joeyi99

"physical reality" lost its solidity while meditating

11 posts in this topic

I have been meditating for almost three years now and I'm starting to see it take an effect on my visual field in an interesting way. For the last week I've been meditating on my bed and noticed that my bedpost in front of me starts to wave and morph (as if it can stretch and move around) making it seem not so "solid" as my "normal state" perceived it to be.

My attention then got sucked into this wavy motion of my bedpost and I pretty much was locked in it in fascination. My mind was silenced and this state remained effortless. I remember Leo mentioned in his Mushroom video that he would get sucked into these trances while looking at objects and I imagined my experience was somewhat similar. 

I now find now it is easy to enter calm states of meditation than when I first started.  

That's right, the stronger your focus the more psychedelic your visual field will become.

That's a tiny taste of how psychedelics work.

Imagine that multipled by 100.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Buddhist monks talk of the "dancing Buddha." That's when you stare at a Buddha statue for so long and with so much focus that it starts to wave around and "dance" -- just like it would if you took some LSD.

;)

I took a bath some days ago and it once more hit me how impossible all of existence is. Altered states are not necessary to see the impossibility and truly mysterious nature of all things common.

It's hard to put it into words, but you can clearly see how absurdly weird even the most fundamentaly aspects of our being are. The most fundamentaly, unthinkably common things are utterly impossible.

The visual field itself, with colors, shapes, seperation, size and all aspects for which we have found no words for, they are literally magic itself. It is completely insane, it cannot be put into words how impossible it is, how utterly weird and miraculous.

The fabric which upholds "physical reality" or "mind" is simply inexplicable. To all the gross and subtle things, that which swims between them, that which gives continuity, it is without question completely and fully mysterious.

I much prefer to see the impossible in the common rather than be surprised by the mysterious nature of the uncommon. If you were given a new dimension of existence to experience, or what we call a new Sense, you would instantly realize the impossibility of it. You would immediately realize the limitlessness of existence.

But that is not necessary at all. And moreover it will not give you insight into the utterly absurd nature of the things that are most common to you. The things so common you do not even have a name for them. The things so utterly common no human being has ever found a word for it.

If you see the utterly impossible nature of the most common, the uncommon will be nothing but an extention of the common. And the common will be the utterly mysterious and impossible.

There is state of realization that I cannot quite find a word for it. It is like seeing Logic itself, all states of existence which to us seem so common that it is inconceivable to even imagine them to be of other nature. Seeing that very clearly, and seeing that it is utterly mysterious. That it is not how things have to be, but simply how they are.

Seeing the impossibility of their presence to such a degree that you feel like you might go insane just by looking at it for any longer. Being so aware of them that you can identify their waving nature...

Holy shit, I just realized the word I was looking for is Illusion. This is Illusion. You look so deeply at the thing most common that you realize their illusiory nature. And Illusion is magical, it is utterly mysterious and impossible. Looking at it with such intensity that you feel like the Illusion might fall apart and that you might never come back.

I have not yet developed the courage to continue looking at it. Whenever I try I feel dreadful. It feels like it could be so final that I would never come back. It feels like literally going insane. No, it rather feels like one is becoming so sane that the common, the world itself, would become pure insanity. That one would not be able to escape the mysterious nature of all things, the impossibility of it. And there is a sense that the full realization of the impossibility of it will actually render all of it non-existent.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

8 hours ago, Scholar said:

And Illusion is magical, it is utterly mysterious and impossible.

Illusion is that which is, but isn't. ;)

Another good word is hallucination: an appearance without any underlying substance.

Or, of course, a dream.

Illusion = hallucination = dream

17 hours ago, joeyi99 said:

my bedpost in front of me starts to wave and morph (as if it can stretch and move around) making it seem not so "solid" as my "normal state" perceived it to be.

My attention then got sucked into this wavy motion of my bedpost and I pretty much was locked in it in fascination. My mind was silenced and this state remained effortless.

Ime, this can be an entry into expanding one's consciousness/reality. It goes much deeper and broader. It's not just a physical object that can appear visually wavy and morph. Beingness, direct experience and ISness can become "wavy" and "morph". Imo, the appearance of morphing, fascination, silence and effortlessness are really good manifestations for exploration. Morphing visuals are just the beginning. Personally, I don't resonate with morphing visuals. I don't resonate with psychedelics that morph objects - like melting walls or wavy patterns. For me, that is a distraction. I'm much more attracted to other forms of morphing reality. However, mesmerization into an object can be a portal for me that leads to space in which "stuff" can appear. I may be staring at a tree, a painting or a flickering candle and my mind becomes mesmerized by it. Yet then it isn't about the distortion of the object. It's more like a new dimension or essence is revealed and the object merely allowed my mind to get relaxed and quiet for it to happen. An ISness in which real vs. imagined dissolves. 

@Scholar Im not sure if i understood your description but it was an interesting read.. 

I can relate to the part where you say everything is so deeply mysterious however. It truly is mysterious. I cannot wrap my mind around how mysterious it is. 

Why would you call it an illusion though? 

hehe, this reminds of a family guy skit. 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts