themovement

Leo, why don't you just go off to become a monk

48 posts in this topic

Just from reading some of your posts recently and your dedication to spiritual work I wonder why don't you just go off to a monastery and meditate all day until you reach full liberation? There are places like the one in Burma where you can go and just meditate all day and they feed you two meals a day, so they are places that facilitate full time meditation. Or do you see benefit of living in modern society and say doing the things so called normal people do like have kids, wife, purposeful job ect ? This question is not just for Leo but everyone. Just interested to hear your thoughts on it. I don't see why we all just don't go off and become full time monks. 

He could do it for a temporary period of time which they allow

However it could be a problem to come back to his business and they probably would not allow him to attend to it at the same time.

So to maintain it it would either have to be something that could be put on hold and he would have to put his trust in other's hands or let it die down and then try to bring it back later.

But, correct me if I am wrong, Leo does not trust teachers,  does not like the Buddhist type of mediation in Burma and they would not allow psychedelics.   So there are many reasons he would not do it  in my estimation

It’s possible to become liberated anywhere. Some attain it through isolated circumstances while others attain it through interaction with others.

From the Absolute “perspective”, circumstance is more of a correlation rather than a causation. 

This is why there’s no such thing as one objectively right way to become awakened. 

Anything you do is spirituality, you don't need to be in Burma or China or India or wherever else 

2 hours ago, bejapuskas said:

Anything you do is spirituality, you don't need to be in Burma or China or India or wherever else 

@bejapuskas Of course I was just using there as an example as they have lots of open places that facilitate 24/7 meditation. 

2 hours ago, Nak Khid said:

He could do it for a temporary period of time which they allow

However it could be a problem to come back to his business and they probably would not allow him to attend to it at the same time.

So to maintain it it would either have to be something that could be put on hold and he would have to put his trust in other's hands or let it die down and then try to bring it back later.

But, correct me if I am wrong, Leo does not trust teachers,  does not like the Buddhist type of mediation in Burma and they would not allow psychedelics.   So there are many reasons he would not do it  in my estimation

@Nak Khid Yeah I see that problem with his business, he could pay someone trustworthy to maintain it. I don't think he would not trust certain teachers, this could be where he is going slightly wrong. Trying to do it all on his own. and yeah valid point about the psychs, I think if he just went away for a year or two purely to focus on his practice could really do him some good. 

13 minutes ago, themovement said:

@Nak Khid Yeah I see that problem with his business, he could pay someone trustworthy to maintain it. I don't think he would not trust certain teachers, this could be where he is going slightly wrong. Trying to do it all on his own. and yeah valid point about the psychs, I think if he just went away for a year or two purely to focus on his practice could really do him some good. 

what he could also do is take a trip to visit various spiritual teachers in different places and put it on video

But he also may be expecting to have a psychedelic breakthrough that will be permanent instead of doing that

30 minutes ago, themovement said:

@bejapuskas Of course I was just using there as an example as they have lots of open places that facilitate 24/7 meditation. 

I feel like it goes deeper than you actually think, try to find it yourself, what it means :) 

13 minutes ago, Nak Khid said:

what he could also do is take a trip to visit various spiritual teachers in different places and put it on video

He has some interviews with Peter Ralston on youtube.

1 minute ago, bejapuskas said:

I feel like it goes deeper than you actually think, try to find it yourself, what it means :) 

He has some interviews with Peter Ralston on youtube.

But to some far off locutions where the trip there is part of the experience on video, like to Nepal or somewhere

46 minutes ago, bejapuskas said:

@Nak Khid  why would he do that?

you have to leave your comfort zone or you won't get anywhere

and as a byproduct it would be exciting to watch it documented on video

@Nak Khid  You can already see many videos about this on youtube, Leo clearly focuses on things that are original.

I think you don't understand what he is trying to communicate, giving up everything you love as a human is an example of leaving your comfort zone :D This belief that he needs to go somewhere is just distracting you from getting where you want to be. 

14 hours ago, Nak Khid said:

But he also may be expecting to have a psychedelic breakthrough that will be permanent instead of doing that

Now that is a cool idea he should totally do that. 

13 hours ago, bejapuskas said:

I know what you mean everything you do is spiritual but Leo is after permeant awakening, not point in using that as a get out card from doing the work. You have to modify things to give a better chance of achieving enlightenment, and that is the law of the land. He could say take crack and meth playing video games all day but that would be less likely to produce an awakening then if he did a two year long meditation retreat. I think his use of pycs are the main reason why he dose not do this prob. 

There is a clear difference in the standard of experience of say sadguru to a crack addict.  

22 minutes ago, themovement said:

I know what you mean everything you do is spiritual but Leo is after permeant awakening, not point in using that as a get out card from doing the work. You have to modify things to give a better chance of achieving enlightenment, and that is the law of the land.

If everything is spirituality, you cannot get out, that's the point. Being in a different location doesn't change anything about Love. If you can design your life in society in a particular way, it can also be a very effective way of becoming conscious. :) 

9 hours ago, bejapuskas said:

If everything is spirituality, you cannot get out, that's the point. Being in a different location doesn't change anything about Love. If you can design your life in society in a particular way, it can also be a very effective way of becoming conscious. :) 

Get out of the house and stop making excuses for being a spiritual couch potato

You don’t need to live in a monastery to become enlightened or fully self realised. 

Maybe for some people this is their path, but personally it isn’t mine as I LOVE life :) 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Being in a monastery helps because many distractions and temptations are removed

and you can do it on a temporary basis

But you have to like the idea of being monk.
If you don't and you are just after a result it would be very hard

Edited by Nak Khid

The dharma of the living being is to render service
either directly or indirectly. Thank you @Leo Gura for choosing the way things are.

In a sense thats selfish, going off all by yourself indefinitely and enjoying liberation vs use your insights to build the consciousness of others. And you can do both, hence the importance of solo retreats. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

11 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

In a sense thats selfish, going off all by yourself indefinitely and enjoying liberation vs use your insights to build the consciousness of others. And you can do both, hence the importance of solo retreats. 

Disagree it's selfish, being a monk is probably the most unselfish thing you can do. You completely eradicate your carbon footprint, think what would happen to the world if everyone became monks. We would have peace on earth pretty much for all sentient beings. Being selfish really means not acting from a place of self. I agree doing both and sharing insights is also amazing.