian TV (Spiral Dynamics)

14 posts in this topic

wow... he hit their sore spots pretty quickly... props to him for keeping his composure

it hurts when your egoic structure starts getting rattled...

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Wow now the presenter's attitude is extremely savage !! He unfortunately couldn't even listen to the guy and understand his point of view. I'm from Morocco and atheist, I'm pretty sure most of people would react similarly in my home country.

you have to see it from the hosts point of view too, his whole career is on the line and he knows that albeit subconsciously, the more defensive he gets the safer his career and even life, Egypts population is 90% Muslim.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I absolutely share the same thought. I didn't mention this thought in my previous comment, but yeah it can be felt that he had to overeact at some point for the sake of his audience.

@mrzgraphics what do you think how his audience would react? would some people at least feel with the guy who is scapegoated - ( i wonder who invented psychology)... or do you think most people are so blue that they would feel like the moderator? it’s more like an exemplary situation i suppose to show on how to behave if you meet an atheist, or is it supposed to trigger some mercy? at least he got the chance to place the idea that something like non believing exists. in that he was already successful.

Edited by remember

@remember Well first of all I don't know this TV program but from that preview it looks like these TV shows where a Imam is invited to give lessons on various topics based on the islamic faith and respond to questions asked by audience. Of course, the guy declaring he's atheist and proud of being so (he seems pround and comfortable to say it loud even though it's really dangerous especially in countries like Egypt), it triggered the host to react to strongly opposing position. I suppose this TV show's audience is predominantly muslims (not only from Egypt but from other Arab countries watching via Nilesat). Therefore, the host himself probably holding islamic faith, he knew he had to react by completely rejecting the guy's statement. I would say that if he didn't react that way, maybe some of his audience would start questioning his (the host) faith, because remember there are christians in Egypt as well (but of course as minority compared to islam). But deep inside, I feel that so many people watching that show would feel uncomfortable for the poor guy being smashed so violently only for being so brave to say "I'm not believing in Islam".

@Nahm This should me on the Society sub forum. 

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

@Johnny5 But I think this orange vs. blue reaction (or rather blue vs. blue) is so strong, in a negative way, to represent a danger to another person's life. I think such scenarios are unlikely to occur at higher stages, i.e. orange and beyond.

28 minutes ago, Derek White said:

@Nahm This should me on the Society sub forum. 

it shows how connected some topics are - for an atheist. what would you say is spirituality?

there is a really thin line. if society and culture is part of someone’s spirituality, then the categories collapse.

@Johnny5 Oh thanks Johnny for taking the time to explain this concept which is foreign to me. I'm a fresh member among you; joined yesterday. But I have been watching Leo's Youtube channel for more than two years. I will definitely watch the Content vs Structure/Pattern.
Have a great day! (it's time for me to go to bed; it's midnight where I live :P)

Haha! So cool that the interviewer is dressed in blue and that the atheist has a green sweater.