Aquarius

Quitting meat as first step to better health

57 posts in this topic

Certainly be open to try different things for weeks and months at a time and see how it makes you feel! It's really important to get in touch and finely pay attention to your body during this process to see what you need. Check in to see how you feel during each meal, and ultimately after each kind of diet. You want to find a balance between having consistent energy and health day to day, and also being in line with your spirituality. A good question to come back to a lot and consider is "am I in balance with the world?"

A huge thing to be looking out for is not getting get caught up in the giant projection game and ideologies of diets and nutrition. It will waste countless emotions and time, and is massive trap that unfortunately almost everyone is caught up in. People go insane over this stuff, making conclusions before finding evidence, and manufacturing zealous worldviews that they try to force on others.

Don't participate in that. This is your body to take care of, that should be your only concern. @Aquarius

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

In addition to animal suffering, there is also a lot of human suffering in the meat slaughterhouse industry. The work conditions are severely unhealthy. Workers are pressured to undergo extreme mental and physical distress on the chain as well as duress from draconian bosses trying to squeeze out productivity and profit. Workers are often denied healthcare for their work-related injuries and are often fired if they can’t continue to work on the chain with severe injuries. Workers often end up with lifelong injuries. And bosses know how to sidestep OSHA regulators. . . So for those that don’t feel a sense of empathy for the animals, consider your fellow humans.

23 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

In addition to animal suffering, there is also a lot of human suffering in the meat slaughterhouse industry. The work conditions are severely unhealthy. Workers are pressured to undergo extreme mental and physical distress on the chain as well as duress from draconian bosses trying to squeeze out productivity and profit. Workers are often denied healthcare for their work-related injuries and are often fired if they can’t continue to work on the chain with severe injuries. Workers often end up with lifelong injuries. And bosses know how to sidestep OSHA regulators. . . So for those that don’t feel a sense of empathy for the animals, consider your fellow humans.

A good video on what animal agriculture does to workers. Terrible stuff.

Glory to Israel

I just want to say carnivore diet has been the best thing that ever happened to my health next to shrooms. 

0 cravings, 0 bloating, no vitamins, no caffeine, infinite energy- I don’t think I EVER need to sleep. However sleep is important for the brain, muscle memory, learning, could go on forever... so sometimes I take melatonin. But you can just keep eating fat and stay up forever as if you were chugging Red Bull’s, but with absolutely 0 anxiety as a consequence. The amount of times I’ll stay up 20+ hours then sleep 2 hours to go work in the sun all day Only needing water for most of it  is pretty impressive compared to how I’d feel on any other diet 

im not going to lie, I have mixed feelings about meat, I would rather go plant based if I could, I love all the flavors way more and I wish I didn’t have to eat meat but for ethical reasons. I love meat unless I’m thinking about this but I try and think there is no difference between anything and I’m just going with what works best for now which is probably selfish but what are ya gonna do. 

it’s a great diet for minimalism and getting rid of a ton of decision making distractions so you can put more energy into LP. 

I know you aren’t in it for ethical reasons but just saying. 

Edited by rlc

I have been off meat for 15 years and don't crave it at all. My siblings are big meat eaters. I think some people definitely crave it more than others. I think my tolerance to violence is much lower now. 

If you are disgusted by eating meat, you should realize that that's not an accident. You are disgusted by it because you know that you don't really need it and yet you are intimidated by the thought of consuming it. Try not eating meat for a week and see how much happier have you become by avoiding it. If you have (subtle) need to cut out meat then do it and you will feel better.

@Aquarius

Hey Aquarius,

I havent read through the majority of this carnist thread, so I'm not sure all the arguments brought up. (Nor will I) 

I wont argue with anyone over nutrition because, they're wrong. Lol 

But I've been vegan for 9 years. 

I'm incredibly healthy, do yoga, mma and also have my bloodwork checked yearly. I work for hormone/functional medicine doctors of which they highly recommend plant-based diets. Most people who eat animals, need b12 in their diets and have to supplement it. So you can eat an animal with all the negative things attached or you can take a clean supplement. 

I take two supplements of which I'll post photos of. Then I will post the American Dietetic Association's statement in regards to vegan diets. 

received_2422495911374327.jpeg

I can recommend you look for, "whole foods plant based recipes." If you are eating plant-based for health, then that's where you can start. You want to eat what we call, "eating the rainbow." That means your plate should be full of colors. I also recommend you go to a farmers market or the vegetable isle and dont leave unless it's to get rice, beans or other legumes. You wont fuck up, dont worry. You'll just be really confused for a while. 

If you decide to DM me, I'll send you my insta which has all my cooking stuff and I post my meals every day. I eat 80% clean, 20% junk. 

If you have questions or anything, you can message me. I cook a lot so I'm pretty knowledgeable of anything that has to do with food. 

Good luck! ?

20200527_214517.jpg20200527_214504.jpg

"Some people, not me, are a little concerned. Some people, not me, feel you...might be...
demonstrating a failure to show appreciation."
-Russell Bufalino

On 5/20/2020 at 6:10 PM, DrewNows said:

@Aquarius nice pic, you look young. 

I don't post pics of myself, that must have been a model called Ann Kuleshova. I sometimes use pics of books or people that influenced me. Sometimes art. My current pic is a book I am reading now from Pavel Corut. 

Edited by Aquarius

@JessiChell Thanks Jessi. :) 

I was glad to read your post. I am not denying that it's possible to be vegan and healthy. I just couldn't do it myself. Where I am living it is a harder system, and I'm not even financially independent. I'm actually happy I have food on my table. Veganism seems a type of luxury I will only afford if I become a wealthy artist! I don't even get money flowing these months from my own work. 

Right now I'm trying to be real with myself and my life. Face the things I didn't face. I'm so grateful and lucky for my family! I live with my mom and her family, if I lived with dad, I could eat just shitty junk that he does, and couldn't even afford the IDEA of becoming a vegan! He would've beaten me up if I said so in my teens. O.o I'm living through countless dramas and smaller arguments every day in my mom's family, and they are not open to vegan diet. I'm not adding to the pile of small arguments. 

I told them I want to be on my own, and just eat what I make for myself. Or buy for myself. But I have no own money since I just had a recent breakdown, mentally, and now I need their care and supervision reaching for a long time in the future. I even given up the idea of living alone. I could not afford it. I would have to work. And in my town the only work is factory based. Slave work, in a sense.. Unless I become more intelligent and outsmart all these people working as slaves, and become better at my art or my writing. I can do that! I know English. Most people here don't. I know politics, I know environment, I know art, I know history, I'm a read person, I could work towards a better life for myself. Which takes years of dedication and hard work every day. What have I done today to work towards it? Read some sci-fi and worked on some nature study type of art. I'm not even the most read or in any way influential. I don't even have friends who could help me become vegan. Cause I have no friends. Ouch.

And only when on my own and financially stable and independent, can I afford such a diet as veganism. Because I could never convince my family of that diet. They would never give up anything that is meat based. It's not in trend here as in America. People find it weird and outlandish. Only artists like me think of stuff like that. We are more open-minded. 

I respect what you do @JessiChell . I really do. I look up to strong females like you. :) I will remember this thread when I will have money or opportunities to become vegan, but for now, I stay calm and chill out to any guilt-trips. They don't work.

did you say "that's your imagination, mine's representative of many lifetimes" xD

Ayyyyyyy xD 

Oh the doctors must not be given authority over our well being!

Not all the doctors know everything. Most don't even know things right, and got there where they are by money or time invested.

Some procedures that certain so called "doctors" used on me were less useful than the stuff I watched or listened to on YouTube. Like hypnosis, meditation, subliminal, binaural, frequency, quantum field healing, energetically programmed healing audio, spells, etc. And those things on YouTube were free, not costing thousands of dollars or euro. :( Sure, I bought some healing audio at a time of my life when it was needed, but it cost like 2-3 dollars not hundreds. 

And in the end you realise there was nothing wrong with you, you just convinced yourself that there was something missing or messed up. :)

OR at least that was with me. I seemed very hard to heal.. but only because there was nothing to heal, I had simple human problems that needed listening from a friend or a family member, but back then I didn't have anyone by my side. Long story short, be grateful for your friends and families. They are more important than you think. Sometimes they replace psychologists and doctors. :( I learned the hard way.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:10 PM, Serotoninluv said:

I know well of this thing, as I myself had an internet friend whom worked in such place, yet he was vegan. He talked about how they treat the animals and how disgusting it is. I think that's the reason why he went vegan. Poor men/women. They must really need that job is they continue to slave about. 

I know for a fact that some people do seriously shitty jobs just because they don't have money. They even leave their countries for a job opportunity, and once they're inside that place, they can't quit, because they have a family to feed. 

I don't even have a job so I can only empathize with these people. I know how easy it is for me, and how easy it always was. If I was rich I'd probably never buy meat. Even if I was just somewhat independent, I wouldn't have the same diet as now. My body feels like it needs all that stuff right now, but I'm disgusted of what there is around. I'd probably choose from places that are known for animal safety or good animal treatment, if I ever needed the meat or eggs back in my diet. Or simply buy from local farms and local people that grow their own food. We do have that thing. There are still people who live in villages who come and sell their own eggs or milk, and vegetables to my city. Those people are really valuable to me. 

Some of us yes, we do know about all this stuff, here in my community. My ex knew these things, he told me about it. Yet he kept buying it, because he grew up on that diet, or never tried an alternative. I don't know about him. Maybe he stopped caring because he has a family to grow now. Us, here, can only afford to care for ourselves, because it's a cruel world. It's full of cruelties. I'm glad I can afford food, through my caring loving family, I don't afford to think about other people. I'm in a weird place in my life where I am being taken care of, yet I have to think of my future and how I'm going to solve my financial stability and bring "bread" to the table. I cannot get lost in thoughts like these, but I know these realities exist for some of us, unfortunately. I don't know the solution to these problems, that those people have. Maybe they should start a riot, nationwide or internationwide. Maybe they will. I don't know. It's hard going alone against the system. And I'm happy when I see local vegans. I really am. In bigger cities veganism is a real thing they have and they do. Maybe I'll get there in this life, if I'm clever enough. Maybe I'll get on their level.

I'm not yet there, friend, not yet there. But once maybe I can be vegan. When I wrote this original post I had a vegan period in my life when I refused meat. Yet, meat was bought, even for me. Because I'm not the head of the family who thinks about these stuff. I'm just a child, in a sense. No one comes to me for advice on diet or anything. I don't bring bread to the table, yet. I hope you empathize with me too, @Serotoninluv... :( We all have our own problems in this world. Individual and collective problems. 

On 5/20/2020 at 7:39 PM, Roy said:

Don't participate in that. This is your body to take care of, that should be your only concern.

Thanks, @Roy. It's really a more complex thing than it seems. Yes, my body needs nutrition, but I'm not yet financially independent to choose my own diet. I simply accept what is given by my parents. By parents I mean single-parent family. I tried to ask them to help me become vegan, but I don't feel like forcing diets on them that they simply consider as stupid or outrageous. 

I will take care of myself and my own diet when I am independent. Till then, threads like these seem just something that make me even sadder than I cannot do anything about it now. 

We all should be our own best judges in each situation we live in. 

Edited by Aquarius

On 5/23/2020 at 6:38 PM, rlc said:

I just want to say carnivore diet has been the best thing that ever happened to my health next to shrooms. 

0 cravings, 0 bloating, no vitamins, no caffeine, infinite energy- I don’t think I EVER need to sleep. However sleep is important for the brain, muscle memory, learning, could go on forever... so sometimes I take melatonin. But you can just keep eating fat and stay up forever as if you were chugging Red Bull’s, but with absolutely 0 anxiety as a consequence. The amount of times I’ll stay up 20+ hours then sleep 2 hours to go work in the sun all day Only needing water for most of it  is pretty impressive compared to how I’d feel on any other diet 

im not going to lie, I have mixed feelings about meat, I would rather go plant based if I could, I love all the flavors way more and I wish I didn’t have to eat meat but for ethical reasons. I love meat unless I’m thinking about this but I try and think there is no difference between anything and I’m just going with what works best for now which is probably selfish but what are ya gonna do. 

it’s a great diet for minimalism and getting rid of a ton of decision making distractions so you can put more energy into LP. 

I know you aren’t in it for ethical reasons but just saying. 

Thank you @rlc

I respect your diet and your bravery in coming out about your diet in a vegan based community like actualized. I feel most people here try to be more conscious so they choose that diet.

I just try to survive from one day to another. I eat a lot of healthy delicious food my family makes, but I also am guilty for eating tons of pig fat. It helps a lot, and I think it was the reason I grew taller, or at least that's how I heard from friends. I am about 180 right now, when a year ago I was 175. I think gym life also helped. For a girl being tall is not that important, but I thought I'd mention. For science lol.

Yes, I need to forget about this whole meat vs plant based drama. I have problems with my LP. I bought Leo's book list but didn't buy the LP. Sincerely I cannot afford it, and I already know what my top choices are and why. And my life is simply not that easy right now. Also where I live, idk how much the LP course is, but if it's about 150$ that's a whole monthly living for us, me and my family, and most middle class families here. So I'm just going on the path(s) that I've always done and known, with more dedication right now as time is short for me and I'm having many stuff going on nowadays. 

On 5/26/2020 at 0:36 AM, Franz Ferdinand II said:

If you are disgusted by eating meat, you should realize that that's not an accident. You are disgusted by it because you know that you don't really need it and yet you are intimidated by the thought of consuming it. Try not eating meat for a week and see how much happier have you become by avoiding it. If you have (subtle) need to cut out meat then do it and you will feel better.

I felt better, for a short period, but it's harder in my current situation right now. Meat cravings came back after a while and I felt malnourished every time I ate or tried to eat vegan. Maybe it's just not for me. I don't feel cruel for that. Not in my situation I find myself now, of being jobless and depending on the family I grew in more so now than ever. 

There must be a way out of the maze..

@Aquarius Ah, I see you are going through struggles. 

Yes, just let me know if you need help with eating plant-based, etc. 

Also keep in mind, when you do live on your own, veganism is actually cheaper. "Veganism being expensive" is another projection that society touts off on top of all the others to prevent you from changing. It's chronic fear of change. Just jump. 

Meat replacements like, Beyond burgers and such are a luxury. Most vegans live off chickpeas, beans, rice, veggies and fruit. (I literally eat one banana a day. I hate fruit. That's a bad example though)

But when you're ready, let me know 

I wish this picture was smaller but whatever. 
39957066_487947635003076_9206064972214304768_n.jpg

"Some people, not me, are a little concerned. Some people, not me, feel you...might be...
demonstrating a failure to show appreciation."
-Russell Bufalino

One thing that has helped me become vegan is simplifying my diet. Breakfast always oatmeal and fruit. Lunch always fruit or raw vegetables and nuts. Dinner is either a dish with brown rice, beans, quinoa, barley, farro, split peas, whole wheat pasta, white pearl couscous, lentils, etc. I have enough variety that I don't eat the same dish twice in a week, but it's also really simple. I cook everything in an instant pot and am becoming a master at that. I also dropped all processed foods.

Overall this combined with other good habits like exercise, good sleep, meditation, cold showers, etc. has me feeling fantastic.

The surprising thing is I'm never actually very hungry. I mean all I eat from 4:30am until around 7 at night is a cup of oatmeal, a couple pieces of fruit and some nuts.

I'm convinced processed foods actually makes you hungrier.

Who knows how long I can keep up this discipline but it's working now for me and I hope I can do it

Whether it's a rebellion against being overfed meat when growing up or my preferences have changed I too am getting more put off from meat. Meat feels like eating inertia to me. No fibre in it either. Someone else would probably call it "acidic" or something. Compared to the "alkaline" feeling you get from eating a raw beet or raw green pepper. 

Meat, eating it sometimes feels gross. Unless it's tasty. Then I usually accept it but will regret it later, but only slightly.

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@JessiChell i could use some help eating plant based and varying my diet. All i eat is buckwheat with shrooms. If you could some send some easy to make recepies or give advice on nutrients to check up. I already feel healthier but i feel like something is still missing as i am trying out veganism.