Amandine

Good healthy alternative to sugar please?

12 posts in this topic

I use sucralose in my hot drinks and baking, but would prefer to replace it with something more natural and less harmful for the body (research on rats so far indicate disturbance to the gut bacteria).

Edited by Amandine

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence". Erich Fromm

@Amandine honey bee. The only con is that makes you fat is you abuse consumption :*

You can put it on tea, coffee, also in milk, but the liquid has to be warm or it wont dissolve. You can drink warm wather with honey if you're quitting caffeine. Just one scoop per cup, its amazing. 

Thank you both @Jonac @Meetjoeblack  I'd be more attracted to stevia than honey though as a non-caloric substitute. ?  

@Vipassana @youngshinzen great ideas thanks, although not knowing monk fruit, I'll have to do some research. ?   

Edited by Amandine

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence". Erich Fromm

Sugar is sugar...

It doesn’t matter if it’s honey, agave, table sugar, etc.

They all cause an insulin spike and should be limited.

Be real with yourself and don’t play the lesser of two evils game here. 

There is no such thing as “healthy” sugar. Are there appropriate times to consume sugar? Absolutely. But it’s certainly not three times a day. 

For the average individual wishing to optimize health, there is no reason to consume over 30g of sugar a day.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

9 hours ago, King Merk said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

It's all good, not gonna shoot the messenger, lol, but you're right, it's best to avoid both the artificial stuff and the insulin spikes from the more "natural" stuff.

It's easy to manoeuvre in baking, you can just add fruit (and certain veggies) to sweeten, the difficulty for me will concern my hot drinks that seem impossible right now to imagine drinking unsweetened.  

I don't see any research on the bad effects of sweetening with wheat dextrin (or corn dextrin) though apart from fiber tolerance issues (but it's so sweet you don't have to use much at all), the fact it contains gluten (a no-no for some) and the fact that it's a "processed" product.

Edited by Amandine

@Amandine I used to be really addicted to adding sugar to everything. My oatmeal, my drinks, my cereal, my rice, hell I even used to add sugar to the top of my fruit.

Likewise, I couldn’t imagine consuming any of those things without added sugar. What helped me was gradually reducing the amount added. So instead of going cold turkey, I’d just put a little bit less sugar each time until I gradually weened myself off it. Maybe that’s something to try. 

Wheat and corn both cause inflammatory issues in myself so I’d be weary of those dextrin sources. But perhaps they’re something your body tolerated better than mine.

Just bring awareness to how you feel after eating them and the body will let if you know if it’s okay to eat by the signs it send you. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

Start off with erythritol, then slowly purge yourself off it.

Even if you have a sugar supplement like erythritol, you're still seeking happiness in the external, which causes suffering.

Sugar as a composite together with fruits and vegetables, i don't know about syroups tho as they are already too produced with too less complementary substances in them to help you metabolize it. So for example. - sucrose with beetroots, sugarbeets, fructose with fruits; they have all the components in them to metabolize the excess sugar efficently, unless you already have insulin resistance or other sugar problems. Honey is probably the best, meanwhile artificial sweeteners are not holy and i don't suggest, some of them may accumulate in the body and just stay there, some my cause dhiarea if consumed too much, some are rumored to cause brain diseases, i might have to update my response as i study food industry in my uni.