Rasheed

Best Time to Go To Sleep?

23 posts in this topic

What is the best time to go to sleep, in order to get maximum benefits from it and wake up with energy? 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

From what I've researched syncing your circadian rhythm to sunlight/darkness improves sleep quality. So getting 9 hours of sleep from going to bed at 3am might not be as beneficial as going to bed at 10/11pm. Usually earlier in the night is when you get your most restful/deep restorative sleep. Later in the night you hit your REM cycles. Personally I have found I feel more rested when I go to bed and wake up earlier, even though I am a night person and often resist the idea. Waking up rested at an earlier hour of the day and getting sunlight exposure earlier is good for the circadian rhythm and helps you naturally wind down again later in the evening. I don't think theres a "best time" and the hectic demands of life sometimes will leave us no choice to go to sleep at odd hours at times, but I think 10/11pm is optimal for most people.  

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

The best time to go to sleep is 8:33pm so you can wake up at 4:26am getting your 7:59 hours sleep for optimal performance. I heard it in a motivational YouTube video somewhere, so it must be true!

Haha who am I kidding, just work out what time you need to wake up and work ~8hrs backwards from there xD

Although i agree with Shiva but regarding the natural rhythms and cycles of man, nature, earth, stars, cosmos ect.. best time for sleep, regeneration, repair and spiritual insight is between 10pm and 2am.

but yes like Shiva said at the end of the day it depends on the Quality and what works best for you.

Ultimately, 90 minutes of full sleep is one full cycle, if you sleep in optimal levels, all you really need per day is this 90 minute cycle but its very rare for someone to be at such a high level of purification where the 90 minutes is enough because of attachments, food, stresses, mental, emotional, physical issues and misalignment and excess baggage 99.9% of people carry, we require more time.

For most people at optimal health 4 hours is usually enough but very few individuals are actually at optimal health so they require more. When you awaken from sleep, you have to feel fully alive and ready to conquer the world, that is how you know you slept good and usually you awaken with the sun so 4 - 6 am is perfect time to rise.

That is just my understanding and opinions, everyone is different but ultimately the perfect human at optimal health would only need 1 or 2 full cycles for a full system restore.

I observed this carefully based on my lifestyle, when i am not eating food, fasting and focusing entirely on spiritual purification and meditation and what not. i only sleep 2 - 4 hours a day and i have full energy for multiple days.

When i eat more food and interact more with society and be more involved with physicality, i require more sleep 5 - 6 hours on average but at times when i slacked of the spiritual path and moved to more heavy and junk foods and poor lifestyle choices i noticed i would sleep much longer 8 + hours but still feel like shit and sluggish even though i slept more.

Find what works best for you :)

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Now ?

Edit

Old hindus used to say you have to wake up by 3:30 in the morning. Its called Brahma muhurtham. Brahmins used to wake up at that time and chanted vedas and did there rites. At that time atmosphere has something to it that makes you learn things easily.  In yogic tradition they say your dinner should be before sunset. And by the time u sleep ur body should have already digested the food. 

My sleep is like 6-7 hrs i cannot sleep more than that so ideal time for me would be anything arround 9 if i consider waking up at brahma muhurtha.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

9 hours ago, pluto said:

Although i agree with Shiva but regarding the natural rhythms and cycles of man, nature, earth, stars, cosmos ect.. best time for sleep, regeneration, repair and spiritual insight is between 10pm and 2am.

but yes like Shiva said at the end of the day it depends on the Quality and what works best for you.

Ultimately, 90 minutes of full sleep is one full cycle, if you sleep in optimal levels, all you really need per day is this 90 minute cycle but its very rare for someone to be at such a high level of purification where the 90 minutes is enough because of attachments, food, stresses, mental, emotional, physical issues and misalignment and excess baggage 99.9% of people carry, we require more time.

For most people at optimal health 4 hours is usually enough but very few individuals are actually at optimal health so they require more. When you awaken from sleep, you have to feel fully alive and ready to conquer the world, that is how you know you slept good and usually you awaken with the sun so 4 - 6 am is perfect time to rise.

That is just my understanding and opinions, everyone is different but ultimately the perfect human at optimal health would only need 1 or 2 full cycles for a full system restore.

I observed this carefully based on my lifestyle, when i am not eating food, fasting and focusing entirely on spiritual purification and meditation and what not. i only sleep 2 - 4 hours a day and i have full energy for multiple days.

When i eat more food and interact more with society and be more involved with physicality, i require more sleep 5 - 6 hours on average but at times when i slacked of the spiritual path and moved to more heavy and junk foods and poor lifestyle choices i noticed i would sleep much longer 8 + hours but still feel like shit and sluggish even though i slept more.

Find what works best for you :)

What you said is extremely true. 

16 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

From what I've researched syncing your circadian rhythm to sunlight/darkness improves sleep quality. So getting 9 hours of sleep from going to bed at 3am might not be as beneficial as going to bed at 10/11pm. Usually earlier in the night is when you get your most restful/deep restorative sleep. Later in the night you hit your REM cycles. Personally I have found I feel more rested when I go to bed and wake up earlier, even though I am a night person and often resist the idea. Waking up rested at an earlier hour of the day and getting sunlight exposure earlier is good for the circadian rhythm and helps you naturally wind down again later in the evening. I don't think theres a "best time" and the hectic demands of life sometimes will leave us no choice to go to sleep at odd hours at times, but I think 10/11pm is optimal for most people.  

I too think 10-11 is the best time

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Rasheed For me (and I've had to accommodate a few different sleep patterns over the years, so I've got some experience) I found the best energy I had was when I was self employed and had the freedom to sleep when I wanted. I would naturally go to sleep around 11 and wake up at about 7.45 -8 sometimes 9 depending on what I was doing the previous day. I never set an alarm, and I think that was the most important contribution to how I felt the next day. 

I have even done night work and slept in the day (which was also really nice and not a problem). But there is something about working at night and living that kind of life that didn't sit well well with me. I got depressed . Maybe it was because of lack of sunlight and being around others. I truly believe humans are social animals and we all thrive off similar physical circumstances. 

3 hours ago, Nickyy said:

@Rasheed For me (and I've had to accommodate a few different sleep patterns over the years, so I've got some experience) I found the best energy I had was when I was self employed and had the freedom to sleep when I wanted. I would naturally go to sleep around 11 and wake up at about 7.45 -8 sometimes 9 depending on what I was doing the previous day. I never set an alarm, and I think that was the most important contribution to how I felt the next day. 

I have even done night work and slept in the day (which was also really nice and not a problem). But there is something about working at night and living that kind of life that didn't sit well well with me. I got depressed . Maybe it was because of lack of sunlight and being around others. I truly believe humans are social animals and we all thrive off similar physical circumstances. 

When you did not set an alarm, how you slept? By asking how I mean, did you wake up in the middle of the sleep and then went back to sleep, or you had one uninterrupted sleep? 

@Rasheed In all honesty I rarely have uninterrupted sleep. I always have to get up to at least visit the bathroom. But at that time, when I was free to sleep when I wanted, I was in a good routine and had a nice 8-9 hours sleep every night and woke up naturally. The sleep was good, but the biggest benefit was how I felt during the day, I never got tired, never had a post lunchtime crash, never felt irritable. It was good. 

I just thought of another thing that helped with the quality of my sleep, and that is drinking bone broth. I exprerience such good restful sleep when I drink that stuff. It's full of glycine which is supposed to be a nutrient that has something to do with sleeping better. 

But for me, no alarm, go to bed at the same time daily, and not stressing about travelling to work 

12 hours ago, Nickyy said:

@Rasheed In all honesty I rarely have uninterrupted sleep. I always have to get up to at least visit the bathroom. But at that time, when I was free to sleep when I wanted, I was in a good routine and had a nice 8-9 hours sleep every night and woke up naturally. The sleep was good, but the biggest benefit was how I felt during the day, I never got tired, never had a post lunchtime crash, never felt irritable. It was good. 

I just thought of another thing that helped with the quality of my sleep, and that is drinking bone broth. I exprerience such good restful sleep when I drink that stuff. It's full of glycine which is supposed to be a nutrient that has something to do with sleeping better. 

But for me, no alarm, go to bed at the same time daily, and not stressing about travelling to work 

Thanks, your advice is very helpful. In my opinion, eating organic vegetables and fruits, really help with sleep. Also, not drinking water lots of water before bed, promotes good sleep.

1 hour ago, Austin Actualizing said:

Before 11pm

Why?

11 hours ago, Rasheed said:

Thanks, your advice is very helpful. In my opinion, eating organic vegetables and fruits, really help with sleep. Also, not drinking water lots of water before bed, promotes good sleep.

I understand your point but can sleeping without an alarm clock lead to over-sleeping?

Some tips on reseting your circadian rhythm are: getting more sunlight exposure earlier in the day, not eating close to bedtime (get a 12-14 hour fast daily), and not having blue light exposure before bedtime. Melatonin is a good short term helper for reseting the circadian rhythm, especially if you are traveling into different time zones. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

17 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

Some tips on reseting your circadian rhythm are: getting more sunlight exposure earlier in the day, not eating close to bedtime (get a 12-14 hour fast daily), and not having blue light exposure before bedtime. Melatonin is a good short term helper for reseting the circadian rhythm, especially if you are traveling into different time zones. 

Circadian rhythm is very important, I have one question: Is it better to go to sleep 10pm, 10:30, or 11am?

2 hours ago, Rasheed said:

Circadian rhythm is very important, I have one question: Is it better to go to sleep 10pm, 10:30, or 11am?

I think it just comes down to your schedule (how early you have to wake up) or how sleepy you are. I think 10pm is optimal, but 10:30/11 are totally fine. It wont make too big of a difference. I would do some personal experimentation. See how you feel going to bed at 10 vs 11. Once you get to midnight/1am then at that point you might start seeing diminished recovery from sleeping and will probably feel a little less rested in the morning. 

Personally I feel great when I can fall asleep early, get a full 8 hours and wake up early in the morning(7/8am). Better than I do when I go to sleep late (12/1am) still get 8-9 hours and wake up mid to late morning. 

12 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

I think it just comes down to your schedule (how early you have to wake up) or how sleepy you are. I think 10pm is optimal, but 10:30/11 are totally fine. It wont make too big of a difference. I would do some personal experimentation. See how you feel going to bed at 10 vs 11. Once you get to midnight/1am then at that point you might start seeing diminished recovery from sleeping and will probably feel a little less rested in the morning. 

Personally I feel great when I can fall asleep early, get a full 8 hours and wake up early in the morning(7/8am). Better than I do when I go to sleep late (12/1am) still get 8-9 hours and wake up mid to late morning. 

I too think going to bed early is much much better. Thanks. 

On 11/5/2019 at 1:11 PM, see_on_see said:

After years of trying all sorts of rhythms and experimenting with it, I highly disagree that it's just about the amount of hours. 

Sleeping at night is far better than sleeping in the day. Right now I'm waking up at around 5am to 6am and I find it the best. 

What time do you go to bed in order to wake up from 5am to 6am?

Currently trying to reset my circadian rhythm to get up earlier. I have always had poor sleep latency for the most part for years. When my head hits to pillow it takes me a long time to calm my mind and drift off to sleep. 

I usually get in bed around 11/11:30 and wake up around 8:30/9

Last night I had my last calorie at 8:45pm, drank chamomile/valerian tea, took a 3mg melatonin at 9:30, and drank a serving of kava kava root at 9:45pm

Head hit the pillow at 10, didnt fall asleep till 10:45is, but woke up at 7:30am. Felt really rested this morning. 

Tonight will try to have my last calorie earlier and be in bed by 9:30 to wake up at 7am. 6;30/7 is my goal wake up time, going to experiment to see if I can feel better, be more productive and get more muscle recovery from my workouts by waking up earlier. 

On 11/4/2019 at 11:58 PM, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

Do you do Static Stretching before bed in order improve muscle recovery after working out?

3 hours ago, Rasheed said:

Do you do Static Stretching before bed in order improve muscle recovery after working out?

I don't really do static stretching too much unless its to improve a tissue thats overly tight/sore and its needed in order to improve my mobility. Dynamic stretching is more beneficial overall, gets your blood flowing more for recovery. 

The first thing I do when I wake up is do foam rolling and other soft tissue release with a ball. This is good because it gets things moving in your lymphatic system, flushing out toxins, which can help your immune system. I like mobility as a routine in the morning but sometimes I do it before bed. I think it comes down to your preference. However when you do stretching/mobility work, it helps you get ready for actual movement like a workout, if you do it before bed you are just staying still for hours so its not going to improve movement quality the next day. So if you had to pick I think the morning would be best.