Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Byun Sean

difficulty finding my niche

16 posts in this topic

Hey Guys! I recently took Leo's life purpose course. Amazing course btw. If u see this Leo you kick ass dude 10/10

Anyways I discovered my life purpose revolves around professional video editing. Like I'm really passionate about taking some mundane video clips or just some footage about any topic, and make it into a beautiful work of art using my editing skills alone.

The struggle I'm having is that I'm trying to combine the following to create a real tangible niche in the market place

Wanted impact: Raise the collective consciousness

Zone of Genius: Vision and Create beautiful art that inspires people

ideal medium: Video editing 

Signature Strengths

Love of Learning: usually around personal development/ spirituality

Judgement, Critical thinking, open-mindedness

Appreciation of beauty and excellence

Rough draft incomplete plan using interests, passions, strengths: 

Artistic edited music videos revolved around personal development

Whats missing?

I have no idea how to produce the raw clips/ content. I don't enjoy speaking in front of a camera very much but once I have some raw clips to work with and edit, I go to town and get in the flow state and its awesome.

I've researched professional video editing a bit and it seems that most editors have clients send videos to them to edit.

I'm still researching although it seems most people on the planet aren't interested in hiring a video editor who specifically wants to edit artistic videos to help raise and inspire the collective to raise their consciousness, they usually want to market a product or edit a promotional video for their business to sell some mundane product.

To make my own business I figured I need to create and produce my own art somehow. However I've tried out drawing, animation, 3d modeling, but i dont seem to be passionate about any of these and they don't line up with my strengths either. 

What do you guys think? What have I not considered? Do you guys have any ideas how I could somehow produce my own art? 

I'm still in the very early phases of the research process so I appreciate and am open to all opinions and ideas.

I'm very similar to you in terms of life purpose. I think for me I'm going to be actually working towards “filmmaking” as a medium rather than just video editing though. 

Why not do the same? Create and edit the content yourself? 

one of my top values is contribution and impact. I feel a strong urge to raise the collective consciousness. How I combine that with a passion for video editing I'm not sure yet. Because of that, if I edit videos just for like any run of the mill business, I'm not going to feel that my work is very meaningful to me.

Edited by Byun Sean

@Byun Sean You can craft a niche for yourself over time and find projects to work on that are meaningful to you. 

But it might take a while to get to that point if you dont have much experience. So maybe you need to build up your experience level by initially taking on projects that don't feel as meaningful to you. Just keep directing your career towards your vision and in the long term you'll get there. 

yeah. I think you might be right. I  guess what bothers me is I don't even have a clear picture of what kind of videos I'll be making, what content, what exacts style. But maybe I Just gotta trust the process that I will have realizations, breakthroughs, and opportunties that come my way as a result of sticking to the path. I just gotta take the leap with a vision without having to know everything I suppose. Thank you for your input.

In this case a realistic path forward would involve you first working on commercial videos to build up your skills, experience, and reputation. Then you could branch off and start a company/service where you specifically target more artsy clients who can appreciate what you offer.

When you start business you usually have to send some years cutting your teeth on commercial work.

In fact many filmmakers began their careers working literally on TV commercials. Working on artsy projects is usually something you have to earn.

There are niches for artsy work but you'll have to figure out who those clients would be and what kind of services they need.

But also, don't get too attached to your medium. You should be somewhat flexible about your medium. The medium should ultimately serve your highest impact. If your medium is too limiting, consider upgrading to something which more directly serves your impact statement. Why are you so attached to editing being the way for raising collective consciousness. There might be more direct ways of raising collective consciousness than splicing videos.

Or maybe then you don't really care about raising collective consciousness? Maybe you care more about video? In which case you need to re-think your impact statement.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

In this case a realistic path forward would involve you first working on commercial videos to build up your skills, experience, and reputation. Then you could branch off and start a company/service where you specifically target more artsy clients who can appreciate what you offer.

When you start business you usually have to send some years cutting your teeth on commercial work.

In fact many filmmakers began their careers working literally on TV commercials. Working on artsy projects is usually something you have to earn.

There are niches for artsy work but you'll have to figure out who those clients would be and what kind of services they need.

But also, don't get too attached to your medium. You should be somewhat flexible about your medium. The medium should ultimately serve your highest impact. If your medium is too limiting, consider upgrading to something which more directly serves your impact statement. Why are you so attached to editing being the way for raising collective consciousness. There might be more direct ways of raising collective consciousness than splicing videos.

Or maybe then you don't really care about raising collective consciousness? Maybe you care more about video? In which case you need to re-think your impact statement.

I thought about this deeply and you are right I think. I'm too attached to the medium of video editing. I definitely care way more about raising collective consciousness when I vision my life 10-20 years from now. I do resonate and have a passion for learning personal development+psychology/ the stuff you present here on actualized.org but thats extremely broad I guess I have no idea what I could do with that in terms of job/ niche at the moment. I'm gonna have to do some more small bets, researching, and poking around to find that needle in the haystack I guess. Thanks for your advice Leo.

-Sean

Instead of being judgmental and dismissive, you could take on clients that you deem "low-consciousness", and subtly raise their consciousness while working with them, whilst at the same time giving them what they want.

Maybe that can be a motivating angle :)

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

Ah I had an apiffany. I remembered I’m actually pretty good at explaining about whatever I’m passionate about even though the idea if being on camera makes me uncomfortable. and one of my signature strengths is critical/strategic thinking. Combine that with personal development that raises the collective consciousness and the ideal medium of video and BOOM

im a youtuber baby??

ill definitely grind out a video as a small bet and see how it goes. To hold myself accountable I will update this thread within a weeks time with the results

@Byun Sean you could start connecting with people from any film school, you could make a post on the blackboard of the school, of course this work would be free, they might miss exactly that to produce something, you could put that up at every creative space in your closer sourounding be it design or art or dance, or you try to find someone who is into journalism, maybe sports journalism or other kinds - build a team or get part of an existing team for a while, it`s like founding a band, you could produce some high class content with, of course everyone in the team should be skilled in what they do, the output you can put it in your profile and then start to find a company that hires you. best is if you show that you can edit different kinds of work. or the other way would be to found a one man company do some comercial for yourself with your work and send it to some artists who are on the rise, you`d need to do a bit of research for that, of course here you`d do the editing not for free. connections and the right team are often the most difficult part, and that´s usually something we don`t really learn in any kind of school. but if you choose a team for the work they are doing it`s already boosting your possibilities as an editor.

you could maybe even ask in film school for uncut material...if they don`t already have editors there...maybe it´s more about acting schools. usually every actor wants some material to promote themselfs, also i could imagine it`s the same for people wo want to go into some kind of tv journalism, so it would be a win win.

1 hour ago, remember said:

usually every actor wants some material to promote themselfs, also i could imagine it`s the same for people wo want to go into some kind of tv journalism, so it would be a win win.

@Byun Sean That's what I also thought. Maybe you can form partnerships with other artists who are more focused on making raw material. You'd have to find some people with a similar "raising consciousness" vision, but since there are artists who want to inspire people or make them aware of global problems. Can you imagine being the tech/IT expert for people making a documentary? (note that I don't understand the industry)

Why people associate the idea of life purpose to choosing a career inside the matrix of wage slavery?

Im sure that if you asked to a black slave in Missisipi in 1860 what is his life purpose, he wouldnt say: I want to attain spiritual enlightenment, or create something useful, of have a big impact in the world, no.

He would ask, my purpose in life is to be free.

Everybody is lost in stage orange and green dreams, but they dont see the cage and the jail bars.

Edited by Moreira

On 10/2/2019 at 2:01 AM, Byun Sean said:

I'm gonna have to do some more small bets, researching, and poking around

Definitely

At this stage in your life it's very open-ended. This is a great thing because it presents so much opportunity. Yet it can be daunting and paralyzing because you don't know where to start. Lots of research is a much. Explore what's possible. Don't just copy me. There's so much more to expanding consciousness than what I demonstrate or teach.

There are a million ways to help expand consciousness. Find your niche. Think outside the box.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Hey, if you ever want practice editing some raw content on this topic, I have the content (or am willing to make more on similar like-minded topics).

If I could afford to pay you I probably would, but the point is if you wanted to create a niche in this area, there's probably enough content creators out there doing this that you could approach. 

Like seek out their videos and offer to make one of your amazing montage's. All your past work can be in your own channel so you can just point them there to see. You could also leave a watermark throughout each video or your signature at the end so if people liked a video they saw organically, they know who did it and where to find you. 

I’ve made major progress in my search. YouTube small bet didn’t work out. Update:

Strongpoint: strategic thinking and problem solving 

passion: learning about personal development/psychology, and spirituality 

Vision: being one of the scientists to help bridge the gap in understanding between science and mysticism 

wanted impact: change the education system to teach higher consciousness teachings 

planned path: become a transpersonal therapist/coach to give me some footing in the market place while I continue my research and eventually submit and present my work to the public and possibly write a book in the process 

What do you guys think? I’m a bit scared of this one because it’s radical but I feel like my only longing is to investigate reality and share it with the world. Education is the place I think needs most change.