Beginner Mind

Nothing Really Matters...?

20 posts in this topic

I've seen this said from a few different non-dual sources but with little elaboration....  "Nothing really matters." 

Do you guys think this is true?  If so, what is the significance of this realization?

Its freedom!!

There is no meaning, no purpose to anything, "nothing really matters" it's complete boundless freedom... 

It's Freer than free ?

Only a mind wants meaning purpose value...no mind...no problem...

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

And if someone disagree's and believes that something does matter, that also doesn't matter ?

Edited by VeganAwake

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Why does not apply, that's within the dream of the individual.

It doesn't matter because it's Just Energy being energetic....

There is no one here for anything to be perceived as purposeful or not.

1 hour ago, Beginner Mind said:

I've seen this said from a few different non-dual sources but with little elaboration....  "Nothing really matters." 

From a nondual perspective, there is One (not two). From the perspective of One, there is no thing to “matter”. For a thing to matter, it must be a separate thing relative to another thing. And we must assign relative meaning to that thing. 

For example, if everything was blue, does it matter if my pen is blue? Of course not, everything is blue so it doesn’t matter. Similarly, if everything is One, nothing matters. 

Yet from a relative perspective, things do matter. 

1 hour ago, VeganAwake said:

And if someone disagree's and believes that something does matter, that also doesn't matter ?

Love this from you above!

Also...

It's mind over matter. I don't mind and you don't matter!

Actually I need to hear this. I mean this thread. I've spent probably 90% of my adult life thinking everything matters and this has fueled my fear. I'm like a child getting scared there is a monster under the bed and I am 44 yrs old now. 

57 minutes ago, Bill W said:

Love this from you above!

Also...

It's mind over matter. I don't mind and you don't matter!

Actually I need to hear this. I mean this thread. I've spent probably 90% of my adult life thinking everything matters and this has fueled my fear. I'm like a child getting scared there is a monster under the bed and I am 44 yrs old now. 

Yes deprogramming from the conditioning takes a little time.

Its freedom ❤

2 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

Why does not apply, that's within the dream of the individual.

It doesn't matter because it's Just Energy being energetic....

There is no one here for anything to be perceived as purposeful or not.

What about the many people who do perceive their life as being purposeful, including the peeps on this forum working towards their "life purpose"?  Do we just chalk that up to energy being energetic?  And are these people seeing a purpose where none actually exists? 

2 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

From a nondual perspective, there is One (not two). From the perspective of One, there is no thing to “matter”. For a thing to matter, it must be a separate thing relative to another thing. And we must assign relative meaning to that thing. 

For example, if everything was blue, does it matter if my pen is blue? Of course not, everything is blue so it doesn’t matter. Similarly, if everything is One, nothing matters. 

Yet from a relative perspective, things do matter. 

So from the non-dual perspective, could it be said that everything is neutral?  For example, there's no difference between me winning a million bucks in the lottery and having a million dollars stolen from my bank account.  Total neutrality.

Edited by Beginner Mind

Meaning is a human perspective that serves as a utility for survival and is not inherently true. Meaning is something that’s used, not something that is. 

52 minutes ago, Beginner Mind said:

What about the many people who do perceive their life as being purposeful, including the peeps on this forum working towards their "life purpose"?  Do we just chalk that up to energy being energetic?  And are these people seeing a purpose where none actually exists? 

I know, it's completely wild and radical...

It's some kind of Boundless Energy identifying as a separate human.

It's incomprehensible or unknowable...

Its real and unreal...

Its THIS!! ❤

Edited by VeganAwake

So from the non-dual perspective, could it be said that everything is neutral?  For example, there's no difference between me winning a million bucks in the lottery and having a million dollars stolen from my bank account.  Total neutrality.

Neutral implies a position between two or more points which would exclude the idea from non-dual.  Non-dual is the unified field, a difficult concept to begin to take form within the mind but with practice and contemplation it will come about.

It is challenging when mixing concepts of dual and non-dual and trying to establish a singular point of supremacy.  

I believe I see people say something like nothing, no-thing, matters and they are stemming the sentiment from a place that exists beyond the ego identity.  They negate the ego and the life they live.  The people who say nothing matters live daily lives where they make value judgments from moment to moment.  

I would say a more accurate, more inclusive, statement would be everything matters AND nothing matters at the same time.  

I don't like the term "neutral" because it suggests the midpoint between "positive" and "negative", which is a continuum of comparisons. This is two steps removed. We can get a step closer.

For me, a better description would be "ISness". Is winning a lottery ISness? Sure it IS. Is losing a million dollars ISness? You betcha. Is bird poop ISness? Yep. How about thoughts on nonduality? More ISness. A bridge, a car accident, calculus, a fart, a toothache, sex, a turkey sandwich, joy, thoughts about unicorns. . . and on and on. All ISness. I like this term better, because it is one step closer to the absolute than "neutral".

Notice "add ons". We can say things like "Winning the lottery is neutral". That sunrise is beautiful. That is a dog. . . This is all an extra step from what IS. There is simply IS. When we create thoughts like "That sunrise is beautiful", we separate the One ISness. With separation, we a creating a thing called a "sunrise" that is distinct from all other things not a sunrise. We are also creating a thing call "beautiful" that is distinct from things not beautiful. These are relative is's. A thing is relative to another thing. Yet Absolute IS has no contrast. It has no opposite. It just IS. 

All dualism needs at least two things. One thing and another not that thing for contrast. If I say "phone", it means not any thing that is "not phone". Yet for communication, it would be inefficient to say"not coffee cup, not sun, not TV, not hand lotion, not the letter Q, not pink, not Texas, not a toe nail. . . ". We would have to say "Not X" for an infinite number of things. This would take eternity. It is much more efficient to simply partition off a thing from the whole and simply say "phone".

Left right bottom top middle up down positive negative In out this that light dark yin yang

All happening within THIS...

THIS = ONENESS

Like sandcastles appearing as different things but still just sand....

Like waves appearing as separate things but still just the ocean...

Duality is simply an appearance of separateness within a whole...

"The separation never occurred"            - A Course in Miracles

Edited by VeganAwake

@VeganAwake

Totally appreciate what you are sharing here, and it resonates undoubtedly.

For fun.. Wouldn't "this" be dependent on "that" thus not examples of oneness?   For there to be one, something measurable, wouldn't there need to be at least two to reference one?

Are the shapes within the sand nonexistent or are the waves on the ocean non existent?

Or are waves only the ocean and shapes only the sand?  

or is the ocean really just waves and sand really just shapes?

Or is it possible that nothing is something and something is nothing?

If the unified, unknowable, unnameable... never had desire for expression why would it express in the first place?  Is it expression or separation that we are observing in the act of becoming?  Is it possible that separation never occurred but expression did?

Some thoughts that come to mind..  Just thoughts.. nothing serious.. 

9 minutes ago, RevoCulture said:

@VeganAwake

Totally appreciate what you are sharing here, and it resonates undoubtedly.

For fun.. Wouldn't "this" be dependent on "that" thus not examples of oneness?   For there to be one, something measurable, wouldn't there need to be at least two to reference one?

Are the shapes within the sand nonexistent or are the waves on the ocean non existent?

Or are waves only the ocean and shapes only the sand?  

or is the ocean really just waves and sand really just shapes?

Or is it possible that nothing is something and something is nothing?

If the unified, unknowable, unnameable... never had desire for expression why would it express in the first place?  Is it expression or separation that we are observing in the act of becoming?  Is it possible that separation never occurred but expression did?

Some thoughts that come to mind..  Just thoughts.. nothing serious.. 

Yes everything is real and unreal and it's all happening within THIS... including expression..

7 hours ago, Beginner Mind said:

Do you guys think this is true?  If so, what is the significance of this realization?

Do you know Robert Wolfe? ?