abrakamowse

What Are Your Predilect Self Realization Teachers/gurus?

41 posts in this topic

They can be dead or alive, I think I will exclude the obvious like Jesus, Buddha, prophets, etc...

Mine are

Mooji
Alan Watts
Jed McKenna
Eckhart Tolle
D.T. Suzuki
Shunryū Suzuki

Those are some, the most important at this moment.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Thanks @Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj  I will check those master you mentioned. I forgot about Adyashanti.

:P

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

Ajahn Chah, enlightened monk from the Buddhist Theravada tradition

Franklin Merrel Wolf, american mystic who used inquiry of the Self. (Who am I?)

Luangpor Teean, a monk we might not know about but is worth checking out, he has developped a new type of meditation technique that has helped him realize the path.

Hsu Yun, a Chinese Chan Master whose life is absolutely remarkable. He died at 119 years old, despite many beatings and torture under the communist revolution.

Dipa Ma, a woman whose life also is inspiring.

"Myself for defying the world" and Leo.

Edited by DizIzMikey

I gotta go with Ram Dass.  His book "Be Here Now" was the first I ever read on this subject. It was quite an awakening for that time.

On 13.6.2016 at 6:00 PM, abrakamowse said:

I forgot about Adyashanti.

shame on you :D

what about Gangaji ?

2 hours ago, Extreme Z7 said:

@abrakamowse Dude, have you heard of Rupert Spira?

Yes, I like him. I am subscribed to his YouTube channel (not sure if it is his channel, but it has a lot of videos of him). Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, MartineF said:

shame on you :D

what about Gangaji ?

Never heard about her, I am going to google her.
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your posts!!!

Edited by abrakamowse

On 6/10/2016 at 3:13 PM, Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj said:

Peter Ralston, Nisargadatta Maharaj, Jed Mckenna, Adyashanti, Ken Wilber and Philip Kapleau.

I am reading Nisargadatta Maharaj and it's awesome, blow minding. Very direct Zen. It is helping me a lot.

Thanks!

I just googled Gangaji @MartineF , interesting. Thanks!

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

I gotta go with Ram Dass.  His book "Be Here Now" was the first I ever read on this subject. It was quite an awakening for that time.

I am not 100% sure, but I think that one was a predilect book of Steve Jobs. I have to check, it says that in his biography I think.

@abrakamowse  That's interesting. It is a classic. I haven't seen my copy for years so I ordered it on ebay this morning.  About half the book is illustrations. The whole book is a trip in itself because it takes you out of the mind set of what is "normal" reality. It's one mans journey to India and finding a guru that helped him see through the illusion of himself.

2 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

I am reading Nisargadatta Maharaj and it's awesome, blow minding. Very direct Zen. It is helping me a lot.

Thanks!

It's so fucking good! It crushed so many dreams of mine. :D

Hallå

@cetus56  Very interesting indeed. I have Eckhart Tolle "The Power of Now" and I want to read "Be Here Now" to compare both, but for what you are telling me it sounds they are quite different.

I checked Steve Jobs biography and yes, that's the book he read. He also read Beginners Mind, Zen Mind by Suzuki and the Life of Yogananda, among others.

@MartineF  Cool, thank you!

Mine currently are:

Vernon Howard (he was my first) and a couple of his students, Guy Finley & Tom Russell

Joey Lott

Kyle Hoobin

Jeff Foster

Leo Gura